Trans & steering issues

broncodan

For Your Viewing Pleasure
I just bought back an early bronco (1974) that I built in high school. I am now addressing the issues that I never got around to in high school, which are the transmission and the steering setup. It currently has a 3 speed manual that has the shifter moved to the floor. I think I want an automatic, but I do not know what my most cost efficient and best option would be here. I am having the same trouble with the steering system. It does not have power steering, and the steering is really loose. What is a good setup, and the best bang for my buck? ANYONE, PLEASE HELP!

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Most cost effective auto will be a c-4 mated to a Dana 20.

Steering on these ol beasts- Lots of options. Some use an old F-150 box, but most of the are pretty well worn out.

The strongest junkyard swap for a Bronco is (believe it or not) a '86 -up Toyota IFS box. Has a larger sector shaft than the Fords use and is usually cheaper.

High steer and flat top knuckles if you have much lift. Make sure your panhard (tracbar) is in good shape.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Pumkinbronc on here runs the IFS Toyota box, so you might ask him how he likes it. :)

broncodan

Do you know what vehicles I could find that tranny/t-case setup in? Sorry for all the questions but I am new at this. I am unfamiliar with the steering componants that you mentioned earlier - thanks for all the help.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
broncodan said:
Do you know what vehicles I could find that tranny/t-case setup in? Sorry for all the questions but I am new at this. I am unfamiliar with the steering componants that you mentioned earlier - thanks for all the help.

Only Early Broncos had the C-4 and Dana 20 transfer case as far as I know. Jeep used a Dana 20 also,but it is different. Jeeps had the front driveline on the passenger side -Your Bronco front driveshaft is on the driver side.

It shouldn't be too hard to find one. Put an ad in the wanted section. I took the C-4 and D20 out of mine and swapped in an NV-4500 mated to a 241HD. A 4 speed truck trans like the t-18 is also popular, but you said you wanted an auto.

How much lift and how big of tires you run will determine the best way to do your steering. (And how hard you plan on wheelin it.)

Here's a good source of info

http://www.bronco.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mods.Transmissions-General

Steering-

http://www.bronco.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mods.PowerSteering

http://www.bronco.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Mods.TieRodConversion

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Most all of the Bronco supply places can sell you a complete powersteering setup, but they are $$$$.
Yep, EB's are the only vehicle that ever used a 4wd C4. Watch for a C4-d20 combo on the boards and in the paper. Or if you have the $$ you can get a core/rebuilt 2wd C4 and an adapter from Advanced Adapters. The cool option there is you can do the C4 with a dana 300 adapter and an Atlas tcase set up for drivers side drop and end up with a very strong very short packeage....longer rear drive line.

Any swap to a C4 will require new drivelines too.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
broncodan said:
I have heard a lot about the C6, just wondering what the differences are. Is this a better option?

C6 is bigger, and that is about all. Not really any better. It will however suck more horsepower. It is known for being an inefficient trans. Also requires at least a 1" body lift to fit it in and EB. Will also require driveline mods....

broncodan

I just solved my problems. I bought a rolling chassis (76) with the factory power disc brakes, factory power steering, and a C4 with the dana t/c. Now all I need to do is go through it all, and get the hydro assist! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

V-DAWG

someday
Just out of curiosity, is the Bronco white? I had a buddy who bought a white 74 in about 95 or 96, with the shifter on the floor, and it was so close to your leg you could hardly get it into gear.

It was a nice Bronco though. It was on 35" swampers, and had a locker or two. He ended up selling it because when he replaced the clutch, he messed up the linkage and the t-case was in neutral. He couldn't figure out the problem, so he just gave up.

Good luck with the tranny swap!

broncodan

No, my old bronco was blue. The new one has no body, I plan to buy a fiberglass tub from wildhorses4x4. The shifter is horribly close to your leg, especially where I am a pretty big guy. It certainly takes some getting used to.