Toyota Tundra Axle Strength

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
I need a serious tow rig. I have a heavy 20' trailer with either a FSJ Wagoneer, a CJ-7 Rock Crawler, and occasionaly a '80 GMC 2500. Thinking about using the 2000 Tundra in the meantime with some air bags. It has plenty of power with the 4.7 V8 but the rear springs are not up to it. My main concern is if the rear end is up to the weight. I know the Tundra rear end is supposed to be pretty beffy but what do you think?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Aren't they like 8.875 ring gear or something. Plus I know there the same axle spline as the toyota 8 inch. Sounds cloe to the strength of a dana 44, maybe a little more. All I can think about is the nissan titan rear 44 and how I rear it explodes with a heavy load. Hopes this helps

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The Tundras have a max. towing capacity of 6k lbs, which isn't bad, but isn't all that much either.

The rear axle has a 8" ring gear. I actually have one of these axles, it was under my 4Runner, but I swapped it out for a Tacoma e-locker axle. While it's bigger than the standard, older Toyota 8", it's not a huge axle. Here's more on the axle-

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#T100-Tundra

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Your '80 GMC 2500 would be a much more appropriate tow rig than the Tundra, unfortunately.

robfisher

radjeeper said:
I need a serious tow rig. I have a heavy 20' trailer with either a FSJ Wagoneer, a CJ-7 Rock Crawler, and occasionaly a '80 GMC 2500. Thinking about using the 2000 Tundra in the meantime with some air bags. It has plenty of power with the 4.7 V8 but the rear springs are not up to it. My main concern is if the rear end is up to the weight. I know the Tundra rear end is supposed to be pretty beffy but what do you think?

Sounds like it's time to step up to a diesel! In the mean time you can eliminate the weight problem with an equalizer hitch, go down to any of the local trailer stores and ask them to show you one. They are a good and cheap fix to your towing problems. If you keep pulling with the small V8 you will end up killing it sooner or later. Plus nothing pulls like a turbo diesel and at the prices that they have on them now you can't go wrong.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
Thanks for the feed back. Anyone really tested the capacity of one of these axles (The GMC doesn't have AC). Anyone heard about the new Toyota 3/4 ton?

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
radjeeper said:
Thanks for the feed back. Anyone really tested the capacity of one of these axles (The GMC doesn't have AC). Anyone heard about the new Toyota 3/4 ton?

Pug fugly and as usual with Toyota it is underpowered.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
You'd be amazed how much power the 4.7 has. I rolled a previous Tundra and thought about buying it back just for the engine. Would be great in a rock crawler.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
radjeeper said:
You'd be amazed how much power the 4.7 has. I rolled a previous Tundra and thought about buying it back just for the engine. Would be great in a rock crawler.

I heard they were going 5.7 in the new "fullsize" model.

A 350 wont compete with a D-max.

ace

Parts Collector
I just passed a 1/2 truck on the highway the other day towing a heavy trailer where his c-clip axle was broke and the wheel rode out about 2 feet before he made it to the curb. This is why you don't tow with halftons.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
radjeeper said:

Who needs a/c when you have a real truck, A/C is for suckers!:rofl:

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
I was on tundrasolutions.com and think I've got my answer. Guys are towing 7000 lb. plus trailers with their Tundras. The new Tundra is rated to tow about 9500 lbs. and the rear end looks to be the same. I think with adding air bags I'll be fine. Anyone know where a truck scale is in SLC so that I can find out the weight of my trailer and Jeep. Of course I'll tow it to the scale w/ the GMC.

"Don't say the things impossible,
The chances are you'll rue it.
When some one else comes along,
And unknowingly they do it."

Last edited:

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
radjeeper said:
The new Tundra is rated to tow about 9500 lbs.

And my XJ is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. That doesnt mean its a good idea.

I was going through the same thing a couple months ago. I wanted to tow serious stuff without a serious tow rig.

Remember that fixing or adding A/C to the GMC will be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper then putting a new tranny and rear end in your Tundra.

1993yj

If you want a scale drive to the dump in South Jordan. They have a scale and usually weigh you in and out if you have a large enough load on a trailer so they know how much to charge you. You might be able to get them to weigh you.

toyrunner

I have one of those!

I pull a 6000 LB Air stream with my 2000 tundra. The truck is rated for 7000 LBs.
I am running stock springs with a good distribution hitch. The tongue weight is about 900-1000 LBs. It bottoms out when I hit big bumps at high speed but that doesn't happen enough to concern me. As far as power - if you keep it in the high RPMs going up hill you will do fine. Coming back from Flaming Gorge toward Strawberry I can maintain 60 the whole way. I pass some pretty big trucks carrying the same size loads. Its not a comfortable puller with that kind of load, you have to be aware that the trailer will push you a little more than if you where in a BIG truck.

If you are looking for a good all around truck that is also capable of the occasional tow the Tundra is a great truck. Anyone who has complained about them has never owned one.

Just be careful of you weights.

Last edited: