Trailer death wobble

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
Ok this is a small utility trailer maybe 4'x5'. more of a "haul stuff to the dump trailer" Once I had it loaded with rocks and was taking it to dump it and I felt my truck start to shake, I looked in the rear view mirror and the trailer was in what seemed like a very nasty death wobble...back and forth and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop until I stopped. what could cause it? I don't think I had more than a few hundred pounds in it. Oh and for what it's worth I was towing it with a toy pick-up.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have the same problem with my trail trailer... as mentioned above it was all about the tonque weight... I had to reconfigure all my gear to get at least 75 lbs on the tongue.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
10% of the total trailer weight needs to be on the tounge. Good rule of thumb is if you can lift it, it aint loaded right.

1993yj

Also, the type of tires you have on could cause fishtailing. You dont want to run standard car type radials on a trailer. I have seen some bad things happen there.

TimB

Homesick
My trail trailer is prone to that too. The width of the trailer is almost the same as the length. I added about 2' to the length of the toungue and that helped a lot. It still does it a little though at higher speeds.

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
yeah 've been rebuilding it now and I have added probably another 2-3 feet onto the tongue I think the bearings might be going bad too. The guy who gave me the trailer didn't take good care of it. I might have to get some new bearings. I was looking at getting some new or different tires for it and some new rims. I am not sure what the bolt pattern is, its 5 on something, I don't know if it is 4.5 or 5.5 any one know an easy way to tell.

lars3159

I have a 7x14 electrical service trailer that has a tendency to do this when I don't keep an eye on the tire pressures. It doesn't happed (other than in a very strong wind) if I have equal pressure in all tires.

Mr.Chevy

One more thing that gets over looked is having the tires balanced and then even rotating them regularly. My bro-inlaw's boat trailer did the same thing. He took it in and had the tires balanced and rotated and it was as smooth as it could be.