Trip to California

mojeepn

Neons are cool
So we're taking the cherokee to go pick up a puppy from California, and it's the first long trip I've ever taken with it. As I'm new to the Jeep thing, is there anything I ought to check besides oil, tire pressure (obvious stuff) before I go? It has 165k miles on it *I think* and it has has a couple of the coolent components changed and the heater core changed, but everything else I think is original (besides the ugly fender that's getting painted the correct color now--sick of driving the hoopdy mobile).

Monica

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
When you check your tires, jack up the vehicle so you can spin the tire. Check the pressure, and do a visual inspection of the tire. Make sure you have proper tread depth all around the tire and that there are no damages to the tire that might compromise it in any way. Check your owner's manual, or the door placard for proper pressure.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
grease you zerks znd check your u-joints. If you are going south on I-15, after you leave Primm Nevada and enter California, check your tires. The road between there and Baker CA is completely covered in tire scraps from people blowing tires. Tires get hot and go Kaboom.

mojeepn

Neons are cool
That's good to know. We're going to be leaving after 6 on Saterday, so it won't be so bad. We're hoping just to make it to Vegas that night and drive the rest of the way on Sunday. On the way back though...that's another story. Guess we better go ahead and get that spare mounted too...:)

Lazarus401

Old Time RME'r
Where in California are you going? And hickey is right about that stretch by Baker. Tires everywhere. It is best to try and get threw Death Valley in the morning or evening.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by Hickey
grease you zerks znd check your u-joints. If you are going south on I-15, after you leave Primm Nevada and enter California, check your tires. The road between there and Baker CA is completely covered in tire scraps from people blowing tires. Tires get hot and go Kaboom.

that baker stretch SUCKS. tires and some of the people on that stretch.