Toyota Truck/Truggy Build

KWight

After contemplating my next build I came back to the old adage "Why build a Jeep when you can buy/build a Toyota for less?".

I went to a few Garage Sales this past weekend and found my next project, A 1982 Toyota Truggy project that the previous owner started but soon gave up on. He was asking $500 for it, but said he would take $400. I went home and thought about it for about an hour then went back. This is what I ended up getting for $250:

The bed rails have been cut off and the shortbed has been bobbed about 12inches. I plan on doing a flat bed eventually. The interior has been stripped of all creature comforts (including radio and heater). The truck runs and drives and the 4x4 is in working order as well. The frame appears to be sound but I do need to rebuild the front axle as the seals are leaking.

My plans are:

1. Bolt down the roll bar and get rid of those sheet metal screws that are currently holding it on.

2. Add a CB radio in the cab, possibly reinstall a heater down the road

3. Build a front and rear bumper

4. 4 or 5 inches of lift via All Pro springs or Chevy/F-150 rear springs and rears up front

5. Put on a set of used 35" to 37" inch tires

6. Lincoln lock the rear axle and maybe front as well. Keep the stock 4:10 gears for now

7. External Roll cage for cab and rear of truck. Add a seat in the rear for extra passengers

I am open to ideas so let me know what you think.

Kevin

Last edited:

tj1230

Sounds like you got a helluva deal. $250 is a pretty good price for a running vehicle. Looks as though you got you a good plan started. What motor is in it? Hows that running? I'd upgrade the carb, and the exhaust and roll with the rest of your plan. The roll cage is a great idea, I have personally tested the roll cages that a few people have put in( not by choice) but it's needed. How are the seats doing? One of my good friends had one that year, we replaced the already bucket seats with some racing ones, a new set of cheap harness and then custom built a center console for the radio and switches.
Anyways enough ranting. Good Deal and Good Luck Keep us posted with pictures and updates.

KWight

I forgot to mention those areas. The engine is a 22R and seems to run strong. The carburetor seems to work well, the gas needs to be pumped a few times before turning over the engine but it fires right up. The brakes and clutch are all very solid. I tested the 4x4 before I bought it although I did not lock the front hubs. The wipers, washer pump and lights all work. The turn signals are wired up but I need to fabricate some bumpers and get some LED lights to install. The heater controls, core and fan are MIA as is the radio and other gauges, aside from the speedometer.

The drivers side door looks like it took a hit from an axe. The passenger door received 5 shots from a small caliber gun (the bullets did not go all the way through the door). The seat is trashed but usable so I will be looking for a replacement bench seat. The previous owner had installed an exhaust stack on it and put a hole in the floor of the bed for the pipe to go through. The seller took it off and I did not want it either.

I found an ad for someone that is parting out a 1st Generation Toyota Truck and they are asking the following prices:

$150 front All Pro Lift springs with shocks
$100 rear All Pro Lift springs with shocks
$??? Both Doors (I am thinking $25 each)
$??? High Steer kit (not sure what to offer)
$??? Front bench seat (I am thinking $20-30)

Kevin

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like a great project Kevin! Those prices for the used parts are really good, All Pro springs are quality parts, they will make that Toyota work well. You may need to buy or build a front spring hanger for the spring perches, if the springs are built for moving the axle forward.

BTW.... nice hood scoop. :p

Erik d_lux

My buddy Gomer is selling tons of SR5 stuff for cheap. We cut his toyota up, you can see it in the thread "DLUX and Gomer build a Yota".

PM me if you want his number.

KWight

Recent picture to show the progress

I thought I would post a recent picture to show the progress I have made so far: Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures, I have got to find my camera.

So far I have:

1. Replaced front seat from a newer Toyota Truck
2. Installed a heater
3. Bolted down the roll bar
4. Khaki Paint Job
5. Added MT Tires and Rockcrawler wheels I had laying around
6. Replaced spark plugs, gas pump and set the timing/idle to specs
7. Thought I needed a new Head gasket, but was stuck thermostat, fixed
8. Fixed oil leak from valve cover seal
9. Replaced front doors, old doors saved for future half doors project

Next Up:
1. Install 4" lift kit, but do rears up front instead of aftermarket springs
2. Purchase and install High Steer kit
3. Fabricate and install flat bed
4. Install CB and Stereo
5. Fabricate roll cage
6. Bigger tires and Lincoln Lock rear

I purchased a top shift Transfer case for $40 and plan on doing a dual Tcase within the next year when the funds come along.

I know of another top shift Tcase for the same price if anyone is interested.

Kevin

Yota

Looks to be coming along good. I have another top shift in the garage too, hopefully I can tackle that sometime this coming year.
What is your ultimate goal with this truck? street legal? camping/hunting? hardcore rock crawling?

KWight

What is your ultimate goal with this truck? street legal? camping/hunting? hardcore rock crawling?

My ultimate goal is a Moderately (budget) built rockcrawler that can still be street legal enough to make it to and from the trails. I live near Billings and 21 Road in Grand Junction, CO, so those will be the proving grounds. I hope to get it built good enough to run some of the harder trails that Colorado and Eastern Utah have to offer.

looking forward to this build!

It will be a slow build as time and funds allow. I will post up from time to time the progress I am making.

Kevin