Trails for Newbies

Freebird

I am very new to off roading and wanted to take my family up. I live in the Salt Lake area and looking for some recomendations for some melow trails. Wanting something more than a dirt road, but nothing too wild.
What would you guys suggest.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I am very new to off roading and wanted to take my family up. I live in the Salt Lake area and looking for some recomendations for some melow trails. Wanting something more than a dirt road, but nothing too wild.
What would you guys suggest.

Head up American Fork Canyon, which is about 40 miles south of SLC. Forest Lake is a good trail up there to get your feet wet.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Welcome to RME, you should be able to find lots of good information and great peope on here that share your new interest. What vehicle are you using? Stock or modified?

Since you're new to offroading, be sure you stay on legal, opened trails. Don't do any off-trail driving, it damages the environment and gives more ammo to close our few remaining trails. Not that I think you'll do the wrong thing, but being informed is a huge step forward.

If you're interested in meeting a bunch of the folks from RME, we'll be cleaning up the 5 Mile Pass area this upcoming weekend for National Public Lands Day. Come on out, explore one of the good 4x4 areas and make friends with a bunch of us! After the cleanup we'll run 2 of the favorite trails out there, Rattlesnake and Constrictor. Depending on what you're driving, Rattlesnake is a good, fun challenge. Constrictor is much more difficult. Besides that, there's roads all over that area that are fun to explore.

Here's the thread about NPLD @ 5MP- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=57571

themaniam1

Just Empty Every Pocket
Welcome to the forum. You can try the back side of Farmington Canyon. The first part is just a dirt road that goes from Farmington canyon up and over and down into Bountiful by the 'B'. There are many off roads you can take once on top that go off on the backside toward Morgan. Has great views, you can see Evanston, Wyo from up there.

Also look at the trail section of this forum. http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

zacktheproducer

Welcome to the forum. You can try the back side of Farmington Canyon. The first part is just a dirt road that goes from Farmington canyon up and over and down into Bountiful by the 'B'. There are many off roads you can take once on top that go off on the backside toward Morgan. Has great views, you can see Evanston, Wyo from up there.

Also look at the trail section of this forum. http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Agreed. I love the Farmington Canyon ride.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Israel canyon up to the radio towers. Great overlook of Utah lake and over into Eagle Mountain.

Turnoff is about 5 miles south of the crossroads in Saratoga Springs (Stillwater development entrance). I've done it in a Suzuki XL-7.

D94R

Israel canyon up to the radio towers. Great overlook of Utah lake and over into Eagle Mountain.

Turnoff is about 5 miles south of the crossroads in Saratoga Springs (Stillwater development entrance). I've done it in a Suzuki XL-7.

That really called Israel Canyon? I never knew that.

I'll agree with the great over look statement. I enjoy taking that trip just to get out and have fun and see the "sights", plus I live in EM so its "right there" for me.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
That really called Israel Canyon? I never knew that.

I'll agree with the great over look statement. I enjoy taking that trip just to get out and have fun and see the "sights", plus I live in EM so its "right there" for me.

That's what the Brown signs say. :hickey: They put signage up about 3 years ago when the development started going in.

Last edited:

D94R

Is it the canyon going up to the towers? Or just the east side of Lake Mountain? I enter from the south west side (EM side) of the mountain to go up top. I haven't seen any signs from that direction.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Is it the canyon going up to the towers? Or just the east side of Lake Mountain? I enter from the south west side (EM side) of the mountain to go up top. I haven't seen any signs from that direction.

Yea this one is looking down on the south side of the Lake Mountain subdivision. You can also see the Saratoga city marina on the left side.
(click for a bigger image)

Ford Prefect

I would not do the forest lake, myself. MOST of it is very fun, and good for a stock rig, but the beginning, and some places along the way there are some big rocks to get around, and I would not want to send a guy brand new on that trail unless I was going with him, and thought his rig could do it.

Go for some dirt roads, that are steep, and stable (not too much loose dirt and rocks) and then work your way into smaller rocks.

Good luck finding something. I have personally found Utah to be phenomenally limited in the way of trails outside of Moab. I'd say move to Colorado! haha, millions of miles of great trails out there...wink

allterrain

AllTerrain
AF Canyon is fun and really beautiful right now. Also, you could head out west of Lehi and go out to the 5 Mile Pass Area. Lots of old roads to explore and plenty of easy stuff.

Freebird

I appreciate all the feedback. What a great forum.
I think we will head up to american fork canyon this weekend and give that a shot.
I also heard that the road up to silver lake isnt bad. Anyone have experience there.
I am driving a stock LR3. Nothing special so obviously BIG and medium rocks are out of the question.

allterrain

AllTerrain
Silver Lake is easy and nice around the lake. Fall colors above Tibble Fork will be awesome. Yeah, stay off of Forest Lake in an LR3 if you value the body :) The main road up above Tibble is easy and very scenic. In fact, you can drive right on over to Midway.

ALF

SURE!?
I appreciate all the feedback. What a great forum.
I think we will head up to american fork canyon this weekend and give that a shot.
I also heard that the road up to silver lake isnt bad. Anyone have experience there.
I am driving a stock LR3. Nothing special so obviously BIG and medium rocks are out of the question.

Why not hook up with one of the groups going out this weekend. utah4x4 club is doing their project up AF canyon and we'll all be out at 5 mile. Great way for you to meet some guys to wheel with and help support the sport while doing it.

erocrocks

try hobble creek canyon, left or right hand fork, the left hand fork trail goes all the way out to daniels summit/pass, its mainly dirt road single track, but there are some side trails, all shoudl go try it

springville, then past the gold course up the canyon