Travel Advice

embabe

My own epidemic!
So, my best friend and I are leaving to go on a cruise this Saturday, and since we're completely new to this, I thought I'd see if any of you all have been on a cruise or have advice to share about traveling or whatnot. We'll be sailing out of Tampa and cruising to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. We'd love any advide we can get! :D

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I have been to Cozumel twice. Very cool place. Do you scuba dive by chance?? The diving there is incredible. What kind of advice are you looking for, things like "how not to get yourself into the wrong side of town", or advice like "what to do and see once you get there". How long will you be in each place?

embabe

My own epidemic!
I'm not a registered scuba diver and neither is my friend, but they do offer "snuba" which is like scuba but they have the air tanks above the water. I'd love ANY advice you can give me...like what is "the wrong side of town" and we'd love to know insider tricks of what to see and what not. We'll be about a day each in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but I wish we could afford to stay longer!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
You can do what they call a "dive experience" where they give you some quick lessons, put you in the gear, and you dive with a dive master by your side the whole time. There are some limits of how deep you can go, and how long you can stay down, but see if you can get a "dive experience" rather than a snuba. All of the tourist places you will see in cozumel will be good to visit. Tourism is a huge part of their economy, so they are good at making you feel welcome and happy. The little shop vendors will do all kind of things to get you to come into their store.
If you only have a day in cozumel see if you can set up a dive apointment with these guys http://www.liquidbluedivers.com Roberto is the owner and see if he can take you diving that day. It may even work out where they can take you on a dive, then leave you on a cool beach for an hour or so while others do a second dive. Not sure if he can do that or not, but it maybe worth asking.

Turbobob

Semper Fi
When you are in Grand Cayman, you have to go out to Stingray city! The water is shallow and you swim with wild stingrays. We did a scuba trip there and it was amazing. I'm pretty sure they take snorkelers too.:) If you are just doing land lubber stuff, there is a place called "Hell" on the north end of the island that is kinda cool, and they also have the worlds largest turtle farm you can tour.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Just be careful....cruise lines lose about a dozen passengers a year...yeah....lose...that means they check in but disappear before they get home.

They had a big thing on Dateline a few months ago about cruise liner horror stories, it was pretty scarey...but have a good time....

embabe

My own epidemic!
:ugh: :eek: Well I wasn't nervous till now.... :ugh:

I think we'll be ok though. We have sworn to stick to the buddy system at ALL times and no strangers in our cabin and no going into strangers' cabins and what not... Our other really good friend is getting married in July and she made us swear we'd come back so she could get married.:rolleyes:

Bone Down

on top of what spencurai said, try not to get yourself to drunk and try and keep an eye on your drinks seems like that same dateline deal mentioned a lot of rapes and what not as well as getting ripped off in your cabins.

just watch yourself closely you will be a long way from home and your comfort zone.

embabe

My own epidemic!
I'm not too super worried because we don't drink, so we should have full control of our faculties most of the time. ....Not that we can't have so much fun we might seem like we're drunk sometimes... ;)