U-joint question

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I've only wheeled my jeep a couple times with the 35's on it and I've already blown 2 760 joints up front. I'm running alloy moser inners and non alloy outer stubs that don't accept a full-circlip.

I may try and get one more trip out of them before I put the CTM's and new shafts in...

So here's my question....

Is it ok to file the ledge off the stub shaft so I can put a full-circlip on it?

Or should I just screw that idea and tack weld the caps on to the stub shaft ears?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
what axle are you running a d-44?? i think they only make CTM's for 44's and 60's. sounds like you have a case of the heavy foot if you are breaking u-joints. to be honest i have no idea what vehicle you run. please elaborate.

i dont think it would be bad to grind a "LITTLE" off to make the full clip work. just dont get out of hand and dont get it too hot like glowing red. tack welding caps has been done before. just make sure you grease them really well because the heat from the tack will send the grease-a-flowin'

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have seen tacked caps hold up quite well with much abuse. Its probably easier in the long run to get a Circlip on, especially if you have to change a U Joint on the trail.

Jam76

Tack weld them and be done with it scew the clips. I have seen some people who weld them completely all the way around and hold up to some major abuse also. A guy who goes by DRM on pirate offroad did a write up on welding caps on his Dana 44.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Yeah, I guess I'll just give them a little tack tack before I head out. It's a RC 44 with an ARB. It's stuffed under a poser grocery getter with a V8 that has been tweaked a bit to push some decent horses and torque. That along with some low gearz tops it off.

I don't have that heavy of a foot, but I had some peer pressure running Pritchett since the Currie TJ and some other crazy rigs were running it with us that day. I tried all the same lines the rigs did and my front end failed. Oh well...at least I had spares.

I'll have the CTM's in within a week or so, but I won't have them for this weekend.

It sucks when you're on 35's with a 60 and a 44 and you're the lightweight in the group :)