Truck Buildup.

78mitsu

My truck buildup in short, in progress.
injected smallblock powerplant
nv4500 transmission
waggy 44 front
e body mopar 60 rear (originally bought for a different project)
doubler comin' up. case
4130 chromolly tubing.
sitting on 40" TSL swampers on rockcrawler rims.
four linking front. Probabbly get Hydro assist.
removable fiberglass front clip

Truck started out as a factory sponsored Score truck during the 80s then spent 10 years in Palm springs rotting away.
Questions comments welcome.

Attachments

• 100_0169.jpg
    100_0169.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0168.jpg
    100_0168.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0164.jpg
    100_0164.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0167.jpg
    100_0167.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_0165.jpg
    100_0165.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0171.jpg
    100_0171.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0163.jpg
    100_0163.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0166.jpg
    100_0166.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0173.jpg
    100_0173.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0172.jpg
    100_0172.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think that's friggin SWEET to have an actual ex-factory race truck... and chop it up for a trail rig! Ought to kick ass when it's done.

78mitsu

I've got the 44 for the front converted over to 5 on 5.5 and I'm in the process of building the wishbone for the front, You're dad stopped by on Sunday for a peek, he was drooling over the 40's. Do you know if he has ordered those heims yet?

78mitsu

update
changed front axle to 5 on 5.5 started fabbing up wishbone and spring hangers have the High steer arms on and the drag link built.

Attachments

• 100_0185.jpg
    100_0185.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_0186.jpg
    100_0186.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_0187.jpg
    100_0187.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0188.jpg
    100_0188.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0189.jpg
    100_0189.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_0191.jpg
    100_0191.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_0192.jpg
    100_0192.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0193.jpg
    100_0193.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 11

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Two things:

1 - details on how you did the 5 on 5.5" swap. I'm fixin' to do this in a couple weeks, and I think I've got the parts list correct, but if you could run over it I can compare notes.

2 - you realize that the Waggy D44 will never hold up to 40's, right? Heavy 40's would require a built D60 to avoid mass carnage.

78mitsu

DevinB said:
Two things:

1 - details on how you did the 5 on 5.5" swap. I'm fixin' to do this in a couple weeks, and I think I've got the parts list correct, but if you could run over it I can compare notes.

2 - you realize that the Waggy D44 will never hold up to 40's, right? Heavy 40's would require a built D60 to avoid mass carnage.

answer:

1 - The 5 on 5.5 swap. Parts List:

gm flat top knuckles drilled and tapped to accept high steer arms

SMALL GM SPINDLES - or do like me and get the Waggy spindles machined to accept the ford inner bearings.

Go to Napa and ask for brake rotors for a 80 Ford F150 inner outer bearings and seals (good time to do spindle seals too, but not a necessity Mine were tore up so I did)

Hubs will fit out of the chevy, and you're good to go.

2- I'm only going to be around 3500 lbs total, because of the chromo tubing and the fiberglass front end and no interior and lightweight seats etc. 3800 at the most. (that's full of fuel and 2 passengers) and the engine is set back so that more of the powertrain weight will be transferred to the backend which will be a partial floating dana 60. That 44 will eventually get chromo shafts and ox joints, but it isn't in the budget for this year. I'm not locking the front end until I get the shafts and ox joints so there will be some give in it. I'm upgrading to the high end MOOG ball joints they are supposed to be heavy enough to take it, if it was a full sized truck.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Thanks for the swap info. Did you re-use the waggy calipers?

78mitsu said:
2- I'm only going to be around 3500 lbs total, because of the chromo tubing and the fiberglass front end and no interior and lightweight seats etc. 3800 at the most. (that's full of fuel and 2 passengers) and the engine is set back so that more of the powertrain weight will be transferred to the backend which will be a partial floating dana 60. That 44 will eventually get chromo shafts and ox joints, but it isn't in the budget for this year. I'm not locking the front end until I get the shafts and ox joints so there will be some give in it. I'm upgrading to the high end MOOG ball joints they are supposed to be heavy enough to take it, if it was a full sized truck.

The weight of your tires is more important than the weight of your rig in this scenario. Even if you can get your axle shafts and u-joints to survive, the weight of the tires will break your knuckles (sooner or later) no matter what ball joints you use. Your ring and pinion will also take a beating. Rock Monkey on this board has a high pinion D44 with 37's on his buggy (a lot lighter than your truck) and he admits he's running on borrowed time. A Dana 44 just isn't big enough to handle 40's, especially heavy swampers. For your sake I hope it lasts, but if you look around here and other bulletin boards, you'll find through other's experiences that D44's aren't up to the task.

Bart

Love the build up. Unless you're planning on making it street legal, why not go with fully hydraulic steering? Just a thought.

78mitsu

DevinB said:

The weight of your tires is more important than the weight of your rig in this scenario. Even if you can get your axle shafts and u-joints to survive, the weight of the tires will break your knuckles (sooner or later) no matter what ball joints you use. Your ring and pinion will also take a beating. Rock Monkey on this board has a high pinion D44 with 37's on his buggy (a lot lighter than your truck) and he admits he's running on borrowed time. A Dana 44 just isn't big enough to handle 40's, especially heavy swampers. For your sake I hope it lasts, but if you look around here and other bulletin boards, you'll find through other's experiences that D44's aren't up to the task.

I partially agree with you, But the weight of the rig and how you drive have a lot to do with it, I've been looking for a 60 but buying one and getting it cut down right now isn't cost effective for me. I've seen a built 44 take 37s and a big block on a fullsize rig (drive had a lead foot ask GreatScott) - he did break u joints but the rest of it held up.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
DevinB said:

Da Monkey has a cut down ball joint 60 (and it's a tough b!tch--it's survived some nasty stuff), but you're dead on with the logic.

78mitsu

Bart said:
Love the build up. Unless you're planning on making it street legal, why not go with fully hydraulic steering? Just a thought.

I have thought about it, even put together a equipment list. I'm going hydro assist. Tap the box myself mod the pump and buy the $50 9" industrial ram (or see if someone wants to trade for the 12" ram I have) I am planning on making it street legal - or at leas so I can put tags on it - problem is it was a factory sponsored race truck, it never got an interior so there is no VIN and no TITLE makes it rather complex so if anyone has a 75-82 Mitsubishi or dodge pup they'de be willing to part with the title (and maybe the vin plate) for I'm offering $50 for it.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
mbryson said:
Da Monkey has a cut down ball joint 60 (and it's a tough b!tch--it's survived some nasty stuff), but you're dead on with the logic.

Who am I thinking of then? Herzog? It's someone with a buggy on this board.

78mitsu said:
I partially agree with you, But the weight of the rig and how you drive have a lot to do with it, I've been looking for a 60 but buying one and getting it cut down right now isn't cost effective for me. I've seen a built 44 take 37s and a big block on a fullsize rig (drive had a lead foot ask GreatScott) - he did break u joints but the rest of it held up.

Like I said, I hope it works for you. Just don't forget the spares! When you get it all done and trail-tested, let us know. I'm toying with the idea of going with 37's on my rig, but having a D44 (and lack of wheelbase) holds me back. If the D44 lives with your tires, it'll live with light 37's! When do you (realistically!) think you'll get 'er running?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
DevinB said:
Who am I thinking of then? Herzog? It's someone with a buggy on this board.

Like I said, I hope it works for you. Just don't forget the spares! When you get it all done and trail-tested, let us know. I'm toying with the idea of going with 37's on my rig, but having a D44 (and lack of wheelbase) holds me back. If the D44 lives with your tires, it'll live with light 37's! When do you (realistically!) think you'll get 'er running?

I think Herzog is still running a D44.

great scott

78mitsu said:
I've got the 44 for the front converted over to 5 on 5.5 and I'm in the process of building the wishbone for the front, You're dad stopped by on Sunday for a peek, he was drooling over the 40's. Do you know if he has ordered those heims yet?

I need to get back over there and see it in person again myself. Last I knew dad had not bought the heims yet, he's to cheep :D .

great scott

I ran a D44 with chrome shafts and ARB, for about 2 years with a mildly built 454 and 39.5" boggers. It did OK, I did break one ring gear and several u joints but that was a heavy truck and the driver had no concept of slow and steady :greg: .

78mitsu

great scott said:
I need to get back over there and see it in person again myself. Last I knew dad had not bought the heims yet, he's to cheep :D .

I got him the pricing level that my company gets. I'm not sure about the quality of the parts, I orderd some, they should be here tomorrow-Friday. If he wants to wait until next week to order, I can bring them over for him to see.