tubing ?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by Mepco 4x4
I prefer 1.75 OD X 1.5 ID X .120 wall DOM for cages.

I agree, the 1.75" .120 wall DOM is a popular choice among cage builders. Of course, 1.5" and 2" have their place, but used less. This is what I've found anyway.

grinch

inner city redneck
Im using 1.75 120 wall for my main cage and 1.5 90 wall for all the spreaders, gussets, non safty bars... you save like 3 pounds a foot with the smaller thinner stuff..... and its still strong as hell if set up right.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
3 pounds a foot? I don't have a scale handy, but I just can't believe that. Anybody got a foot of 1.75 .120 wall handy that they can weigh to see if it even weighs three pounds? Maybe that statement was not meant to be taken literally and I'm just an idiot...:confused:

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by RockMonkey
3 pounds a foot? I don't have a scale handy, but I just can't believe that. Anybody got a foot of 1.75 .120 wall handy that they can weigh to see if it even weighs three pounds? Maybe that statement was not meant to be taken literally and I'm just an idiot...:confused:

1.75 .120 DOM, 2.089 lb/ft
1.5 .095 DOM, 1.426 lb/ft

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I think whats wierd is that circle track racers use .065 dom. Its regulations. I think it's because they use so many tubes that it is ok for them at 110mph. But us at 2mph use twice as thick? kinda wierd

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Greg
..You want the Tube to fold and absorb the impact.
'
Very true, the design of race cars is to absorb the impact as much as possible while protecting the driver. 4x4 rigs need only to protect the driver at slow speeds.. then they can roll it back over and try again. You could probably get away with smaller stuff but it may only last one roll... not worth tht weight savings IMHO...:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
that is true, a driver chrashes and it's a totaled car. pull parts and rebuild. we don't have the funds or the time to just pull and rebuild. but safety aspects are all about the same, just on different scales.