Trip Invite: Kayak/Canoe Trip on the Green River - May 8-11

sixstringsteve

A group of friends and I are going to be kayaking the green river in Moab May 8-11. 45 miles on the river, over 4-5 days. We'll be doing day hikes and camping on the shore each night.

The river is mellow, zero whitewater. It's more like a moving lake. Permits are required and there are restrictions in place (human waste, pfd, fires, etc). Post up if you want to come. We're a family-friendly group. We don't mind if you bring alcohol, but don't expect a wild party with our group.

sixstringsteve

Awesome. I'm stoked for this trip. The only trip I'm more excited for is the wind rivers trip in Aug, but this is a very close second.

Rock Taco

I would love to make this trip. I would need to rent a kayak. I need to do some more research before I commit.

sixstringsteve

Darn, it would have been good to finally meet you Houndoc. We will definitely have a trip report/video afterwards.

We still have open spots if anyone wants to join. FWIW, we're total novice kayakers, and the river is very mellow.

sixstringsteve

More details on the trip:

MAY 8-11:

Plan on 5 days on the river. We'll be running Labyrinth Canyon from Ruby Ranch (or nearby) to Mineral Bottom (45 miles). We will cover about 15 miles per day.

Everyone needs to plan their own boat rental, transport, and shuttle, as well as secure their own river permit from the BLM (FREE, you just print it out). I'm happy to team up with anyone who wants to shuttle with us, but I won't be able to plan everything.

Put-in Location: Ruby Ranch (or possibly @ Crystal Geyser to avoid fees)
Put-in Date: May 08, 2014
Pick-up Location: Mineral Bottom
Pick-up Date: May 11, 2014

You'll need to either borrow, buy, or rent a boat. You can haul it to Moab yourself, or you can rent one in Moab and work out a way to drop it off at Ruby Ranch on the 7th and pick it up at Mineral Bottom on the

My wife and I both have inflatable kayaks. We will have room in our truck to help shuttle other inflatables and 2-3 more people, but I don't have a way to transport hard-sided kayaks or canoes. We can fit some inflatables in though.

Trip info:

We're running the green river from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom. This is a 45 mile trip, that usually takes 2-3 days, but we're going to take longer so we have time for hikes. We will be paddling in the morning, doing day hikes, then paddling to our camping spot on the beaches every night. The river is high-volume, but very mellow with zero rapids. I would be surprised if we saw many ripples in the water. It's like a giant moving lake. If it's windy, we'll have to paddle hard against the wind for a tiring day. If it's not windy, we shouldn't have to paddle much at all.

You need to get your own permit to run the Green River. Permits are here.

May 7 - camp in Moab, leaving shuttle cars at Mineral Bottom. Probably camping along dubinky well rd.
May 8 - 9 AM: Launch boats @ Ruby Ranch* (or possibly in Crystal Geyser for free).
May 8 - get out on the river and explore. Camp that night on the river
May 9 - camping on the river
May 10 - camping on the river
May 11 - arrive at Mineral Bottom to shuttle the boats back to our cars.

Fees:
* Ruby Ranch charges $10.00 per boat and $5.00 per person to launch at their facility.

Planning:
http://wiki.worldflicks.org/bowknot_bend.html

Kayaking FAQs
http://www.texsriverways.com/rentals.cfm
http://www.texsriverways.com/labyrinth.cfm

Vehicle:
Cars are fine, no 4x4 required, though the roads to Mineral Bottom and Ruby Ranch are bumpy fire roads.

Tent:
It needs to be small enough to fit into your boat (so no springbars). There's a chance of bugs. We'll be sleeping on sandy beaches.

Equipment Needed:
- wag bags or a sealable toilet. See special considerations below.
- dry bags (to keep things dry)
- water. Bring 5 gallons per person, or a bucket and filtration system. The water is really silty, so you need a bucket to let the silt settle before filtering.
- sunscreen
- bug spray
- carry a fire pan that is 12" wide and 2.5" tall. I believe we need a fire pan even if we don't plan on having a fire.

Meals:
You're in charge of your own breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 5 days.

Special Considerations:
- All overnight trips on the Colorado and Green Rivers must have and use a washable, reusable toilet system or the type of toilet system that uses dry chemicals and enzymes to render solid human waste into non hazardous products acceptable for disposal in permitted landfills. Here are some plans to make your own: DIY sealable reuseable toilet system.

Safety:
We recommend that people wear their life vests at all times. It is required by law that each person have a Type 3 life vest within reach. Children under 12 must wear a life vest while canoeing. All persons regardless of age are required by law to wear life vests while canoeing on the Colorado River below the confluence with the Green River.

To avoid the loss of equipment we advise the use of tie down lines to secure your gear inside the canoe at all times while canoeing.

A portable water vessel (bucket or pail) is required for bailing, settling river water or extinguishing campfires.

The importance of securing your unattended boat cannot be stressed enough. When leaving a canoe unattended for any length of time, always tie it with bow and stern lines to a secure tree, rock or other anchor point. Check the security of all lines before going to bed. Where possible it is best to pull canoes completely out of the water, even when taking short walks away from the river.

Do not canoe in high wind conditions. More parties capsize in high winds than in any other situation. If you are in a situation that leaves you no other options, then stay as near to the shoreline as possible. Otherwise, go ashore for safety.

Due to the possibility of flash floods, exercise extreme caution when selecting a campsite in or near side canyons. Never camp or leave your canoe unattended in a canyon drainage no matter how calm the weather may be.

When camped on a sand bar it is recommended that you place your camp away from the water's edge a minimum of 10 ft. Choose a sand bar that is 2 ft. or more above water level. Fluctuations in water level in the main river channel of more than 1 ft. in an overnight period are very rare.
It is required that you have a detailed river map in your possession at launch time.

In the event of a medical emergency or other such problem during your trip continue on to a pick-up point. Ground transportation is readily available at Ruby Ranch and Mineral Bottom. Jet boats are at the Confluence several days a week. Do not attempt to hike out for help. Seek out other canoers for help and communication of your emergency to outside resources. Cell phones do not work in this area.

We suggest that all swimmers wear a floatation device. State law requires persons swimming from a boat to wear a life vest.

Be aware of all water and sun hazards. Swim at your own risk. Never jump or dive into the river. Wear shoes at all times while swimming or bathing. Protect yourself from the sun with suitable clothing. Sun glasses, hats and sun screen are advised. The danger of abusing intoxicants is greatly increased in a wilderness setting.

What shouldn't I forget?
Large heavy duty plastic tarp - This is especially nice for setting up a kitchen/sleeping area when camped on a sand bar. Don't forget a whisk broom to keep the sand off. Tarps are also great for keeping a dry camp in rainy weather.
River shoes - These can be as simple as an old pair of sneakers or as high tech as water sandals. It is essential to have shoes that you can get wet and muddy with no worries. A second pair of dry "camp shoes" is also important for hiking and comfort around camp.
First aid kit - A good basic first aid kit is a must for any wilderness trip.
Rain gear - One of those items you may not need but will be glad to have if you do.
Insect repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm, a hat, toilet paper and extra rope. These are items that everyone hopes they haven't forgotten but never remember until that first night in camp.
Water, or a water filter. The Green River is very silty. If you plan on filtering it, you'll need a container that will allow all the sand and silt to settle to the bottom before filtering.

Last edited: