trail cam tech

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Who knows anything about trail cams? They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for? I had a friend suggest that I video my house getting built. I don't really need any views that wouldn't have movement in it. I'm very close and able to tend the camera easily. Might be cool to have footage of the excavator digging my basement, concrete forms getting put up, framing, etc.

Is there anything that is web accessible? (I 'may' have wireless access that far away? I'll have to check)

What devices have people had good luck with?

If I mounted the camera on a fence about 20-60' from the house at an elevation of about 8-10' high, will that be a satisfactory angle?

Maybe this is bad form? Not sure if people would even notice the camera or if it'd make folks grumpy knowing they were being filmed.

Thoughts?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My builders put up cameras to try and discourage theft and vandalism. I don't think anyone would care. They put the camera on a tall pole with signs and blinking lights.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I had a cheap trail cam mounted on my back porch for years until it finally died. 60' is probably too far to pick up motion, unless it's something big, I'd get it closer to the 20' if possible. Probably varies by the camera you pick, like I said mine was a cheap one. I'd put one up and walk around and then check pictures to make sure it was picking up what you wanted. They go off of motion so a track-hoe digging will probably get lots of pictures, the guy walking around at 100' most likely will be missed.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
there are some cameras out there where you can set it up to take pictures every hour,2 hours every day at x time..... I think a shot from the same place everyday at noon until its built would be fun to see

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
there are some cameras out there where you can set it up to take pictures every hour,2 hours every day at x time..... I think a shot from the same place everyday at noon until its built would be fun to see
Like browning...

Cabela's has a pretty good selection if you're looking for somewhere local to pick one up.

mbryson

Supporting Member

mbryson

Supporting Member

So, the camera works. Not quite what I'm after. I'm not sure I want to invest in an actual security camera and outdoor rated CAT6 wire at 100 meters to get the camera where I'd want it to be?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I think I have some cat6 cable in my driveway... my son brought several boxes home from his work. but you will not notice the difference between cat6 and cat5 at that distance.