Tree purchasing

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Looking for somewhere to buy evergreen trees. I have checked wasatch shadows and Glover but there trees are all too little. I have been to progressive before but they are closed on saturday (wtf) and only open during hours I am at work. Anywhere else that may have decent trees, bigger than 8-10ft?

gary78bronco

Looking for somewhere to buy evergreen trees. I have checked wasatch shadows and Glover but there trees are all too little. I have been to progressive before but they are closed on saturday (wtf) and only open during hours I am at work. Anywhere else that may have decent trees, bigger than 8-10ft?
Try Cook's in Orem or Olsen's in Payson

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Vineyard Garden Center (435 S Geneva Rd, Orem, UT 84058 (801) 225-4357)
Noles Nursery (1915 E 6400 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84121 (801) 278-1237)
J&J Nursery (1815 W Gentile St, Layton, UT 84041 (801) 544-1211)

My favorite place to buy yard stuff is J&J. They have tons and tons of plants and 40-ish acres of land out back that you can roam through to find the perfect tree. I have bought many things from them and will continue to do so.
I have also bought from Noles and Vineyard. Noles is a family place with the back yard full of trees. They seem to have less of a selection but are often larger trees to start with.
My parents and siblings have bought a lot from Vineyard but its been a while for me so I couldn't really say what they seem to have in stock.

I'd recommend staying away from Glover and Wasatch Shadows as I have found their prices do tend to be pretty high for what they offer.

It is still fairly early for trees and the places will just start to get their shipments for the season in. For Utah, most of the trees come from Oregon/Washington.
What I like about J&J is that they buy trees then have them on their back property for a while (multiple years often) to acclimate to Utah climate. From your post it sounds like you want something big from the get go.
I'm not sure exactly what your reasons for this are but its a lot easier to keep a smaller tree alive than a big one. I'd suggest going smaller for price and ease of care.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Not sure on the size limit, but someone told me you can buy some kind of permit from the forest service to dig up a tree to replant in your yard.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Thanks,I will look into that, didn't know that was possible. I traveled up to J&J nursey. I couldn't believe their prices. Felt like I have been ripped off buying stuff down here. There trees were $100 cheaper than the other places I have been. Unfortunately the two trees I was after were both sold out. They had them sitting there but someone had already purchased them. we stopped by Tri-city on the way back and they had a good selection.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Glad to see you went up there. I have told many co workers about traveling outside of the valley to look at trees but they could never get over the drive. Did you happen to ask anyone if they had more in stock or whether they would be getting more in soon? What trees specifically are you looking at?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
There staff was very friendly and helpful. They said they would need to dig more up and they didn't have anyone there that day that could dig them out. They said to call back this week sometime. I am going to check out the places in utah county just to see what they have. Mu uncle also recommended a nursey in Lindon. We were looking for a riverside spruce and for a Karl Fuchs cedar.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Lake Mountain Tree Movers. They have a Nursery in Saratoga Springs, right on the corner of Redwood Road and Pony Express Parkway. I've purchased several large trees from them. If the trunk diameter is greater than 4", they have to install it for you.

http://www.lakemtntreemovers.com

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Depends on the tree your looking for but J& J, also a place just off the freeway to the west in Layton had alot of trees but we ended up going to a nursery in linden, they had bark there as well that was chapter than we had seen else where. Ended up getting deodoar cedar in Kashmir.