Trailer dealer advice... Looking to buy!

Trate D

Well went to wasatch and worked with jake. Towed home great, unloaded! He even gave me the hauler that had the removable side rails for the same price. Overall I would defiantely recommend them no hassle and straight forward. They said if I had ANY issues let them know and they will take care if it.... I ended up with the PJ 16ft 7000k and couldnt be happier its exactly what i was looking for. Thanks everyone for the advice, I feel I can trust them and I got a fair price.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have paid taxes on both used trailers I purchased. When I registered them... :confused:

If your honest you pay taxes on used trailers. I am guilty of having a bill of sale made up for WAY less than purchase price also though.

With that being said I couldnt find a 7000 pound trailer I liked the construction of they all seemed way flimsy so I built my own with 4 inch channel for the frame (wich is way overkill for a 7000lb trailer) LED lights and the whole shebang and was into my entire trailer about a grand.

I even used 1/4" plate for the fenders so I could drive on them.

2011-05-15_13-40-58_621.jpg

Trate D

Let's see some pics!
Well here she is! Looks great and pulls awesome, that is the 2 hrs I drove with it. Like I said it's just what I wanted the fenders are removable, and aluminum. Which is great for replacements and rock chips/rust spots. I think I will be very happy with it! Like I said earlier the rails were an extra when I got there. So should be nice to use when something besides the jeep is on it...
236e0fc0.jpg

55dfeb6f.jpg

a184ddf4.jpg

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
If your honest you pay taxes on used trailers. I am guilty of having a bill of sale made up for WAY less than purchase price also though.

Yeah... I guess a dishonest individual will always find ways of paying much less than market value for a product, see also: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?88623-PLEASE-HELP!-STOLEN-CAR-TRAILER!

Seriously not trying to be an ass here, it just seems to be a double standard how we justify some dishonesty, and yet want to string up thieves that steal from us :-\

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Yeah... I guess a dishonest individual will always find ways of paying much less than market value for a product, see also: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?88623-PLEASE-HELP!-STOLEN-CAR-TRAILER!

Seriously not trying to be an ass here, it just seems to be a double standard how we justify some dishonesty, and yet want to string up thieves that steal from us :-\

I understand what your saying but when Im keeping money from the government I dont feel so bad about it. Not one bit.

1995zj

I'm addicted

Not to derail from the original topic....but what bothers me most about taxes is the fact that you have to pay the same tax percentage for new or used vehicles. Why not with other used items sold like guns and gaming systems? I understand that vehicles drive on the roads and the taxes are *supposed* to go towards new roads/maintaining them, but why in the hell do FULL taxes need to be paid on a vehicle when it's new, and then FULL taxes again every time it is sold used after that (even if it were sold twice a year for 3 years). Seems like double/triple taxation to me. Maybe if the nation weren't in debt trillions and trillions of dollars it wouldn't bother me so much...

Last edited:

CJ Matt

Wasatch was a good choice. I bought my trailer from them about 5 years ago and have been happy with it. I did not like Bubba's because they would not deal with us on a group buy and because the price was different depending on who I talked to. The PJ trailer from Wasatch was built better and cheaper too.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm half temped just to build my next trailer... It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to pay another $2k for a trailer just because someone else decided they liked my stuff enough to take it.

with all these new trailer purchases I'll start a thread on how to hold onto your trailer you just bought ;)

Jinxspot: I dig how wide yours is!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Bumping this thread because I am starting to hunt for my trailer. I'm looking for a new 16ft one, preferably a 7000lb model rather than a 6000lb one since I like having extra capacity. It didn't take long to realize that some of the companies mentioned in this thread have downright sh!tty web sites.

Anyway, so far I have stopped in at Lone Peak for info on their Big Tex offerings. I sent off a web request for info to Big Bubba a week ago, but they have yet to respond or contact me in any way (I guess they don't need my business). I just sent off a web request to Wasatch Trailers; I wonder if they'll get back to me. Stay tuned.

Trate D

Although I am still happy with my trailer purchase from wasatch. I did find out after I recieved all my paper work that my trailer was 2 years old.... At time if purchase I was told it was "brand new" yes it was to me but was built two years before that. I was also told my trailer was a car hauler that was ordered by someone that wanted side rails, but that person never bought it. My title says its actually just a utility trailer. So I looked into it and the trailer has the exact same frame as the car hauler and all the same ratings. Long story short I should have just got the hauler with a headache rack cause I have never used the railings since I have had it.

I will also add that i still like the removable fenders, easy to replace if anything happens and aluminum so no rust or chipped paint! I think the PJ trailer I got does the job I need it to just fine, it does have some flex in it but it also itsa light trailer which is why I went with it.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Got mine back in the day at bubba's, he was willing to swing a sweet cash price. But agree he is not a web guy, an in person guy, which I liked

Pile of parts

I got mine years ago from JBM Trailers in Mt. Pleasant. Seems like his price was good and it has been a quality trailer. I think the brand I bought is Zieman. At the time I bought mine there were "trailer dealers" on every corner and they sure sold junk. My 160 lb weight standing on one corner would twist the other corner. The trailers I've seen from Bubba's and Wasatch seem to be quality but JBM might just give you one more source in your search. Besides, if you go down to pick one up it would give us an excuse to run Hanging Tree again.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Wasatch or Poulson I have wheeled with both. And both are friends.
I looked at the product then the price.
I did the "find the cheapest" route with my first trailer it is gone and now I have a pj from Wasatch.
I looked at weight as well as frame construction. Tire quality is also something to look at (load range).
My 2 cents
I wish I could afford a Featherlight brand since my wife is a dealer.

GREEN HORN

I picked mine up from Lone Peak just under a year ago. I believe it was just under$2500 OTD for the 7' wide 70CH. It had a 7000lb rating and dexter ez lube axles so i dont have to pull them apart to pack in grease! Elactric brakes only on one axle but its been perfect for hauling my YJ. They aso have a headache rack and removable fenders. To sum it all up, I don't think I could ask any more for the money I spent!

Moabxjeeper

Hey all!

I stumbled across this thread as I've been looking around at trailers for a while. Any reason I shouldn't just run up to Big Bubba this weekend and pick up one of their trailers? The one I looked at is rated for 7k with brakes on one axle. They quoted me about $2400 out the door. I've never had a trailer so I don't really have much to compare it to, but I've heard nothing but good about their product.