Trip Report: Forest Lake Service Project, 7/28-7/29

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
First off, thanks to all those that made the Forest Lake project a HUGE sucsess. We accomplished nearly everything the Forest Service had hoped to accomplish. :cool: A great turnout from our local clubs and forums!

I don't know the final numbers, but we probably had ~50 volunteers, and put up over 300 fett of fence. It was tiring and alot of work, but worth it to know the trail will be protected for further use in the years to come. :cool:

Thanks again everyone! Get ready for NPLD 9/30, we could use even more help that day (thankfully not as much digging needed ;))

Yes, a very fun and productive activity!

Here are a few of the pics I took.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i'll tell you what... that was the hardest i've worked in years, no lie. my wrists were shot to the point that i couldn't lift another rail... but, one of the coolest events i've been involved with. it was awesome to see so many people give up a day of wheeling when it so close to them... so close you could taste it.... taste the dirt... every time someone drove by on their ATV... or dirt bike.. or jeep... having fun... but, building fences is fun too.:D

i was with Kurt for most of the day loading up rails at the river crossing then transporting them up to the project sites. in the morning we loaded up two loads of rails, about 30 rails average. each rail averaging around 50lbs a piece, plus the trailer, plus toting them up a mountain... in 2nd and 3rd gear... Kurt's cruiser is most definately the blue ox!

anyways, here's some pics from the many that i took... it was hard to find some that didn't have Steve sitting down, but i scrounged up what i could...;)

Steve, you are the man!

-Jason

PS... notice the pic of the blue jeep between the pics of mark and JamesK... busted for driving through the lake, right past posted signs prohibiting it... and might i also add; that he drove through while there were 2-3 rangers in plain sight writing up a ticket to an ATV'er who had driven through just minutes prior.. i could hear one of the rangers from the other side, "alright, who's the driver?"... those guys'll get ya, they're serious. don't play in thier lake...

Attachments

• camp - resized.jpg
    camp - resized.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 41
  • camp2 - resized.jpg
    camp2 - resized.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 31
  • fence build - resized.jpg
    fence build - resized.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 31
  • loading the rails - resized.jpg
    loading the rails - resized.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 39
  • steve excited- resized.jpg
    steve excited- resized.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 33
  • mark - resized.jpg
    mark - resized.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 136
  • volunteers - resized.jpg
    volunteers - resized.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
  • busted - resized.jpg
    busted - resized.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 49
  • bike trail - resized.jpg
    bike trail - resized.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 47
  • rigs - resized.jpg
    rigs - resized.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
SAMI said:
anyways, here's some pics from the many that i took... it was hard to find some that didn't have Steve sitting down, but i scrounged up what i could...;)

Management has it's privelages! My back is a little sore today though. Like you said, it was hard work, but still fun and definitely worth it!

SAMI said:
PS... notice the pic of the blue jeep between the pics of mark and JamesK... busted for driving through the lake, right past posted signs prohibiting it... and might i also add; that he drove through while there were 2-3 rangers in plain sight writing up a ticket to an ATV'er who had driven through just minutes prior.. i could hear one of the rangers from the other side, "alright, who's the driver?"... those guys'll get ya, they're serious. don't play in thier lake...

Wow, I didn't know about that. What a goofball. I think he had out of state plates. I remember him passing us as we were working on the lower fence.

Another guy was actually stuck in the lake (got a little water in the intake from splashing around) on Friday. The rangers gave him a good scolding, and told him they wouldn't pull him out due to liability. Since we were all official volunteers, the same rule applied to us. He had to wait until Tim Rasmussen was heading home (and off the FS clock). We made him sign up as a U4WDA member in exchange for a pull and some help getting the engine going. We would have helped him anyway, but he was more than happy to pay the membership fee.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Meat_ said:
Sure, post a picture of me looking like a state worker.

That jeep only drove past 3 signs....

i found one of you working... one, out of some 200 pics... ;) ... i'd post it, but it might offend EZ...:D it's abit... provocative for RME...:ugh:

-Jason

Meat_

Banned
SAMI said:
i found one of you working... one, out of some 200 pics... ;) ... i'd post it, but it might offend EZ...:D it's abit... provocative for RME...:ugh:

-Jason
It turned out? Usually when I'm working I'm moving too fast for a digital camera to catch me.

Meat_

Banned
mbryson said:
Working???? Meat???? You took pics at night on State Street?
I've got my own supply of cheeseburgers (I'll lay money on the fact that only Badger will get that TV reference)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
here's some more.... i edited the one of meat to make it look like he was working.. he was really picking his nose or something...

-Jason

Attachments

• THE MAN - resized.jpg
    THE MAN - resized.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 31
  • campsite fence - resized.jpg
    campsite fence - resized.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 30
  • the ox's load - resized.jpg
    the ox's load - resized.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 21
  • checking the load - resized.jpg
    checking the load - resized.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Meat actually working.jpg
    Meat actually working.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 41
  • slackers.jpg
    slackers.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 33
  • auger action.jpg
    auger action.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 28

krazz1e

That trailer saved the day.

Glad us rover guys could lend a hand. We wish we could of stayed longer, but it seems like more people rolled in after we left. Every little bit helps.

Attachments

• BLM 005.jpg
    BLM 005.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 20

Meat_

Banned
SAMI said:
here's some more.... i edited the one of meat to make it look like he was working.. he was really picking his nose or something...

-Jason
heh

I don't know why I was the only one there who knew that it works better if someone holds the pole while the holes get drilled.

Seth

These go to 11
Map? I don't need no stinking map! 4 hours later, after going up 4 other canyons, turns out I needed a map. Sorry bout that guys. Next time I will get a way point and be on time.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
mbryson said:
attachment.php

What a pile......... Who's junk is that?
Both red, both junk:rofl: . At least the rest of the day went better than it started. Spent Sunday pulling the tank finding the problem and making repairs. Saturday Linda and I are going to put some miles on it. Linda in the junk and me in my tennis shoe. We have a long one on Labor Day Weekend and can’t be breaking down.