trail modification: where is the line???

what trail modifications are appropriate(multi answers availible)

• Rock stacking

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Carving bypasses through growth or rock patches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • moving boulders around to alter difficulty

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Cutting limb off that may scratch paint

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • cutting trees down that get in the way of a potential trail

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • excessive wheelspin to alter topography

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Everyone hates people that stack mountains of rocks to get their saturn SUV over a basketball sized ledge. We all hate rock stackers that get out of control.

we also hate those that make needless bypasses, or bypasses of any sort at all.

but where does the common consensus lie having to do with other trail modifications like cutting trees or rolling boulders into or out of place....??

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm cool with rock stacking as long as the rocks go back where they were found. Leave the trail alone and let nature do it's thing.......If you get scratches, don't do that trail next time.

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I think temporary alterations are acceptable. Rock stacking and moving must be only temporary and all rocks, etc must be replaced to the previous positions. :D Sometimes this is necessary because of the natural evolution of a trail, but one should never permanently change a trail (on purpose). If you actually have to carve your own bypass, maybe you're not on the right trail. :eek:

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by spencurai
Everyone hates people that stack mountains of rocks to get their saturn SUV over a basketball sized ledge. We all hate rock stackers that get out of control.
we also hate those that make needless bypasses, or bypasses of any sort at all.

I am going to play the devils advocate hear, but why not bring up the other side of this.

Everyone also hates people that go looking for harder stuff that is not on the trail. (EXE. The ledges that go off to the right, when going up Rattlesnake, right after the squeze.)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by pokeyYJ

I am going to play the devils advocate hear, but why not bring up the other side of this.

Everyone also hates people that go looking for harder stuff that is not on the trail. (EXE. The ledges that go off to the right, when going up Rattlesnake, right after the squeze.)

gonna have to agree that I am as guilty as the next guy on this one. It is discourageable but part of what we want to do is expand our trail system. I don't think we really have enough knowledge to know how to go about creating new trails? how do we do this?

P

pokeyYJ

Good question. I would like to know what excatly is involved in opening a new trail.

redrock

i don't know when most of you started going out to little moab but i started going out there about four years ago or five since the first time i have been out there, people have not only cut down branchs but they cut the whole damn tree down. just because its in the way, now that is drawing the line. there were several trees around some of the rock out there that are no longer there. you guys are all right if we want to keep enjoy the widerness we all need to keep the wilderness looking nice

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Good question. I would like to know what excatly is involved in opening a new trail.

I don't know if there is a hard and fast rule. I believe you should ALWAYS ask the landowner before creating any modifications to an existing environment. The U4WDA has good contacts with ALL of the land agencies. Join and utilize them. As a group, we need to act as responsibly as possible. We all know that it's only a few bad apples that ruin the trail (including the agencies), but the more support we show and willingness to work with and for the land agencies involved, the more slack we'll be able to get cut if we need to do something.

demon jeep

Banned
I say small amount or rock stacking look at the guys that compete they need to stack every once in a while but it is just enough to get a LITTLE more traction