Transfer Case Popping Out of 4 Low

mowlasley

Background: 1995 XJ 4.0, AW4, NP 231, blah, blah.

A few years ago, I bashed the crap out of my tranny crossmember on a rock and dented it in pretty good. Despite this, it seemed fairly straight. Since this occurance, it started popping out of 4-low every now and again, which was a major annoyance (and dangerous), especially when climbing. Nothing like instantly being in neutral. This situation has been getting worse and worse until now. It won't stay in 4 low at all now. As soon as you touch the gas, it pops out.

Last night I decided to try to figure out the problem. Adjusting the shift linkage, I can have 2 of the three options. Either I can stay in 4 low or 4 high and not get back into 2 high, or adjusted the other way, so that I can get into 2 high, I have 2 high and 4 high, but it wont stay in 4 low. If I disconnect the linkage entirely and put it in any of the three positions, it will stay there indefinitely. That is fine for technical wheeling, because I can just put it into 4 low and drive around all day, but it would be nice to not have to crawl under the heep anytime I want to get back into 4 high or 2 high. This is driving me crazy! I think I adjusted the linkage about 25 times last night.

The entire drive train seems to be shifted forward about 1/4", as shown by the pivot on the linkage not lining up quite right. Is the tranny mount shot? Do I need a new crossmember? Has anyone experienced this? How do I fix it?

I am at a loss for ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
If everything is shifted forward, that would cause your problem.
Check your motor mounts and tranny mount. Something has to be wrong to let it move that much.
Do you have the t-case dropped at all?

V-DAWG

someday
If everything shifted forward, does the lever hit the floor pan now? That would have been the first place I checked before messing with the linkage. If the lever hits the floor, it may be enough to just bump it out of gear. If that is the case, just cut a little notch out where you need it. I had that problem in one of my vehicles.

mowlasley

I put new motor mounts in last year, and visual inspecting them, they look fine. I think I will loosen them up, and replace the tranny mount, and if it does not shift back, I can blame it on the crossmember (in which case I can talk my wife into a new heavy duty one with transfer case skid).

Notching the floor is a good idea, V-Dawg, I hadn't checked for contact there.