Trailer tire security.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Strange topic, I know, but my question is this, does anybody do anything to prevent the stealing of their tires/wheels on their trailer? I ask because at August OSRC, I left my trailer at the course for the weekend and when I got home I found that someone had switched my almost brand new tires for some almost completely bald tires. After spending $400 on new tires, I'm wondering how to protect them. Should I just get some locking lug nuts or what?

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks.

K

King Midas

Locking lug nuts would help but they could be taken off with vice grips or a good hard hit of a hammer breaking the stud. I think if you could weld up some sort of a thick metal brace going around the tire or threw the center of the rim and a thick dead bolt lock?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
All good ideas, but I think he is referring to the trailer tires that are on the ground... not the spare.

Unfortunately, I agree that locking lug nuts are worthless - they aren't good for anything but making tire shops, mechanics and trail repair technicians grumble about misplaced/forgotten keys.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I GOT RIPPED OFF!!!!!

I’m in the similar situation, although it was my ramps that just got stolen last weekend while I was getting some trail munchies at the store!!!! I’m an idiot, I did not padlock the folding stow-a-way doors under the rear of the trailer (but as naive as I am didn't think I needed to).... WRONG

I already have a chain looping through my buggy spare tire and trailer spare tire on the front portion of my hauler.

I think my cheap solution that I will just chain each side of the tires together and to the frame of the trailer/suspension mounts for a my EJS trip (that only works when you’re not in transit :( ). Custom cut chain and padlocks are a pretty full proof method and can be cost effective.

Oh and of course I’m gonna padlock the ramps on the trailer as well this time.

This sport is expensive enough without thieves praying on us!!! These trying times prove we need to take further precautions BEFORE something happens.

(Please, WATCHOUT FOR YOUR FELLOW WHEELER AND QUESTION ABOUT SUSPITIOUS BEHAVIOR, IF THEY ARE THE OWNERS THEY WILL BE GLAD YOU ASKED)

LT.

I have wondered about the ramps before but, I never would have thought about the wheels and tires. For the ramps my new trailer has a really cool situation. The ramps pull straight out from the rear and there is a piece of metal welded on the ends of the ramps preventing them from coming out all the way. You just open the ramp doors, pull the ramps all the way out, and they never leave the trailer. For those of you who have ramps that come out the sides and then you have to place them at the back of the trailer I would suspect with the building talents on this board changing the ramps position would not be a big hassle.

For the wheels and tires I guess locking lug nuts is about as good as it is gonna get.

LT.