Tube fender questions

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
I know a guy in Colorado that just put some tube fenders on his JK. He has 37" Goodyear MTR tires on AEV beadlocks.

The tube fenders don't even come close to covering the tires.

The questions are....... Could that be a problem for him in Moab?

Do the police (or Highway Patrol) in Moab stop vehicles from out of state that don't comply with Utah law?

Does anybody know what the fine is and whether the vehicle could be impounded for the violation?

Thanks.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Thanks for the responses.

Nobody else here has been pulled over in Moab for equipment violations? That's somehow.......... surprising. :rofl:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Quick search:

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=42532&highlight=pulled+moab

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=33052&highlight=pulled+moab

Basicly it boils down to this. If the cop is a Moab local, usually they'll let you off. UHP, they won't. Exceptions abound on both sides. Out of state folks can technically "fight" a ticket to prove that their vehicle conforms to their states laws. Technically that SHOULD be legal on Utah roads/highways, but may or not be interpreted that way. From what I know, there is NOT a legal precedent set in this specific case. Usually people from out of state just pay a $50 fine rather than appear in court in Moab when they're not there any longer.

My opinion: I'd bet he's OK, but if he does get pulled over and ticketed, he MIGHT get to pay a fine. I'd assume it would depend on the officer and the behavior of the person getting pulled over.

jdub

Scrambler
I guess I have an attitude when I get pulled. I asked when he walked up, "Well I wasn't speeding so what could this be about?" He looked over my jeep and hassled me for having large tires (35's) and no mudflaps. I wondered how he saw that I needed them in the dark at 70mph, and he saw it coming so he cut out with a lame "you should" and hopped in his car and pulled someone else over.

While I was technically illegal. but he was bored.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I have lived in Moab for over 10 years, and for most of that time my fenders have not covered my tires. For the last 3 years, they have only covered 50%. I have never been pulled over, and I average 50+ trail days per year. But then, I at least have some tire coverage, I always put on my mudflaps, and I don't do anything stupid. Then again, my wife got pulled over last EJS for no mudflaps (she had them behind the seat, just forgot to put them on). No ticket for that, but she did get a fix-it ticket for no rear side-marker lights. Go figure.

Most of the year, he will probably be all right, but during EJS could be a problem. Of course, anything less than 100% tire coverage is illegal in Utah, so he could be pulled over at any time.

rholbrook

When going from trail to street pull over and check your tires for rocks stuck in the tread. When you get pulled over, check your attitude back on the trail as well. Mention that you are not aware of the Utah laws but that you in deed checked your tires for rocks for safety for all. I have several cop friends and their first test is the attitude test. Give them some attitude and you will be paying the fine, show them some respect and you will drive away with an increased knowledge of the laws of Utah and a warning. If that fails, cry, it always worked for my sister, my daughter and my wife.