Transmission leak problem!!! Need help!

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
I just put a Tera-low in my jeep. When I take it up a steep hill the tranny leaks. The kit came with an extended seal for the auto tranny i am not sure what side this goes on there fore i have not put it on and i am sure that is why it is leaking. The instructions didn't say anything about the seal which is why i put it together in the first place with out it. The seals i already have in there are farely new from work i had had done recently so i figured all is well. I just found out from my neighbor that it has an extended seal hence the problem. i am sure the answer is obvious to all but this is my first time with this and i am not sure if the seal goes on the transfer case or the tranny. please help i am running out of time.
Thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The seal extension goes in the back of the transmission--pull the existing seal out, press in the seal extension in it's place, then plug your Tcase back on. The problem is that the input shaft isn't quite long enough to reach the existing seal, so it allows ATF to flow into the cavity between the trans and Tcase. The extension should fix that right up. :cool:

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
Are you sure i have to pull the existing out cause I happened to mess with that before i put the t-case back in and it looked like it wasn't the same size. But you are positive the old has to come out?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yeah, it presses in the same bore the seal goes in.

Wait wait....I really should ask if this is a TJ, and if so, is it a 3 speed or 4 speed auto? (the seal extension is for 3speed auto TJ's)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Here's a crappy picture of that extension....if you can see it, the part of the sleeve that's machined down should be the same as the O.D. of the seal in the back of the trans, so it presses into that bore. The larger diameter sticks out the back, and houses the new seal.

imgsize.php

http://www.teraflexplus.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=219

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
ok if you are sure cause i got someone else telling me that the seal works on top of your old one which kinda makes sense. so i have to choose which is right. you see my dilema

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
ok if you are sure cause i got someone else telling me that the seal works on top of your old one which kinda makes sense. so i have to choose which is right. you see my dilema

It should be pretty apparent once the Tcase is removed from the transmission, but the extension definitely presses into the tailhousing of the tranny.

If I'm not right for some reason, post back up and re-educate me. :)

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
Ok. Anyone else agree with Carl just for second opinion. Cause i really want this to be the last time i have to pull the belly pan off.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Carl is 100% correct. The existing factory seal in the back of the tranny comes out in favor of the new TeraFlex seal extension.