Toyota trouble!

choptopbII

i hate when toyota does this because then i have to go to work the next day and hear... "oh guess that's just another reason to buy American" And a bunch of other smart ass comments from co workers.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
From what I read with the original issue, they've got some odd systems in place-- so the old "neutral, kill the motor" isn't quite that easy on some models?

Corban_White

All of this for a silly issue with floor mats... Ouch.

2 separate issues. The floor mats is self explanatory but this new one is in the throttle itself and affects different vehicles (with some overlap) than the floor mat one. Toyota has yet to determine the cause which is the reason for the shutdown.

bruzer

i hate when toyota does this because then i have to go to work the next day and hear... "oh guess that's just another reason to buy American" And a bunch of other smart ass comments from co workers.

Just remind them that the toyota your driving is more american than the Ford or Dodge they drove to work in(most made in mexico). Most Toyota's built in the last several years are american made. Atleast the one's here in the U.S.

rollover

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20100127/D9DFQBDG2.html

Suspending production? That seems pretty drastic. Wonder what's going on w/their engineers. :confused:

Toyota has been working with this for months. Recalling and replacing the defective parts. I'm sure they have found the problem and the solution to fix it.

My money is on Toyota's shut down of plants to re-tool the lines. The same part is in all 8 lines so the most logical way to remove future problems is to re-tool the lines for the new parts. Wires, clips, modules, supply lines, retrofit issues...... this all takes time. It takes a mass of engineers to make a small change to the assembly line like an inch or two difference in placement or add a retaining clip in a step of production. After that the problem is eliminated from the assembly lines.

Toyota will continue to recall and repair all the ones at Dealerships and the ones in traffic as they have been doing and be done with it.

You dont make a drastic move like this unless your sure you have a solution to rectify it.

I'm sure Toyota will be able to swing it in their favor for being pro-active.

JMHO

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
We were told today that GM is offering an additional $1000 on top of existing incentives to help Toyota owners out of their leases.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I'm not sure that a sticking accelerator would be slightly defective when you're behind the wheel. The current Malibu is a much nicer car than the Camry and gets better MPG. After this incident, it will have better resale as well.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It's not a sticking accelerator though, that's the thing. It was a floormat issue. And then there were other things that made the standard response to a sticky throttle more or less undoable under stress-- shift to neutral, turn the key off-- not as easy on certain Toyotas from what I read.