U of U Medical Record backup tapes found...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3667432

Not sure why they are waiting to give a conference about it until tomorrow.

Good they found them. I hope it was all intact.

(KSL News) The stolen medical billing records of an estimated 1.5 million University of Utah Medical Center patients have been found.

Lt. Paul Jaroscak of the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Department confirmed for Eyewitness News that the records have been recovered, but said no more information will be given until a news conference scheduled for tomorrow at 1 p.m.

Last month, the University announced that backup tapes of records had been stolen, and that they contained private information from 1.5 million patients. More than 950,000 of the records included social security numbers.

The University Medical Center has just spent half a million dollars to send letters to patients involved.

Lt. Jaroscak says no arrests have been made, but an investigation is moving forward, and many details will be revealed at tomorrow's news conference.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I doubt they were. :mad:

We got our letter, that was nice-- haven't used the U in about..... 8yrs? so now I get to worry for 8 more. :D wait, no-- :(

Brett

Meat-Hippy
From everyone I know that works at the U, they've all been told the tapes were encrypted. I also hope those two dumb ass lawsuits get dropped ASAP or I'm going to go around knocking heads.

Dumbasses wanting to make a quick buck when nothing happened to them.

JoeT

I got 4 letters from the U on this. My wifes medical records is probably a 6ft high stack from the U. It's nice that those files were recovered, worried about if Angie's info was accessed. For some reason I have no sympathy for the U on this.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I got the letter and the free credit watch stuff.. Glad the stuff was found and I think that the U took appropriate steps to cover people.. it was the delivery peoples fault not the U's

krazz1e

you don't have to worry. This data is on computer backup tapes which require specialized equipment to even read them. It's not like a CD or DVD. This equipment costs ten to hundreds of thousands of dollars, and you can't just take it to a computer shop and ask them to extract it, they most likely won't have the equipment either, if they did they would see the content anyway.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was hoping they would be smart enough to encrypt the tapes... but of course the news organizations wouldn't tell you that. But then again what's news without fear mongering?