Trailer question

Machine

Ok, so I'm getting ready for the big move to Utah...

I bought a 16 ft flat bed with duel axles from a dude in my Jeep club. He's been the only owner of the trailer, but had loaned it out to friends. It's been everywhere in Texas...out to Cali and even to Moab. It's your basic flatbed with duel axles (no brakes on either axle) The lights were having issues and there was no license plate when I bought it. Went to the tax office for a new plate and registration. Bought some new wire and rewired the lights. Everything looks good on it and works like it should...except for one thing...and maybe it's normal, but I'm not sure...thats where you guys come in. Last night I hitched it up to my TJ and loaded my sisters TJ onto it, then pulled it around the neighborhood to test it out. Everything seems fine with it except for the axles...and maybe this is normal...

I should have taken a pic of it, but it was too dark out. If you can't picture my description, maybe I can load it up again and shoot a pic. Basically...it appears that the front right tire tilts inward slightly under load while the back right tire is straight up and down. And on the other side...the front left tire appears to be straight up and down while the back left tire tilts inward slightly. Is this normal or a serious problem?

oh and the axles do have a leaf spring suspension that seems to be connected somehow rather than 2 indepently suspended axles.

thanks for you ideas/feedback!

~Trent

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Alot of tandem axles are connected like you say, a "t-shackle" in the middle position. It seems to me like the bearings on the wheel that leans may be shot, one easy way to get an idea, is to jack up that tire and see if you can shake the top of the tire back and fortha dn check for excessive play. Trail bearings are rather cheap and easy to swap out. Chain parts stores even sell kits that come with both bearings and the seal.

If it is only doing it under a load then I would assum that this is tha case, if it always does it, I would guess a bent axle.

Good luck :D

tv_larsen

Originally posted by Machine
Last night I hitched it up to my TJ and loaded my sisters TJ onto it, then pulled it around the neighborhood to test it out.

What will you be towing this with? A 16 footer with another rig is awefully big to be towing with no brakes. Depending on the atcually weight, a 3/4 or 1 ton could do that, but it probably still wouldn't be legal. I hope towing it with the TJ and no brakes was just a test. It probably took a 1/2 block to stop it from 20 mph. :D

Oh yeah, check the wheel bearings, or the axle might also be bent. Someone might have over loaded the trailer, it's pretty common. Thats why I never loan mine to anyone.

Machine

i'll check the bearings...

and it'll be towed behing a 24ft budget truck rental

and yes pulling it with a jeep loaded on it behind another jeep was just a test....it did take longer to get it stopped ;)

i plan on looking for a 3/4 ton truck...maybe a dodge ram to pull my jeep around with it.

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
You sure you didn't check it while the tires were binding while turning? Also, many trailer's axles are supposed to bend. My trailer's axles while rise up a few inches in the middle and actually bend with a load on it.

Machine

Originally posted by rustybronco
You sure you didn't check it while the tires were binding while turning? Also, many trailer's axles are supposed to bend. My trailer's axles while rise up a few inches in the middle and actually bend with a load on it.

i'm not sure i understand what you're asking in that 1st sentence. if you're refering to checking the bearings...it was not moving, and jacked up...spun the tires (they spin quiet), jerked them in a rocking motion...zero play. the bearings seem fine.

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
You know when you turn a tandem trailer, the tires will bind against each other causing them to look really crooked. If you jack up one side of the trailer and they still look that way, then you've probably got bent axles.

Machine

well maybe it's just me then.

the tires do bind when turning but do not look crooked when jacked up. i doubt the axles are bent.

demon jeep

Banned
The axles that are on it are likly 3500# axles. If the front is axle tires are leaning in at the top the camber is off. someone loaded it heavy in the front tomany times.

If you can get it down to lone peak trailers and ask them if they will camber the frony axle for you. If they give you a hard time and want you to buy a new axle tell them you are moving and need it to make it were ever. They are at the Utah county side of point of the mountain.

And for the suspention that is how most tandoms work. it will alow the axles to keep a even weight on both axles.

Caleb

Originally posted by demon jeep
The axles that are on it are likly 3500# axles. If the front is axle tires are leaning in at the top the camber is off. someone loaded it heavy in the front tomany times.

If you can get it down to lone peak trailers and ask them if they will camber the frony axle for you. If they give you a hard time and want you to buy a new axle tell them you are moving and need it to make it were ever. They are at the Utah county side of point of the mountain.

And for the suspention that is how most tandoms work. it will alow the axles to keep a even weight on both axles.

uhmmmm...he's in texas and he's moving to utah so lone peak wont do much good right now:D

Machine

well i must have been smoking some crack the night i 1st tested out the trailer...

i just loaded the jeep on it again and pulled it down the highway a bit as a 2nd test...this time behind the moving truck...everything seems to be A-OK. the tires aren't tilting at all....at least not like i thought they were that 1st time...

25793762.jpg

25793771.jpg

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
watch them while you turn, that is prolly where you saw it. They will twist on the hub quite a lot. Even big semi trailers do it.

Machine

yup, i think that's the case...i remember turning somewhat when i got to the air pump at the gas station to check the tires...i bet i looked at it then and they looked twisted....everything looks good now tho...