U Bolt Eliminator??

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
Ok so while i was in moab i seen this badass blazer on 44's. in the back where like one inch plates underneath the springs, on a 14ff, that he ran straight bolts through the upper plates into. has anyone seen these or know where to buy some or was it just some custom fab that i need to do myself. (i was kinda thinking about building them myself but i wanted to see a better picture instead of my semi-cloudy beer memory)

any ideas thanks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I kinda like the 'safety' factor of U-bolts. If your spring perch weld were to fail (how that would happen, I'm not sure), the U-bolts would still hold the axle to the spring due to the 'clamping' action--it might be loose, but you could at least get things under control.....

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I've seen them before on Curt Hildebrand's comp rig before he went buggy, his old greenish YJ. They seem to be pretty nice and plenty strong. I have no idea where to get them though, sorry.
Devin

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
you can make your own stuff for that but the u0bolts always seem to be a little bit safer to me. the regular bolts are nice because you can go graded 5 or 8 but the springy nature of the u-bolts would seem to be able to take the abuse a little easier.

I have thought of doing this many times on spring overs but for some reason I keep on going back to the ole reliables!!

V-DAWG

someday
mbryson said:
I kinda like the 'safety' factor of U-bolts. If your spring perch weld were to fail (how that would happen, I'm not sure), the U-bolts would still hold the axle to the spring due to the 'clamping' action--it might be loose, but you could at least get things under control.....

I do not see how the sandwich effect of having a plate on top and bottom would be any different than what you are saying. If the weld on the perch fails, it would still be bolted on to the perch on top of the spring, and the clamping effect would still allow "things to be under control."

Edit: I see now, I was thinking everyone had spring under, which obviously isn't the case since I don't either. I would just use U-bolts. They are cheap, and have proved themselves over and over again. Just carry a spare set.

Last edited:

Klif01

Do I bother you?
I used to have it front and rear on my 3300lb 4runner.

I broke a grade 8 bolt on the rear (I think this was my fault though either the bolts were too small for the hole, or I had let them get a bit too loose)

Anyway I put a different rear axle and just went to u-bolts.

I still run it on the front, but when building your own stuf, I found its hard to get the holes to line up.

Coreyperez was the one who made the original ones on my front axle, but I changed it to put bigger bolts in.

If I were to do it again, I would rather use just u-bolts, to me I feel safer!

f7dd3d93.jpg

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Klif01 said:
I used to have it front and rear on my 3300lb 4runner.

I broke a grade 8 bolt on the rear (I think this was my fault though either the bolts were too small for the hole, or I had let them get a bit too loose)

Anyway I put a different rear axle and just went to u-bolts.

I still run it on the front, but when building your own stuf, I found its hard to get the holes to line up.

Coreyperez was the one who made the original ones on my front axle, but I changed it to put bigger bolts in.

If I were to do it again, I would rather use just u-bolts, to me I feel safer!

f7dd3d93.jpg

What holds the plate to the perch? Is it welded? I hope not by the same guy that welded the shock mount.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Nope, I welded the plate to the axle, the shock mount was there when I got the housing, Besides, you think I would actually take claim to a booger like that. I'm glad I have a nice clean housing now!

Anyway thats another reason I don't like it, sure I am positive that the welds will hold because we did some extra spring perch bracing at the same time, its just the u-bolts go AROUND the axle!