turbo+carb

Rabidray

i think i want to ask this here first.......but does anyone know how too do a turbo setup with a carb........nagging little q?,s like where do you get vacume from too run vac advance on the disty and power brakes....can you run an inter cooler.......could i just biuld a box around the carb.......or could the carb just be placed on the intake side of the turbo......this would be a good place too get vacume from but fuel air mix would be going through the turbo......

i do not have too worry about emisions we dont have any sort of testing in indiana.......

my reason for wanting the turbo would be for driveing in the mountains{yes i am aware that there are no mountains in indiana} i would want just enough boost to compensate for the altitude{make the zuk highway driveable at altitude}...

my plan is too drive it {someday} to as many of the great place,s the west has too offer over a 2 to 4 week period.......that would mean i would have to cover several thousand miles{utah colorado arizona california new mexico}........

a turbo or super charger would be the way to but super chargers are way spendy but i think i could rig a turbo and do it fairly cheap.......

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The way it is done is to build a box around the carb. It is not just a matter of putting a turbo on though. The carb would have to be modified and I am not sure it can even be done to a sami carb. There have been a few articles over the last year in both car craft and Hotrod magazines on turbo charging carbed engines. You should go to your library and read them.

The entire carb has to be pressurized so air doesn't try to force itse'f out the butterfly centerpin holes and such. All the jets and such have to be changed too, it's not a slap on job.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
crimsonride said:
The entire carb has to be pressurized so air doesn't try to force itse'f out the butterfly centerpin holes and such. All the jets and such have to be changed too, it's not a slap on job.

YEAH, well plumbing the turbo wouldn't be a "slap on" job either....I think he probably realizes that though. As far as running a turbo on a chevy with a holley it is quite simple...If a zuk carb has similiar bowl vents, it probably wouldn't be too hard. I will take a look next time i am at Spencurais house. B

Hmmmmm, interesting. You can sometimes find turbos in cars at junkyards. Maybe you could make this work. Maybe you could use some kind of exhaust tube to rout it. I wonder if your crank and bearings could take the extra power?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
crimsonride said:
Hmmmmm, interesting. I wonder if your crank and bearings could take the extra power?

This is what I would be worried about.....the zuk bottom ends are notoriously weak to begin with....now maybe if you swapped to a 16 valve motor.... :-\

Paul R

BBowski82 said:
This is what I would be worried about.....the zuk bottom ends are notoriously weak to begin with....now maybe if you swapped to a 16 valve motor.... :-\

If you are going to swap engines, you should make it an engine worth while.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
crimsonride said:
Yeah, then you defeat the purpose of turbo-ing it. So in other words. Just get a new engine and run it NA.

Wanna know what would be a kick ass swap into a Sami? A turbo-charged 2.3 Ford Pinto motor. We had one in a sandrail back in AZ, and boy did it get after it....

Rabidray

13 b swift bottom end

i have a 13b swift bottom end with forged crank.......i think with a 1.6 8v head to drop the c/r i would be fine .....i dont have all the spec,s but i do know that the 1.6 head has a larger cumbustion chamber than the 1.3 and that the 1.3 is combustion chamber is larger than the twin cam 16 v swift head.......

as for turbo,s i can get several from a local junk yard for 30.00 bucks apeice....

i have thought about just spliceing what ever manifold the turbo comes with to either a 1.6 or a 1.3 manifold.........just cut and weld.........like i said im not after fire breathing performance i just want the motor to run well at altitude.....

all i think i would need would be between 5 and 9 pounds of boost......granted at sea level i would see some small ammount of h/p increase :D but my goal is just to have just enough boost to make the motor think its at sea level even at 10.000 feet.......most of the stuff i did in az was between 4 and 6 thousand feet........but there are a few places that the gps told me were over 9 thousand feet.............

but if i go with a bonnet around the carb i still have to get vacume from some place........i was thinking maybe at the mouth of the turbo but this would only work when it is makeing quite a bit of boost...........

i will have too come up with a way to use both the carb and the turbo.....some thing like a check valve so that when the manild is under pressure it closes and draws off the front of the turbo......so what do you guys think

Paul R

So what you are trying to say is your upgrading from hampster to gerbil power and feeding them a high energy diet? :D

Rabidray said:
but if i go with a bonnet around the carb i still have to get vacume from some place........i was thinking maybe at the mouth of the turbo but this would only work when it is makeing quite a bit of boost...........

I don't see you getting vacume when the turbo is making boost, more like when it's lagging, that's when you're going to have vacume. If you've got 5 psi during boost that's positive pressure, not vacume.

Rabidray

yes

on the front side of the pump at 5 psi you could draw vacume i think....

if it is drawing air in it should also be able to create vacume.....i have not had an oppurtunity too take a close look at how the turbo motors get vacume ....

but i beleive the front side of the pump would do it.............................

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Pre '84 (ish---don't remember the cut off date) Buick Regal's had Quadrajet carbs. Might be another source for good information......There's lots of info on Turbo Buicks out there. Watch it though, a intercooled, injected 3.8 can be kind of addictive in almost the same way as a big block can.......

sublyme89

My bro new a guy in Orem, UT that turboed a carbed sami . I belive his username is superunner, PM, or email him see if he remembers who it was. He also might know more about it since I think he did work on it. IF I remeber right it didn't do much, just enough to make it tolerable to drive. So yes it can be done

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Rabidray said:

if it is drawing air in it should also be able to create vacume.....i have not had an oppurtunity too take a close look at how the turbo motors get vacume ....

but i beleive the front side of the pump would do it.............................

That will not work at all. The last thing you ever want is vacume at the turbo inlet. Air filter maintenence is very important with turbos.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Rabidray said:

You should have no problem pulling vacuum off of your carb....any venturi is going to create a vacuum on one side due to the air rushing past it....otherwise how would factory cars have vacuum wastegates?

Of course, you could always run a suck through setup instead of a blow through setup (as long as the turbo you get has the seals that are fuel compatible...) only draw back is no intercooler option...which i don't think you want anyhow.,..

Last edited:

Rabidray

what is the truth

i work in a tool store that happens to be in a truck stop so i get too talk to a lot of different people...
i had one guy telling me tonight that the basic rule of thumb regauding boost levels is that at 10 psi your h/p is doubled i find this a little hard too swallow.....

some of the stuff i have read about super chargers {in kit form for the sammy}is that it would boost h/p by 25% which i could beleive......

so for those who know please enlighten me as to the truth of the 10 psi rule that this guy was talking about...................