trashed my ARB

Johnny4X4

I have trashed my ARB in my Jeep.

i opened it up last night to change the oil cause it was leaking, and i beheld a horrible site.

all the bolts holding the locker together were broken and in the bottom of the housing, along with the pins and some various undefinable chewed up metal parts. after rubbing off all the oil, i also discovered 3 small cracks in the Locker housing.

amazingly the locker still works- :rofl: but the center pin is just flopping back and fourth in the case, luckily held in by the ring gear.

the ring and pinion look fine, axles look fine, housing looks fine, so i guess all i need is a new carrier or locker that will accept my 4:88's

anyone have one laying around?

Johnny
801-520-8169
or PM me

Yoda55

GET DOWN, DO YOU?

i opened it up last night to change the oil cause it was leaking, and i beheld a horrible site.

all the bolts holding the locker together were broken and in the bottom of the housing, along with the pins and some various undefinable chewed up metal parts. after rubbing off all the oil, i also discovered 3 small cracks in the Locker housing.

amazingly the locker still works- :rofl: but the center pin is just flopping back and fourth in the case, luckily held in by the ring gear.

the ring and pinion look fine, axles look fine, housing looks fine, so i guess all i need is a new carrier or locker that will accept my 4:88's

anyone have one laying around?

Johnny
801-520-8169
or PM me

Any Arb or do you need a specific one?...Lol

Same thing happened to my rd30. called ARB and they sent me out new bolts and locks. Put it back together works fine so far but haven't hit the trails yet. leaving this saturday for a 2 week trip starting. The cracks are by the spring pockets and don't seem to affect it much.

krany

kranberry
Must be another case of ARB installer error... :rolleyes:

Replace it with a Detroit.
no, if i could afford it i would have a arb over Detroit/ lickrite. wheeling in 4l with a locked front and rear is a pita, came back from moab and the next big thing on the jeep is a selectable locker in the front. barking tires every foot you go, un bearable popping of unnamed parts from the front end isn't fun listening to...:rofl: if i was you i would call ARB about it.....

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
nothing like not having a locker because of an airline failure, compressor failure, etc. etc.

Im not a fan of ARBs but if I bought one and it fell apart, I would be calling them for sure.

If they dont give any assistance.....Look into Yukons new Grizzly locker. Its the same basic idea as a Detroit but right now they are giving an amazing warranty.....if you have any problems with it, they will replace the locker, any other parts you might have broke because of it AND labor!! Lets see ARB or Eaton do that!

I like my Grizzly lockers a lot

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Every time my D30 ARB came apart, my D30 was bent. You may want to check that out. EXACT same symptoms as you're describing except I had bolts or ??? run through the ring/pinion once or twice (I think just once). I went through at least 3-4 housings. (there's a few fixes for that. I chose to combine two D30s into a D60)

That said, I'd still buy an ARB. (in fact, been looking at 14 bolt ones lately)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yep, a bent housing will cause those bolts to back out and bad things happen.

The newest style ARB's don't use a bolt-together case, so they don't have the same problem....but that doesn't justify a bent housing. :(

Coco

nothing like not having a locker because of an airline failure, compressor failure, etc. etc.

this is by FAR the worst part of ARBs. happened to me over EJS '09. front locker fitting on the axle came apart. I was basically blowing compressed air into my axle, and it came right out my breather... had no front locker that day:mad:

Johnny4X4

it's a really old ARB, been in there for 11 years. they dont sell parts for it anymore, i sent them an e-mail and they said they would give me a discount on a new one.

yeah it's still really expensive!!

so i am going to look into other options for awhile.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
it's a really old ARB, been in there for 11 years. they dont sell parts for it anymore, i sent them an e-mail and they said they would give me a discount on a new one.

yeah it's still really expensive!!

so i am going to look into other options for awhile.

I'll see if I've still got some bolts for mine kicking around? I haven't seen any, but I'll check. Do you have enough of a bolt you could take one to Nut & Bolt or similar and have them match it up?

GOAT

Back from the beyond

Same thing happened to my rd30. .

Every time my D30 ARB came apart, my D30 was bent.

Bingo. Attempting to run 37s on a D30 cant be good in any regard.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Must be another case of ARB installer error... :rolleyes:

Or a bent housing ;)

EDIT: What parts do you need? I have some of the cylinder cap bolts here. Though in every D30 case I've seen breaking them... they have had a bent housing (staring with MBryson's 6-7 years ago). Other lockers might react better or last longer with the bent housing but that can't be named as a fault of the ARB & as Carl pointed out the newer ARB's are all 1-piece thus eliminating this issue all together.

Johnny4X4

Pics

Attachments

• IMGP1528.JPG
    IMGP1528.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMGP1527.JPG
    IMGP1527.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMGP1524.JPG
    IMGP1524.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMGP1523.JPG
    IMGP1523.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMGP1522.JPG
    IMGP1522.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMGP1521.JPG
    IMGP1521.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 5

Johnny4X4

well-- i have decided (most likely stupidly) that i am going to put it back together.

i am going to match up the bolts tomorrow, and go on the search for the cross shaft retaining pin ( maybe have one made), and run it until it grenades while looking for a 44 or spending some dough on a couple of 60's. (if i ever get some $$)

cant just let it sit there all summer ;)