Turboing a 4.0????

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hey since we're thinking outside of the box, I have an exhaust manifold for a 5.2 v8 you can have for free. It allows more airflow so it should bolt up with some minor mods and help spool up that turbo you have a lot faster.

let me know.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
just trying to illustrate the difference between ingenuity and stupidity. I'm glad to hear you're actually looking for a turbo that might have a chance of working correctly.

Besides, I can almost guarantee that someone in my neighborhood has already tried to JB weld and duct tape a random turbo onto some POS gutless motor. They use particle board for spoilers, it's about the same degree of rediculousness.

To be honest, I agree with the SBC guys. You could pick up an injected 350 for pretty cheap and drop that in and have a pretty unique rig with much more power and reliability than the turbo'd 4.0. It would also be torque at levels that would be practical for a trail rig.

and the beautiful caveat......no more 4 liter dust eater. now thats worth something.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
im not searching for more torque, im looking for more mid to topend. this is my DD so thats where i need more power, and a turboed 4.0 is alot more unique than a SBC swap:greg:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
ya. thats true. a 4.0 that didn't suck at absolutely everything would be unique.

I'll go with reliability, power, and simplicity though for my rig.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Hey since we're thinking outside of the box, I have an exhaust manifold for a 5.2 v8 you can have for free. It allows more airflow so it should bolt up with some minor mods and help spool up that turbo you have a lot faster.

let me know.

Yep, like adding some runners. No problem. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Has anyone ever used Kenne Bells "Boost-a-Pump" system?

http://kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

im thinking about useing this for my FMU.

No, and don't. Fuel injectors are designed to work at a certain amount of pressure, lowering that pressure will cause them not to function properly and you will lose the 'spray' effect.

Keep your system always at 49 psi, which it should be now, unless you change injectors that were designed for less or whatever.

78mitsu

You'd be better off switching to larger injectors, the fms will be able to adjust pulse width and duration to still give you a good fuel curve, but still be able to have the additional fuel.

But... I wouldn't spend any money on a 4.0, it's not a bad motor, but it was built for longevity and bottom end torque, not to be sc/tc. a 350 or 4.3 vortec, maybe a 5.0 ford, Evena HEMI, you'll get more and better power by switching to a v-8 then you'll ever get out of that 4.0.

I did some quick google-fu, according to JP magazine the best you can expect is 214HP and 281lb' of tq, a 5.3L chevy with no power mods makes 305Hp and 335lb'tq, couple mods, tune the electronics and you're 325 hp and 355lb'tq. It may not be as unique, but it is better.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
i was planning on using both bigger injectors and a way to increase fuel during boost, so thats y i need a FMU. Hesco makes a kit that JP used but its like 600 bucks and this Kenne Bell kit is what they use on there super charger kits

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
i was planning on using both bigger injectors and a way to increase fuel during boost, so thats y i need a FMU. Hesco makes a kit that JP used but its like 600 bucks and this Kenne Bell kit is what they use on there super charger kits

On an electrically fuel injected engine, there is no need to change pressure and volume of fuel. The injectors can do that all simply by changing their dwell timing. (time they are on/off). If you do it manually, then you are either defeating the purpose of having a closed loop system or will run it lean and burn it up.

Bottom line, leave it alone. You're trying to make more HP the wrong way. REGARDLESS of what you do external to the motor, (turbo, supercharger, etc.) a motor still requires the correct amount of air/fuel ratio - period.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I am going to use 8 of these on my cadillac...well maybe I should use just one!
KKKsmallturbo.jpg

Why haven't we figured out how to bolt that on to the V-star or the Roadliner? You ought to have some more horse power to balance out those torque numbers. :ugh:

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
On an electrically fuel injected engine, there is no need to change pressure and volume of fuel. The injectors can do that all simply by changing their dwell timing. (time they are on/off). If you do it manually, then you are either defeating the purpose of having a closed loop system or will run it lean and burn it up.

Bottom line, leave it alone. You're trying to make more HP the wrong way. REGARDLESS of what you do external to the motor, (turbo, supercharger, etc.) a motor still requires the correct amount of air/fuel ratio - period.

so u think i just need to use bigger injectors?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
so u think i just need to use bigger injectors?

I think you should make it run first. After that, then you can add bigger injectors if you are running the motor lean.

Here's a formula to give you an answer on what size injector you should have
Injector size (lb/hr) = (horsepower x 0.5)/(no.of cylinders x 0.8)

The .5 is efficiency. If you konw what it is, put your number there. If not, .5 is a good number.

The .8 is the max duty cycle of the injector. Don't push injectors over 80%.

If you plug your injectors in (23 lb/hr) their roughly good for 220 HP.