Tube bender anyone?

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
I'm looking to borrow a tube bender for a day or maybe be able to come over and use one. I want to bend some sliders and a rear bumper so me and "The Myth" can weld them together. I am in Orem so let me know who has what, that they would be willing to lend for a day or so. Thanks guys

Hey Greg What is HREW ? Were probably just goin gto use DOM 2 1/2 tube maybe even smaller. We were thinking about buying a Harbor freight POS but i heard they kinked the tube rather thean bend it. The smalles bend my bender will do isa 3 foot radius great for boat and airplanes but sucks for cars.

Caleb

HREW is another process, it mean Hot Rolled Electric Welded...usually it is not as close of tolerances as the DOM is... 2.5" diam tube:eek: two things...that is gonna be hella expensive and good luck finding a bender (short of an exhaust bender) to bend it (most benders will only accept dies upto 2" unless you get a very expensive bender...and I echo what Greg said, good luck borrowing a bender...

All right maybe 1 inch or 1 1/2. WOuld anyone be willing to do some bending work then ? Not alot of cash in this project (that why were making it not buying the stuff). If anyone wants to help out some broke colledge guys trying to wheel let me know.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I know SukaB will make bends for you pretty cheap. you should PM him. His number is also posted on this board somewhere.

They guys at rocklogic are also equipped to do bending. You might try giving them a call as well.

Joel

If's it's just bumpers and sliders, buy the HF bender and some PIPE Sched 40 or 80...depends on how much weight you want to add...and bend away. I just wouldn't use the HF bender for Tube of for a cage;)

jrussell3176

Originally posted by Joel
If's it's just bumpers and sliders, buy the HF bender and some PIPE Sched 40 or 80...depends on how much weight you want to add...and bend away. I just wouldn't use the HF bender for Tube of for a cage;)

That Harbor Frieght bender is a POS! I've tried bending every type of Sch40 and it kinks everything excpept the galvanized Sch40...but not the stuff with a shiny finish. It will only bend the galv. Sch40 with a dull finish and I've only been able to find that stuff used. I can tell you for sure that Wasatch Steel doesn't have any left. Even to bend that stuff without kinking you need to lay a small weld bead on each side of the shoe/die, then grind it down till it fits super tight.

Joel

Originally posted by jrussell3176

That Harbor Frieght bender is a POS! I've tried bending every type of Sch40 and it kinks everything excpept the galvanized Sch40...but not the stuff with a shiny finish. It will only bend the galv. Sch40 with a dull finish and I've only been able to find that stuff used. I can tell you for sure that Wasatch Steel doesn't have any left. Even to bend that stuff without kinking you need to lay a small weld bead on each side of the shoe/die, then grind it down till it fits super tight.

Hmmm, I've never had any issues with mine...but then again, I hardy use it. Where are you setting the guide rollers at?

jrussell3176

Hmmm, I've never had any issues with mine...but then again, I hardy use it. Where are you setting the guide rollers at?

I've tried all the positions, but found that the 2nd or 3rd hole from the outside works best. It will bend a 20 or 30* angle fine, but won't even come close to a 90* without kinking it, unless it's the dull galv. stuff.

Joel

I dunno why you're having the issues and I'm not...We used mine to make 90º for my buddies tube fenders several years ago...and I have since used it for 1" pipe to mock up things or make handles, etc. But I use a Tube bender for everything else so it doesn't get a lot of use anymore.

jrussell3176

I dunno why you're having the issues and I'm not...We used mine to make 90º for my buddies tube fenders several years ago...and I have since used it for 1" pipe to mock up things or make handles, etc. But I use a Tube bender for everything else so it doesn't get a lot of use anymore.

Mine works OK on anything smaller than 1 5/8" Sch40, but not the bigger stuff. Also, maybe you unknowingly used the same galv pipe I was talking about and kinda got lucky.

jrussell3176

Originally posted by ShortShaft
Dirty Ben over at MEPCO does wonders on the bender. There is a cage in their showroom that he did.... Give them a call. 266.3726

Thanks for the info, but I've got a buddy who works at Factory Tubular and fabs cages for them. If I could afford it, I would use them instead of building my own.:D

Originally posted by jrussell3176

Thanks for the info, but I've got a buddy who works at Factory Tubular and fabs cages for them. If I could afford it, I would use them instead of building my own.:D

If he's a buddy that's alright I guess. Otherwise I wouldn't let somebody pay me to deal with them.