U.S.A. military

YOUKNOW

So I know there are a few of you on here that are part of our nations military. I have done a ton of research on the web to see what others think, and how the military operates but wanted a real life experience. What are your personal pros and cons to joining and staying in for 20(or longer) years. How long are you stationed at a particular base(1-3 yrs?)? What is base housing like? I am currently thinking of joining the Navy because they are currently offering scholarships for pharmacy students. I do not want to take the recruiters word for my decision. I know that everything coming from his mouth is great, but I want the real deal. I want to know what I am getting into with my family. If you know any military pharmacists who would be willing to speak to me, I would greatly appreciate that! Any experiences would be highly valued. If you would feel more comfortable, PM me.

Chuck

richpblaze

Recruiters lie, bottom line It would be best to join as an officer first off. If that's possible make sure everything is in writing as far as schooling and that goes. Take your time read everything.

rondo

rondo
I'm an old army Soldier but i have an opinion on everything, especially the navy haha

Pros and cons to staying 20 years. For one, you can expect retirement income starting at 20 years when you retire. that means if you retire from the navy at age 40++, you will draw retirement pay until death. You can set it up for your spouse to draw it if anything happens to you. Depending on your rank enlisted or officer, the return on investment is substantial. This will seem simplistic, but it's all notional anyway. To be a pharmicist, you will need a long education which translates to a commission. I don't see them keeping you enlisted with a pharm D. If you retire at 20 years at the rank of Commander, I could see you drawing $4000+ a month in retirement pay. How much money do you need in the bank, 401K, Roth IRA to get you the same income? I don't know, ask your financial advisor (far worse scum than a recruiter) or your bartender or accountant. I would guess you are pushing a million bones to equal pay and health care benefits for life. So in a sense, a military retirement is like retiring a millionaire. But you don't have principle to dip into. (Sorry kids, nothing to leave you when i pass so go work like everyone else.)

There are many in congress who feel this entitlement is wrong, since other professions don't get to retire immediately with pay after 20 years. (they are not talking about themselves). Not going to say firefighters and police officers don't deserve their pay, THEY DO, but here's the kicker. Military duty is DANGEROUS! You are floating on, flying in, and driving equipment made by the lowest bidder. Oh not to mention 90% of the world hates you, including (pathetically) far too many americans.

Go see a Navy ROTC recruiter to discuss how to get in as a pharmicist. he will probably tell you to have a 3.99999 GPA, be physically overfit, have at least one of the Huntsmans as a friend, etc but it can be done.

Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot make your dreams come true. Go find a way to make it happen.

Last edited:

YOUKNOW

Thank you for the responses so far. I am currently enrolled in pharmacy school, and I have confirmed that I will enter in as an officer. rondo, What was life like on the base? How often did you have to move? How was your family with all of the moves?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
A family's ability to adapt to military life all depends on the emotional and social abilities they have when it comes to coping with changes. I loved change and found it as an opportunity for a new adventure, but not everyone likes change. As a pharmacist you will likely stay put for awhile at each duty station and have a pretty laid back environment.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Can't really speak for assignments in the Navy but I have been in the Air Force for ten years now so I can speak for that. Overseas tours are controlled at two years minimum if you are single three years minimum if you are married or have children. Stateside works a little different I know people that have been stationed in Utah active duty for 11+ years and people who left after 9 months.

Base housing is good and bad at the same time. If it is military run housing it tends to be not so great but the Privatized Military housing on base at Hill is really nice. I moved into one of the old houses first and later moved into a brand new house which I still really miss. It's a lot like living in a strict HOA.

I'm on my third base in ten years and 5th deployment right now, three of those deployments have been in the last five years. So deployed life really sucks and it sucks leaving my family all the time but in my mind the benefits out weigh the downsides for me everyday.

Free medical for my family and I know I will get my retirement and start collecting it in ten years. There are a lot of people trying to change the retirement right now but they have been pushing to change it since long before I joined.

I will say that in the last 10 years the Military life has changed a lot. I've seen a lot of great people come and go and a lot of disrespectful douches hang out and ride it out as long as they can.

Sometimes it is really difficult to deal with all the B.S. I have to put up with but I have to remind my self I'm half way there. When I am done with this enlistment I will be at 12 years and I can't possibly quit now and waste the past 10 years of my life let alone the 12 years it will be when I get to make that choice again.

YOUKNOW

Free medical for my family and I know I will get my retirement and start collecting it in ten years. There are a lot of people trying to change the retirement right now but they have been pushing to change it since long before I joined.

I will say that in the last 10 years the Military life has changed a lot. I've seen a lot of great people come and go and a lot of disrespectful douches hang out and ride it out as long as they can.

Sometimes it is really difficult to deal with all the B.S. I have to put up with but I have to remind my self I'm half way there. When I am done with this enlistment I will be at 12 years and I can't possibly quit now and waste the past 10 years of my life let alone the 12 years it will be when I get to make that choice again.

That is good info! I have been reading about changes in retirement and insurance as well. I too have heard there is a lot of B.S. and you just have to deal with it. But the person that is dishing it out, is that person being transferred on assignments as well? So in a sense, they will not be there as long as you have to be there? I have trouble right now because one of the perks that I liked is having health and dental after retirement. If Obamacare comes into effect, we could potentially have that already. Any thoughts?

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Don't bet on anything from the Military or the Government staying the same especially if you are looking at 20 years. My cousin Paul was in from 1940 to 1962 and stayed a 1st class PO because any time his wife had a baby, 5 boys, he would go over the hill to be with her if they would not give him leave. He always had shore duty when possible and had his family with him all of the time except when on board ship. The Navy was a way to make a living with good retirement but his family was more important to him. He also said as a peon he was able to play poker with enlisted men that were easy marks and he made as much money playing poker as he did as an E5.