Trail Report - Rattlesnake 1/4/03

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There has been alot of talk as well a bunch of sweet pictures but I never really saw a trail summary so I thought I would write something up... feel free to add to it.

The day started by meeting at the crossroads...the group quickly grew to about 20 rigs by the time everyone showed up... A great RME turnout. We all chatted for a few minutes and head for the Rattlesnake trailhead...

We all pulled into the staging area and started to get ready for the trail, aired down, locked hubs, etc... I think I follwed the worst possible person...Shawn... I tell you what, if he can find a boulder to climb, push or drag, he will. It did make the day very exciting becaiuse Shawn doesn't back down easy, he gives everything try....back to the trail......

We came up on the first few ledges of the trail and it was evident that Tracy's truck (1/4 eliptical) was having a front axle problem...(turned out to be a superbirf)... So he turned aroung and headed for the trailhead. The rest of us headed on up to the waterfall where Shawn tried valiantly to make it up the farthest possible line on the right...too many loose boulders and wet rocks, so he chose a line a little further to the left as did I.

The rest of the trail went smoothly on up to the top, some chose to take the top route out while a group of us chose to go back down the trail. All was well until we happened upon Mark (mbryson), he was stuck pretty good on the Waterfall as the result of a broken balljoint. All of the possibilities were considered and it was decided that we would try and fix it there. Shawn volunteered his winch and truck to lift Marks XJ and move it back to a better position. We then spent the next two hours jacking and hammering on the front end until it was all McGuyvered back together and ready for the trip home. Mark actually was able to drive the Cherokee all the way back to West Jordan with no problems...cool! :D

Because the group was so large and spreadout. there are probably alot of things I missed out on...but All-in-all, a sweet trip, one of my favorites...Thanks everyone:D

JoeT

Hey my family had a blast! I could not believe that my dad brought out the Raider for this! My brother was able to use and abuse his long armed ZJ on a decent trail. I bent a tierod, and was helped out by lots of people that I did not know.
fcd491e5.jpg

We all had a blast (despite the body damage) and would like to run the trail again.:)

JoeT

fcd4639e.jpg

My brother's ZJ rockerpanel passenger side. He did it right after this pic was taken. The front passenger door is misaligned now. He was not too happy about it. I pegged my sliders a good here also.

JoeT

Yup, both him and my my dad that was enough for them. My brother knew he needed some protection for the ZJ. Needless to say he is working on the design right now.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
\

Who got body damage?

i did. :D i smashed my fender, gouged my door and rocker, and my grill and headlight assembly is being held on with a ratchet strap. what a great trip. we have been to that area a dozen times and never new that trail was even there.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
we took the EZ road out to save time(ie... jeepinjoe was limping) i decided i would see how well my jeep could "BAJA" across the dessert.... it didnt do so well. i got home and my grill assembly was only being held on by 3 bolts all the rest had broken off.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ok, so thats body damage but I was hoping for a more intense story as to the broken parts...like you stood it up on its nose and the only thing holding it was the headlight assembly:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by EKSJAE
OK!

i stood it up on its nose.... the only thing holding it up was the head light assembly..:D

No kiddin', were you scared or what...that must have bben amazing...tell me more:D :D :D