Truck shell storage from the ceiling question!

4554x4

always modifing something
Have any of you stored your truck shell or half top/jeep hardtop on a pulley system that pulls it up to the garage ceiling? I started to do one with a series of pulleys but came up with an epic FAIL!
If you have pics, drawings or diagrahms that would be awesome!
I just painted the dirty old Blazer and should'nt keep the top on it for awhile, and my wife would really like half of the garage for some strange reason.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Have any of you stored your truck shell or half top/jeep hardtop on a pulley system that pulls it up to the garage ceiling? I started to do one with a series of pulleys but came up with an epic FAIL!
If you have pics, drawings or diagrahms that would be awesome!
I just painted the dirty old Blazer and should'nt keep the top on it for awhile, and my wife would really like half of the garage for some strange reason.

I hung my old truck shell and just used some smallish chain around the shell. Attached both ends of that to a simple pulley and turnbuckle (?) to secure it. Worked pretty good honestly.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I just put 4 eye-bolts in the ceiling and then 2 boards with eye-bolts on the ends and use tie down straps (the cam style not the ratchet) to lift it up. It's not as elegant as other solutions but the weight is probably distributed better.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I just put 4 eye-bolts in the ceiling and then 2 boards with eye-bolts on the ends and use tie down straps (the cam style not the ratchet) to lift it up. It's not as elegant as other solutions but the weight is probably distributed better.

I did exactly this same thing, except I just hooked the straps under the shell rather than using boards. I actually like the board idea better than mine, but it worked while I did it. :)

Corban_White

I put the scout top up using a HF winch and some snatch blocks. I reinforced the joists in the attic and bolted some eye bolts into some spreader bars. The snatch blocks are hooked to these and the winch is bolted to the wall. I put 2 boards under the hardtop (one front and one rear running from left to right) and ran ropes from them up to the snatch blocks. I then made a clamp system to captivate the cable so that when the top was up I wasn't relying on the winch to hold it. This worked really well and is still working well to hold up things like my snowmobile while I work on it. I can snap some pics if you need.

Corban_White

Here are some pics I just snapped. I looked through all the ones I had and couldn't find any from when the top was up there. It was rigged about the same as the sled, just up higher. ;)

2011-11-20_16-31-12_555.jpg

2011-11-20_16-31-28_447.jpg

2011-11-20_16-31-51_906.jpg

2011-11-20_16-32-10_615.jpg

2011-11-20_16-32-19_503.jpg

2011-11-20_16-32-53_307.jpg

2011-11-20_16-33-01_264.jpg

2011-11-20_16-33-30_33.jpg

Just back the scout in, hook up the jumper cables and go. :D