Trip Report- Mineral Basin, Sat Aug 6

sixstringsteve

Nice to meet you Scott. We'll do it again sometime. I talked to my neighbor, Jerome, who was in the red bronco. He said the trail didn't get any easier from where he left us. So we'll have to go back another time, and camp overnight up there. I'll keep ya posted.

I took pics and video. It'll be a day or two, but I"ll get 'em posted soon.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Nice to meet you Scott. We'll do it again sometime. I talked to my neighbor, Jerome, who was in the red bronco. He said the trail didn't get any easier from where he left us. So we'll have to go back another time, and camp overnight up there. I'll keep ya posted.

Well looks like I need to get my 4runner done to come back. I don't know how much more my "sliders" on my tacoma could take :rofl:. This trip made me realize how much better it is to wheel a built truck than a stocker. Not to mention since my wife drives that tacoma 90% of the time, she has taken to it.

It was a blast!

sixstringsteve

yeah, those "sliders" got a workout! :D

You did a great job driving it through there. It was bigger than last time I went up there.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
yeah, those "sliders" got a workout! :D

You did a great job driving it through there. It was bigger than last time I went up there.

Yeah with low clearance and stock gears, there was to much bumping around and using the skinny pedal. I know it was not bad, just more than I like.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member

Sounds like the winter took it toll.. I'm all up for another trip and camping sounds good too. :thumbs:

kulangflow

I had an awesome time! For my 99% stock truck, the last section with just myself and Jerome was pretty challenging. Someone had said it would be mostly 4-high and a quick jaunt. I kept thinking, "When do we get to the 4-high part?" I think this last winter had a large effect on the trail.

I seriously needed some sliders. I'll post some pics of what they likely would have prevented. It's not much, but it's noticeable.

Also, I ended up getting high centered going back down through the rock garden. Jerome was able to free the truck quickly with a chain. Thanks Jerome!

It was great to meet everyone. I look forward to the next outing.

Thanks all!

Manlaan

I drove up Mineral Basin to the top last weekend, and did Forest Lake this weekend and I'll have to say that both trails are far more difficult than they used to be. It seems there has been quite a bit of erosion on both of these trails.

Granted I'm only running on 31's on the truck I took up, but the sliders and armor took a bit of a beating on both trails.

kulangflow

Here's a quick collage showing some of the damage my truck took:

94133da9.jpg

sixstringsteve

Sorry for all the pics of my rig. My wife was driving, so I finally got the chance to take some pictures of my rig.

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Looks like fun, I remember going up there on 31's last summer and will not do it again, too much scraping. That Zuki is so cool, I love small rigs that go play with the bigger guys!

sixstringsteve

It's funny. Whenever I post up trips like this and I say "sliders highly recommended", then someone comes in saying "I've done it a million times without sliders, they're not necessary." It was definitely bigger this year than last year. Tons of fun though, I can't wait to go back. I just hate that bumpy gravel road that goes up to the start of the trail.

Scott's sami is awesome. A sami on 31's goes places that most rigs on 33's can barely get through. It doesn't hurt that he's a great driver.

Last edited:

kulangflow

Good to see a Hardbody out on the trail. I would kill to have those manual locking hubs for my Pathy!
Unfortunately, those are the stock auto-locking hubs. I guess they just look like manuals.

How are you liking the OME suspension on your Pathy? I may be looking to upgrade soon.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Only body damage I have ever received was on Mineral Basin in the rock garden. Put a real nice dent in the passenger side rocker. Would have been nice to have sliders. ;)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Unfortunately, those are the stock auto-locking hubs. I guess they just look like manuals.

How are you liking the OME suspension on your Pathy? I may be looking to upgrade soon.

Are they? For some reason the look like manuals. Maybe I need to look closer.

Loving the OME setup. On road and off it makes a HUGE difference. Highly recommend it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It's funny. Whenever I post up trips like this and I say "sliders highly recommended", then someone comes in saying "I've done it a million times without sliders, they're not necessary." It was definitely bigger this year than last year. Tons of fun though, I can't wait to go back. I just hate that bumpy gravel road that goes up to the start of the trail.

Scott's sami is awesome. A sami on 31's goes places that most rigs on 33's can barely get through. It doesn't hurt that he's a great driver.

Most who claim they don't need sliders are either on 35's or just drive a beat up POS and don't care. Last year I did the rock garden on 31's and 33's without any spotting, this year a spotter was a must but that was partially due to my front drive line popping out and the rocks had shifted a lot. I love it up there for the scenery and most non-holiday weekends are quiet and cool, great to get out of the heat and camp for a few days.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Ive always has a place for a nice looking/working sami.

I've been really happy with this current Sami, it has been working good so far. I don't think I could ever move on to anything else. I've been running Samurai's for 10 years and will for many more.

FYI it is running 30" tires, not 31" no big deal, I really like the smaller tire rigs. Of course my buggy will be running big boy tires fo sho. :D

Thanks again Steve I can't wait to go again! It was nice to wheel with some new people.