Toyota V6

MattL

Just wondering what the specs are on this motor. I havent heard much complaining or admiring compaired to the 22r and 22re.

I am on my way to look at a toy and it supposed to have a probem matic v6 and need info on it. Dunno what is wrong should know soon though.

Just wanting others info on this motor.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I used to work in a shop that specalized in Toyotas and the general concensus of the V6 was that it sucked. Usually they needed rebuilds quite often (Compared to a 22RE), had poor performance & power, etc. I have never owned one myself though.....

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
Alright has anyone tried swapping a 22re in where a 3.0 was? I've heard it was a pain putting the 3.0 in. I was just wondering, because we're getting a runner with a 3.0 in it. And I thought that if it ever went I would swap a 22re in its place, because I know they will take a beating. It'll probably last quite a while though cause my fiance is the one driving it:D

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
3.0V6 flat out sucks. Although it does make better low end torque than the 22R.

If you are going to swap in something, I highly recommend the 7M motor. The N/A can easily produce 220HP with 220 ft/lbs of torque with very few mods. Only problem would be the bellhousing. You would have to lose the v6 tranny and stick in a G or W series. You would have to get a different bellhousing anyway to get it to bolt to the 22R.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think when I eventually decide the 22RE has had enough of a beating, a Non-Turbo 7M will find its way under the hood of my truck. 220/220 is comparable to a 4.3 swap, but keeps it all Toyota parts.

Speaking of........ Does Nate still have that white Supra?

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Nate does still have the white Supra. It's just got some problems right now. He was the one that just helped me bob my bed. I wouldn't talk about the 4.3 in front of Rob, he doesn't have anything nice to say about it! Totally....if you can keep it Toyota, all the better!! The 7m isn't even all that expensive. I plan on getting the same motor for my Toy. Maybe a little ways off now that I got accepted to Weber for the Toyota T-TEN program. I still can't decide on the turbo or non-turbo.

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Yeah, I like the 4.3 about as much as the 3.0.

The reason I like the I6, is because of the torque curve. An inline will almost always have a much smoother torque curve, that just seems to keep on going, were V designs drop off about as quick as they made it.

But, if all you want is low end power so you can just romp on the gas and go, that is where the V will take the inline.

Greg, whenever you are ready, gimme a call. I will give you a hand with the swap if you would want it. I can even hook you up with the parts to do the swap too.

Last edited:

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
The 7M motor I take it is th one from the supras ey? My brother showed me someone doing that swap on the net before. I liked the idea of that, just forgot about I guess. It'll probably be quite a while off too. My fiance is the one driving it, and I'm hoping it'll last a few years before it goes so I can get her something else, and then the 90 will be mine for modification (motor, lift, tires, gears, sas ect ect):D IS the 4.3 not very reliable? Just wondering cause my brother is thinkimg the next time a motor goes in his thats what he wants. I was thinking 350, but he wants the room of a v-6. Just curious if anyone has done the sas on 2nd gen 4-runners, do most stay with the coil rear and do a coil mod on the front or go to all leaf sprung?

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Yeah, the 7M is from the supra.

Check out my site

www.supracharged.com

Some people like the 4.3, some people don't. It is all preference. I think the 4.3 can be pretty reliable.

I also did a SAS on my 2 gen 4runner. I ended up getting rid of the coil, and going 56" all-pro springs in the rear.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Wow! I guess that makes 4 if you count the 4x4.4t.com name!
Is there a purpose to having more that one? Possibly more people viewing? Do you not pay for your domain names?

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
4x4.4t.com, I don't use it anymore. It is actually just a redirect to one of my other domains.

Yeah, I pay for them.

Eventually I will have different stuff on each site, but for now, I am too busy to even think about it.