Trail Litter

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ummmmm.......tough subject.......

I was on a trail today in Moab. I picked up a whole windshield:eek: :eek: at the entry ...............I mean, I've picked up cans, bottles, etc., but NEVER pickup up something like this.

Any ideas on what to do about this kind of stuff? I had to move tools around to contain the litter so it didn't get on the upholstery.....

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
The entry to what?

Geez that sucks. Talk about a black eye. I feel like shooting people that do that. It makes you want to disallow certain morons from even having access to public land.

Buzz.....lazer is armed!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Trail trash comes down to just about every other 4x4 ethic... do your best and promote others to do the same...

I have never been a litterer, but I was never super big on spending my day picking up others trash...

Over the past few years I have personally made a greater effort to help keep trails clean (that includes picking up other peoples garbage)...

I would like to think that every rig out there carries a small garbage bag (like the ones they give out at the Earth Days!! hint...hint).

I know clubs like the U4WDA are very concerned with litter cleanup, the Summer Event included a trash bag fill-up to earn points to win the contest... great idea to promote litter awarness.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i was up at the west fork of the blacks fork river, way back in the uintahs. and i couldn't believe how much trash there was. not alot by any means. but there was enough to think, hey i oughta pick this up, so we did. a bunch of beer cans and wrappers and small stuff. but that's not at all what i wanna see in the utah "backcountry"!

not cool at all

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I usually find litter on almost any trail I go on these days. Most of the time I will pick up the litter, if it is something like bottles or cans or the like. Most people should have a garbage bag in their vehicles anyway since most people tend to bring food or drink on trails. I know I usually carry one, or designate a portion of my cargo area to garbage collectioin.

I think it all comes down to lazy people who really don't think about the consequences of their actions.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Nothing gets on my nerves more than littering. When on the trail or just on the freeway, it makes me so mad when I see some one throwing there cigarette butts an other trash out the window. get a f'in garbage bag will ya.

I think if I was a cop I would probley give more tickets for littering than speeding.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Was it the windshield sitting at the bottom of Double Wammy? I was gonna take it out, but the only place in my rig to put it would have ended up just spreading it out over the rest of the trail... Carl was in the same boat, glad someone better equipped took care of it. You ROCK!;)

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by RockMonkey
Was it the windshield sitting at the bottom of Double Wammy? I was gonna take it out, but the only place in my rig to put it would have ended up just spreading it out over the rest of the trail... Carl was in the same boat, glad someone better equipped took care of it. You ROCK!;)

I didn't get to Double Whammy.........Ramcharger axle issues got in the way. This was on Lower Proving grounds entry obstacle......:rolleyes: I can't believe how many cans and other junk I picked up around that area.

fastdrmr

We found this on a side trail on Porcupine in Sand Flats! What did we do? We took GPS coordinates down because we knew it was above and beyond anything we could clean up on our own - even at that we were 4 Xterras! The next day we saw a BLM ranger and gave them the info. They followed up with the mess and made sure it was cleaned out.

As we approached this side trail on accident we noticed several cans on the sides and on the trail. We picked them up and put them in that little basket Xterras have up front. :D Once we found the big pile we felt it would be impossible. It was very disturbing to think that our "brothers in the sport" would do such a thing and dump their trash in this manner. It happens, and we should educate those that may do it so that we don't get our trails closed!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Yuck!! I almost wonder if some of the locals did that? Seems like a lot of trash for us "visitors". Funny how 5mp becomes the local (and illegal) dumping ground for old matresses, yard trash, old cars, etc. Maybe this was the same thing.

Buzz

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by fastdrmr
We found this on a side trail on Porcupine in Sand Flats! What did we do? We took GPS coordinates down because we knew it was above and beyond anything we could clean up on our own - even at that we were 4 Xterras! The next day we saw a BLM ranger and gave them the info. They followed up with the mess and made sure it was cleaned out.

As we approached this side trail on accident we noticed several cans on the sides and on the trail. We picked them up and put them in that little basket Xterras have up front. :D Once we found the big pile we felt it would be impossible. It was very disturbing to think that our "brothers in the sport" would do such a thing and dump their trash in this manner. It happens, and we should educate those that may do it so that we don't get our trails closed!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I think they should get 'educated' with that piece of cedar in the foreground of the second picture............fawkers

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I can't understand what goes through a persons head that would make them think it was ok to do that. I tell ya, sniper rifles, that's what we need. snipers on the hilltops. it would fix a lot of problems.:mad:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Holy CRAP! That's a huge pile of trash...:( I cant' beleive that wheelers did that. I bet it was a bunch of kids (local, prolly) that went up there to party. Wow... What was in the cooler?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
about four weeks ago we were in Idaho camping and fishing. The river we love to fish in was just trashed.

So last weekend we went back up there and spent two hours with the kids cleaning said river. We hauled two big black garbage bags out of there with pretty much anything you could name.

Dumbass people.:mad:

I don't mind taking out more then my own stuff, but I have kids to clean up after. Why can't people just take more pride in themselves and the surroundings they are there to enjoy.:confused:

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I was following this car full of teens on my way home from work when all of a sudden, a mickey d's bag goes flying out the window! I pulled up next to them and yelled " Hey, what are you a-holes doing throwing your sh!t out the window!?" They just gave me this blank stare like they had no idea what I was talking about! This is the same mentality we are dealing with out on the trails. The container was full, but now that it's empty, it is trash & we can't have that in our rigs now can we? Idiots! We need to start draining the gene pool!:mad:

my4thjeep

I am all for chain gang type punishment for those who are caught. desicrating the outdoors with their trash. Let them serve some quality time by picking up trash in orange jumpsuits chained together. They do it in South Carolina.