Tuberculosis

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Every year, tuberculosis (TB) — a life-threatening infection that primarily affects the lungs — kills nearly 2 million people worldwide. Experts at the World Health Organization (WHO) predict these numbers will escalate in coming decades. Approximately 2 billion people — one-third of the human population — are currently infected with TB, with one new infection occurring every second.

TB has plagued human beings for millennia. Signs of tubercular damage have been found in Egyptian mummies and in bones dating back at least 5,000 years. Today, despite advances in treatment, TB is a global pandemic, fueled by the spread of HIV/AIDS, poverty, a lack of health services and the emergence of drug-resistant strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium that causes the disease.

TB spreads through airborne droplets when a person with the infection coughs, talks or sneezes. In general, you need prolonged exposure to an infected person before becoming infected yourself. Even then, you may not develop symptoms of the disease. Although your body harbors the TB bacteria, your immune system often can prevent you from becoming sick. For that reason, doctors make a distinction between:

TB infection. This condition causes no symptoms and isn't contagious.
Active TB. This condition makes you sick and can spread to others.

If left untreated, active TB can be fatal. With proper care, however, most cases of TB can be treated, even those resistant to the drugs commonly used against the disease. Unfortunately, the world's poor — those most likely to have TB — are also the least likely to receive adequate medical care.

V-DAWG

someday
So, besides making people fear they have TB, is there a point to this post?

The TB test is the one where they make that cute little bump under your skin, and if it swells up you have been exposed. Even exposure doesn't mean you are infected. They then do chest x-rays to see the extent of the exposure.

V-DAWG

someday
What are some of the dangers associated with DHMO?
Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are: Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
Contributes to soil erosion.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

DHMO is far more prevalent than TB, I think we need to focus on the dangers of it. This chemical is injested every day, but it is highly deadly in many ways beside injestion alone. See link below:
http://www.dhmo.org/

?JMAMA

Formerly YJMAMA
I give people TB tests all day long. It is cool to see that bubble form. If you get a reaction you have to get a chest x-ray. If anything shows up there are some meds they can put you on to help prevent an active infection.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Ohms said:
Instead of the tests....just give Milfner's new pets the actual thing....stupid ducks and whatever else he comes up with..

Well your just mean :D

All this death and illness....I am just trying to bring a smile to people, and look what I get :p

Last edited:

embabe

My own epidemic!
I'm kinda confused... why are we talking about TB anyway? :confused: It's a nasty disease, and I hope none of you have it and that none of you get it! Although... I do have a couple of friends that are allergic to the serum they inject to do the test, so they end up with huge red bumps all over their forearms!

Turbobob

Semper Fi
V-DAWG said:
What are some of the dangers associated with DHMO?
Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are: Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
Contributes to soil erosion.
Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

DHMO is far more prevalent than TB, I think we need to focus on the dangers of it. This chemical is injested every day, but it is highly deadly in many ways beside injestion alone. See link below:
http://www.dhmo.org/

:rofl: Yep, it is colorless, odorless, if you breath it, you will die, but you can't live without it!!