Turbo sami

cheapzuk

I am able to get my hands on a turbo that I could adapt to work with my sami. Do you think that the 1.3 would hold up to the extra pressure of a turbo? Also, would i gain noticible power to justifiy all of the work?

the stud boy

http://utahclassicbroncos
Do you plan to run 5000 rpm up a trail or rock?
But if your going to do it is it a sealed oil or a watter cooled turbo ? oil sealed would be the best !
So you can have more room then running water line all over and radiator bulking space !
Pressure hold up I am not sure about try A.T.S in sandy they did my 56 oval vw bug.

shmoesmith

yes the samurai engine can hold up to it..as a matter of fact there is actually a supercharger that is built specific to the samurai..if you can get your hands on the turbo, go for it because the supercharger for the samurai is like $2,000

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I am not sure if the zuk motor could take a lot of boost....maybe 8-10PSI but it is not a revving motor...if you want something stout go for the 1.6 16v. It has a better bottom end and better flow characteristics in the head. You would have to have some programming done on the ECM for it to handle the excess air-mass but it would work.....

putting a turbo on a samurai motor is a bit of a turd polish if you ask me. Drop in a 4.3 with a syclone turbo setup.... :ugh: :eek: :eek: :rofl: :rofl:

jp008

The 1.3 is NOT a reving motor????????????

Hmmmm I better get my tach recalibrated.

FYI,
I can easily do 8 grand and hold it there :eek: with NO worries of parts flying. I regularly shift at 7000 rpm. When I passed you on I-15 (during one of the RS runs) I was running 5600 rpm and ran that way all the way home. It's been doing that for 3 years now.
I shift my wifes sami at 6 grand and run it around 4500 on the freeway.
I know a guy that runs his at 10,000 all the time with no worries. I think it would be safe to say that a sami engine WILL take the R's.
My $.02.

Hey Cheap,
Here is a link to some turbo info.......look at the bottom of the page.
http://rz-products.com/wayne/updates/updates.html

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
All I have to say is good luck routing everything, the 1.3 is one of the few motors out there that has the exaust and intake on entierly diffrent sides of the block. imo, I'd do a super, its just a lot less headache to implement.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
hey jim...you always win a race against someone who isn't racing back huh..... :rolleyes:

I routinely kick corvettes asses in my ford econoline work van :eek:

jp008

spencurai said:
hey jim...you always win a race against someone who isn't racing back huh..... :rolleyes:

I routinely kick corvettes asses in my ford econoline work van :eek:

Ummmmmm OK??????????????????
I am truely impressed :sick:

And to stay ON TOPIC.

Did that link help you out Cheap? If you need any questions answered you can contact Wayne (the guy that has that sight) he is very good and knows what he is talking about.

cheapzuk

Yea, that was alot of good info. I don't want to go a super because I can get the turbo for really cheap. I don't know if I want to go through all the fab work because I eventually want to swap in a deisel. But If it will gain me considerable power than I am all for it.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
cheapzuk said:
Yea, that was alot of good info. I don't want to go a super because I can get the turbo for really cheap. I don't know if I want to go through all the fab work because I eventually want to swap in a deisel. But If it will gain me considerable power than I am all for it.

considerable power...and samurai 1.3s should not be used in the same topic.

bb88

New Title
I just gotta say this, If I wanted any advise about the 1.3. I would trust Jim's (jp008) word. Or any thing else when it comes to Sami's for that matter. I know it's not about "racing" but I would put his non-reving (8000rpm ;) )1.3 Sami up against just about any other Sami (ok not 4.3 or 350 powered ones) He "routinely" kicks my 1.6, 16 valves @ss. I'm just saying, Jim know his shtuff when it comes to zuk's!!

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
I run 5500 when on the freeway. Man if I had a turbo at that RPM I would be flyin. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
shmoesmith said:
yes the samurai engine can hold up to it..as a matter of fact there is actually a supercharger that is built specific to the samurai..if you can get your hands on the turbo, go for it because the supercharger for the samurai is like $2,000

A new supercharger kit for 2k is actually a REALLY good deal. I don't think you could touch a well set up Turbo for that.

Just my 2 cents. :)

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Out of curiousity where are you getting the turbo? And do they have another one? I am considering doing the same thing to my 4.3 Vortec. I have a buddy with a Turbo shop but he is having a hard time finding a decent price for me. Does it come with an intercooler and all necessary plumbing?

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
cheapzuk said:
There is nothing wrong with that. I mean, look what I drive :D

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with turbocharging... I mean I wouldn't mind doing it to my Jeep, well... maybe....

But you know how it is extremely "cool" to supercharge your rice burner right! That's what I'm refering to!

Good Luck! :)