Tron: Legacy

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I really enjoyed the new movie. Since the original writer/director was onboard with the new movie, and original characters were onboard with the project, I hoped it would be very good. I wasn't disappointed. Now if only I could my DVD of the original...

Nerdy thing I did watching the new movie... Looking for the Mickey Mouse head while they were on the light sail transport... Didn't see it.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
boy on one of my other sites I frequent everyone was saying how terrible this movie is... and how it kind of lost the story about 30 mins in.... yet I come to this site and every one of the nerds are praising it....

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Here is my impression:

Taking a movie that is a pillar of computer nerd culture, revitalizing it and presenting a sequel with broad market appeal a generation later is a hard thing to do. The story itself was relatively weak, but easy to follow. But you're not going to see Tron for the story. Thats like saying you wanted to see The Expendables for the acting. No, you go to see Tron for the special effects, and they were there in spades!
The graphics in this film were nothing short of spectacular. Between paying homage to the original and pushing the boundaries of what is currently capable, Tron: Legacy was all over it. You just couldn't help but be in awe of the world that they managed to create. The fact that every frame of this movie was digitally enhanced is impressive. And yes, that has been done before, but where movies like the Star Wars prequels failed miserably, Tron succeeded.
All that being said, I think that Tron can also be seen as a bit of a social commentary. Here we are in 2010 and this movie all about a computer world is a major box office release that has garnered a lot of attention. Twenty-eight years ago when the original was released it was praised for its technological achievements, but generally forgotten except for by a very small group of people categorized as nerds. But now everyone is a computer nerd. Who doesn't have a computer in their pocket? Who doesn't get on the computer at home multiple times a day? Who doesn't constantly get online to communicate with other people over vast distances? That is why Disney decided to make a sequel to Tron, because we now live in a world full of nerds, even if most people won't admit it.
I'll close with this fantastic comic from Scott Ramsoomair's VG Cats:

Caleb

boy on one of my other sites I frequent everyone was saying how terrible this movie is... and how it kind of lost the story about 30 mins in.... yet I come to this site and every one of the nerds are praising it....
Huh? Now they do realize that this is not Tron remade, right? It's Tron Legacy. I would hope that the sequel to any movie doesn't have the same story and the first one. It's not a best movie ever made but it a very enjoyable show. I think Stephen's review was spot on.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Good review indeed... I didn't know much about the original movie before seeing it, other than thinking, "How can you make a movie based on a video game"... Little did I know at the time that the game was as much stand alone as it was marketing ploy. Even so, as a photographer, I was completely amazed with the original graphics. Completely new and pre-CGI... And then sort of forgot about it until about 10 years ago. Thinking that it was funny we were all users, in a fashion... And yet, all the cubicle dwellers were mere programs. I know there are those that apply sort of "mystic" importance on the original, and more specifically the Wendy Carlos soundtrack. I believe this new movie stands on its own for those that don't the know the Tron storyline. Is there enough there to make another movie? I don't know. But probably. If so, will it diminish the stock of the original? Or will it build off the second as well as this did the first? Last question... IF there is another movie, will we have to wait another 28 years? Its only slightly worse than waiting for Boston to release something new...

Hehe...

End of line...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
One other thing I forgot to mention. The soundtrack by Daft Punk is EPIC!

Indeed, that definitely helped it out a lot! I downloaded that after getting home from the movie.

I give the movie a thumbs up, it stands on it's own very well. I'd go see it again and I'll be getting it on Blu ray. Oh, and I thought the first was cheesy as hell and not that great, when I saw it a week ago :greg:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Indeed, that definitely helped it out a lot! I downloaded that after getting home from the movie.

I give the movie a thumbs up, it stands on it's own very well. I'd go see it again and I'll be getting it on Blu ray. Oh, and I thought the first was cheesy as hell and not that great, when I saw it a week ago :greg:

It was entertaining enough that I will probably go see it in the theater again. Which is rare for me, but even though it wasn't a great movie, the visuals were just so spectacular that seeing it on the big screen is so worth it!