Tracker/Sidekick-based beater ideas

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Since my wanted thread has gained some attention and ideas have already been thrown around concerning the basic plan, I figured now would be a good time to discuss what I'm thinking.

I wouldn't expect it to be anything super capable like a true rock buggy once it was all said and done, but I do think it would have quite a bit of potential to be fun.

My initial thought was taking a two door Sidekick and completely stripping the body, then tubing it out like a buggy by building off the factory frame. I would find one with an automatic, lock up the rear axle and run 33's (33x10.5x15's would be ideal) on the stock drivetrain. I would probably leave the front diff open in the meantime and just to prevent breaking CV axles, but there are some good upgrades out there for putting Toyota CV's in the front of IFS Suzukis, as well as steel axle housing from a Vitara. With those mods, a front locker and 35's are very possible.

It would kind of be a crossover between a side by side and a rock crawler, with no expectations about it being super capable. I do think with a short wheelbase, 33's and a rear locker (and possibly adding deeper gears to the transfer case), it would have some potential to be pretty capable in Moab.

I would want to build the tube work so that it had decent clearance under the rockers and as good as possible clearance on the approach and departure angles. I would think with 33's in that short wheelbase with no lift it should be able to scrape its way over most anything that wasn't too terribly difficult.

The idea would be to have something fairly cheap, that's almost as capable as a side by side. I would imagine it would be plenty capable for 90% of the trails in Moab. Sure it probably wouldn't handle very well at high speed like the latest long-travel side by sides would, but something like this would be geared more towards a desert explorer that had some capability in the rocks.

At the very least I could fab up the mounts for a snow plow and use it to clear snow in the winter time at our house... :rofl:

After thinking more about the original plan of stripping the body and building a tube chassis off the frame, I came across a Tracker that had the top cut off and a pretty simple, yet clean roll cage was installed in place of the top. It would be simpler to build, I could keep it plated and still drive it on the road all while maintain a heater, stock gauges, etc. Cut sheetmetal to fit the 33's and keep it decently low. I saw this one and really liked how it was built...

4641058240_731d6f81a6.jpg

Anyone have any specific info or possibly a build thread on this Tracker pictured above? It does have a solid axle and those tires look to be 35's.... I would prefer to keep the IFS and stay with tires no larger than 33's, but really like the roof chop.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've always liked this idea. I saw the build for the first one Steve posted in the other thread from years ago and love it. I think the ifs would be fun for go fast-ish stuff and jumps. I think leaving most of the body would look a lot better and just make sense.
The only issue I have with it is that I wouldn't have the control to not push it into harder and harder trails but most have more self control than I. Do it!!

Greg

Admin
I've always liked this idea. I saw the build for the first one Steve posted in the other thread from years ago and love it. I think the ifs would be fun for go fast-ish stuff and jumps. I think leaving most of the body would look a lot better and just make sense.
The only issue I have with it is that I wouldn't have the control to not push it into harder and harder trails but most have more self control than I. Do it!!

I'm not sure that the front suspension is up for handling go-fast duty as is, the strut style suspension with a single a-arm is pretty questionable. Calmini does make a pretty cool aftermarket front suspension, but at $1500 it's pretty pricey. There is the possibility of building a custom dual a-arm front suspension, but that is a pretty large undertaking for a project like this which I would like to keep fairly simple.

I love this idea. I kind of want to copy you...

I haven't even started, so it's possible that you could take the lead and I would just copy you. :D

Offrodeo

it's a 4 door auto. It's the 2001 so it has the monster 2.5 v6! ;-)
it's our dd, so ya it drives.
Oh and it's the zr2! Lol

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Thanks for mentioning it, I'm going to shoot for a 2 door... I think the shorter wheelbase will keep it more manuverable.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm not sure that the front suspension is up for handling go-fast duty as is, the strut style suspension with a single a-arm is pretty questionable. Calmini does make a pretty cool aftermarket front suspension, but at $1500 it's pretty pricey. There is the possibility of building a custom dual a-arm front suspension, but that is a pretty large undertaking for a project like this which I would like to keep fairly simple.

I don't mean like "real" go fast stuff but more cruising on dirt roads to the trailhead etc it should be lots of fun

Greg

Admin
Interesting

Yeah, it could be... something. :)

I don't mean like "real" go fast stuff but more cruising on dirt roads to the trailhead etc it should be lots of fun

I understand, it would be interesting to see how it did... I'm not too familiar with how these ride in stock form, but I've heard they tend to ride like a truck.

I've been wondering how the front end would do with cutting & dropping the front frame/suspension (a common mod), fabbing up slightly longer dual control arms and running a pair of 8-10" coilovers (or air shocks?) on the front. Something that offers better control and travel over coil springs. That's pretty far outside the scope of this project, but you never know. :D

Greg

Admin

It's the right price, for sure! That's an older one with the less-powerful 8V engine... if I were to do this, I'd be willing to spend a little more on a newer one with the higher HP 16V engine.

All told, it's much easier to sit here and 'bench race' than to actually commit to this idea. :rofl: I don't know that I'm super serious, but talking about it is fun.

O'neal

?????????
I like the lay out of the bandit.Looking back I wish I would have built the wife's tracker with a toy cv swap and modded a trackick rearend for the front and left the original setup in instead of a complete toy drivetrain swap.

Hey... the Bandit is Mine!

We built it a couple years ago... It really is a pretty capable and impressive rig... (self proclaimed of course)

It is a little bit underpowered, but I didn't intend on having a rock bouncer or a point and pin it machine. I think that I am more of a driver, while visually picking my line and understanding what my rig can do.

I assure you, it is pretty impressive and I knew what to expect as the drive train was removed from my 4 door with 33's. Adding 39's and wheelbase made it pretty dang capable.

Please see my vids on youtube: zuksofhazzard - http://www.youtube.com/user/zuksofhazzard/videos

It's a great rig that does pretty good. As with anything... Everything is For Sale. ;)

Feel free to PM or Email if you are interested. (email may be best, as I'm out of town for work and don't get online as much)

zuksofhazzard@yahoo.com