Trail Mater

Jesser04

I made it to 13:00. He might be a nice guy but he should delete this video. Guy talks shit about heavy d and his band of goons tearing shit up and posting it online for views. Then proceeds to tear shit up and post it online for views. For the record heavy d is a douche.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I made it to 13:00. He might be a nice guy but he should delete this video. Guy talks shit about heavy d and his band of goons tearing shit up and posting it online for views. Then proceeds to tear shit up and post it online for views. For the record heavy d is a douche.
If you had watched to the end, they explained they they agreed with BLM and SITLA on a plan to drag it out down a wash, so all evidence would go away in the next rain. Seemed pretty light touch to me.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've come to believe that sometimes things just aren't ideal all the time, there isn't always a winner and there isn't always a looser. Sometimes getting a truck out of the bottom of a canyon isn't pretty. If you don't want a truck sitting at the bottom of a canyon you have to be ok with getting it out. Heavy D wasn't going to fly in with his blackhawk and scoop it out and magically make it disappear, he probably would have stayed up on the top and drug it back out the way it fell in blocking the road the whole time. Both Youtubers are just that, they make $ from folks watching the video. Rory was already not making a $ from recovery, he needs to make something for his time/effort.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't know if there's a professional recovery outfit out there that doesn't play a little fast and loose with Tread Lightly sometimes. Anywhere you let trucks go, you're eventually gonna have to drag one out and safety and time constraints mean that isn't always gonna be pretty. Even a volunteer outfit with all the time in the world can't do it 100% clean 100% of the time. Rory seems to me to be at least as conscientious as most, if not more? I could ask for him to spend a little more time on camera explaining WHY he's choosing to drive off trail sometimes and why that isn't something he's doing just because, but that's picking nits.

The only way to be completely sure people don't drive off trail, is to not let them drive the trail at all.

crosbike

I've been thinking about this video ever since I watched it last night. I know the recovery was in a difficult and remote spot and I don't see anything blaringly wrong with the recovery given the circumstances. I just disagree with putting it on youtube and it inevitably being used against our sport. I know they did everything within the parameters and guidelines allowed by the landowners/government and I don't want it to seem like he did anything shady but having it so public just isn't good IMO. Also my one arm chair quarterback thought is why not bring some wheels and tires out to a rig that you know has blown out tires to ease the recovery?
It was entertaining to watch.

STAG

On my grind
I’ll stay unbiased on my opinion of him because I don’t know anything about him. I do give him points for recognizing that Heavy D does make an absolute mess of recoveries and his wheeling ethics are an embarrassment too, so I agree with towmater on that.

I give him props for doing this recovery for free too, just for the sake of not having Heavy D do it. I believe that was the right call. I don’t see Heavy D doing the Heli rescue, especially if he was a “low bid”. I do see him getting his behemoth wrecker up there though and annihilating the area on the way in and out.

It does seem like Towmater took some conscious efforts towards preservation. And given that it was free I think he did about as good as he could have.

Corban_White

One of the thing's about Rory that most youtubers don't do, is he loves to use the video description to give relevant info. Here is the description for the posted video:
So this was a challenging recovery. First in order to even go after it we had to get permission from the Sheriff's Department, BLM(Bureau Of Land Management), STLA(State Trust Lands Alliance - I think), and the owner of the vehicle and the insurance company. We had to submit our plan of getting the vehicle out to the land owners and get permission to be off trail to access the vehicle and what actions we would take to ensure no others would follow our tracks. This recovery thing is not just simply buy the biggest equipment and go risk lives to get views. We do this for our jobs and take doing this very seriously along with not damaging the land and possibly jeopardize our access to the wonderful area we get to recreate in. This is the way we decided to handle the situation, I feel we did it as best as we could with the parameters we were allowed to work in. I hope you guys enjoy the video. We appreciate everyone watching and supporting us. Thank you.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I've been thinking about this video ever since I watched it last night. I know the recovery was in a difficult and remote spot and I don't see anything blaringly wrong with the recovery given the circumstances. I just disagree with putting it on youtube and it inevitably being used against our sport. I know they did everything within the parameters and guidelines allowed by the landowners/government and I don't want it to seem like he did anything shady but having it so public just isn't good IMO. Also my one arm chair quarterback thought is why not bring some wheels and tires out to a rig that you know has blown out tires to ease the recovery?
It was entertaining to watch.
You think he has a whole bunch of tires of different companies laying around to use? I don't think so but I do agree maybe he could have tried to maybe air up the ones that were there... his buggy does have on board air. At least he did remove the spare and put it on so he had 2 good tires.

Jesser04

You think he has a whole bunch of tires of different companies laying around to use? I don't think so but I do agree maybe he could have tried to maybe air up the ones that were there... his buggy does have on board air. At least he did remove the spare and put it on so he had 2 good tires.
It’s a 6x5.5 pretty common bolt pattern sure he could have rounded up a couple. @STAG this will easily become his most watched video choosing to do it for “free” was a very smart on his part.

Last edited:

85CUCVKRAWLER

Cough.. Heavy D… cough.

He didn’t say it, so I helped.

That was my first guess too. Is there a video of them attempting and failing? I really hate his channel, his videos are click bait to the extreme and there are always some super sketchy safety concerns with his employees in. His shop is right next to my office and i kindof cringe every time i drive by.

STAG

On my grind
That was my first guess too. Is there a video of them attempting and failing? I really hate his channel, his videos are click bait to the extreme and there are always some super sketchy safety concerns with his employees in. His shop is right next to my office and i kindof cringe every time i drive by.
When they first hit the scene I talked to Dave about working there as a shop employee. Best bullet I ever dodged.

crosbike

Ya i would think they may have or could source a few wheels and tires pretty easily honestly.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have had the pleasure of meeting and associating with Rory both at Winter 4x4. Competed against him at Nationals and more recently at Trail Hero with Katelynn working for Matt and Jamie driving Rorys jeep. Very nice guy willing to help and do what needs to be done. He is just riding the YouTube thing as long as it goes. He is passionate about what he does and how he does it.