U4 Minutes, June 2010

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Quit your bitching. Here's the latest that have been entered online, with thanks to Lisa for bothering to type them up.

U4WDA Minutes 06/24/2010

In Attendance: Jack Johnston/ Mike Johansen/ Lisa Rasmussen/ Christinne Westrich/ Matt Westrich/ Mike Taylor/ Gary Taylor /Rick Whiteside/ Kiel Renwick/ Linda Adams/ Stratton Graves and wife/ Joseph Colasanti/ John Washburn (and brother I think)
Conference Call: Don Black

A call to order was done.

Minutes for May:
 A motion was made to accept the minutes for May as corrected, and it was seconded, then voted on and unanimously approved.
General Announcements:
 We are moving forward with the 501 C 3.
New Business Members:
 None at this time.
New BOD Members:
 None at this time.
Upcoming Events:
 Summer Convention: This will be held on August 7th at the Utah County Equestrian Park in Lehi. Bear will get a map and it will be on the website. Some of the sponsors this year are Bully Dog Performance Diesel, Ken Garff Chrysler- Jeep, Nemesis, Low-Range, DZ, Marshall has talked about donating a roof-rack and Callie’s is catering it with their fantastic barbecue. Bear is still working on permits. There are some issues about going out on Little Moab. Todd contacted Gary Bagley and after much discussion it was deemed that we do not want to be involved in using this area because then #1- we would then be on the radar of the Forest Service and the BLM and #2- it would cost the club about $3000 to get a detailed map with the roads approved by a state-recognized archeologist. If we cannot prove the road was open since 1990, then they can close the road. There will not be an event attached to the Summer Convention at Little Moab. DirtHedz will donate most of the money to the Canaan Mountain Defense Fund, but they would like to see another group or one of the sponsors to do a match of those funds. NOTE: this was postponed, as per Bear's info in the Summer Convention thread from mid-July-- Tacoma
 Take Back Utah: There will be a Dutch oven dinner fund-raiser in Sandy on July 10th. The cost per plate is $25. The rally is on August 28th and will start at Liberty Park; the parade will start at 10 AM, and finish with a rally at noon at the State Capitol. Rick is the president of Take Back Utah and has been working hard on getting the permits for the rally. There was also a debate on land-use issues between Mike Lee and Tim Bridgewater. The goal of Take Back Utah is not to particularly focus on any one group, but to compliment (not compete with) any group that is already involved in land use issues and bring this effort to the forefront politically. If anyone wants more information about this go to TakeBackUtah.org. Rick will write a paragraph about this for the e-mail blast and also something for the Compass. Articles should be turned in at compasssubmissions@U4WDA.org.
 NPLD: The date for this is 9/25. DirtHedz did a recon mission up AF Canyon. There was a lot of damage up at MaryEllen’s Gulch. There is a bridge washed out and other things. Bear will continue talking with the Forest Service about this to see if they have any projects that need our help. As BOD members, it is our responsibility to keep our clubs informed of these activities and to help the clubs coordinate their projects and commit to doing them and turning in their time and reporting who participated so that they get credit with the state about hours spent to keep public lands open.
 DATC: There will be no DATC show this year.
 Winter Convention: Winter-On-The- Rocks by the Utah 4X4 club held in St. George in February has invited U4WDA to participate with them and hold their Winter Convention in conjunction with them for this event. Crawlfest will probably go on as before, so there will be two events a couple of weeks apart. More information to come.
Land-Use Update:
 Don reported that the BLM is starting to work on their travel management plan. Don thanked everyone who has made it to the meetings and wants to encourage us to continue studying the maps and all the trails to see if there is anything they may have missed. He would like an e-mail blast to go out on July 16th about this and he will write a paragraph and get it turned in to Shane. The travel management plan will be a three-year long process. Now is the time that we can make a difference. Jack thanked Don for all the information he has been able to give to help us understand the process better.
Treasurer’s Report:
 Jack Johnston reported that the general fund has $18,295, the Open Access fund has $2769, and the supplies fund has $392. *edited for privacy-- keep your tin hats off, it had to do w/a sponsor and that's all--- Tacoma
 A motion was made and seconded to offer $500 from the open access fund to go to the Canaan Mountain Defense Fund to build a promotional website with links from U4WDA such that other people can start sending money to help Dan Jessop with his lawsuit. This was voted on unanimously.
 This could also be a proposal for Area BFE. First there needs to be awareness about what is going on, so maybe Olaf or one of his group could write an article to include in the Compass, but also it should be suggested to them that they should get a webpage set up to accept online donations. Other suggestions were made including doing a banner ad or finding some other avenue such that they can raise money to help them resolve their situation.
Membership Director Report:
 Gary and his wife have been working hard to get all the membership information caught up and entered in the database. Also everything that came from Marshall has been done. The entire backlog has been caught up. The membership is over 500.
Webmaster Report:
 Shane Herzog was not here to report. Bear will give him a call.
Quartermaster Report:
 Quartermaster Sarge reported that he has done an inventory and are pretty low on shirts. We need to get shirts ordered so they will be ready. A committee was formed of Stratton and Stacy, Shane, and John to come up with a new design. These new shirts would be used for Summer Convention, NPLD and for memberships if new members want to buy them. They are coming up with a new logo that they will post on the forum for voting. By July 8 there will be at least two quotes for the printing of the 150 shirts. The color will also be decided depending on what the logo looks like. We also need to get new stickers with the new logo. The order will go out for 5000 vinyl stickers. Also a paper roll of kid stickers will also be made.
 Sarge asked if anyone had information about a wrap for the trailer. He was referred to Rawlin McGee in Orem at Signs Now. Sarge will contact him. The trailer also needs some shelves welded into it.
 Sarge was able to get some good discounts from Cutrubus Motors. Members of U4 will get 20% off parts and $10 off labor at Cutrubus Chrysler Jeep. At Suzuki, there will be 15% off parts and $10 off labor. And Pep Boys (at least in Ogden) will give U4 members a commercial discount. Thanks Sarge!
Compass Update:
 John Washburn reported that this next issue will be a little late. Many people did not get their articles in until way after the deadline. The next draft articles are due August 1 and the press day is September 2. There are currently articles on map-reading, the Summer Convention wrap-up (and if anyone has a camera please come and take lots of pictures at the convention), and there should be one on Take Back Utah.
Vice-President’s Reports: the VP reports will be put on the forum so the clubs’ activities will be on the website.
 All VP’s are to put their reports on the forum for all people to be able to read.
Delegates Update:
 Blue Ribbon Coalition- Jack reported BRC puts out monthly notices of what is happening in Utah and then Jack will make sure this gets on the forum for everyone to take a glance of.
 USA-ALL- Rick Whiteside reported that they are financially doing better. Everything is going along pretty smoothly. They are definitely involved in land use. There have been discussions about Emery County and the BLM has monthly ride-alongs that USA-ALL has been on.
 United Four Wheel Drive Association- Todd sent a report with Linda. This association has a trainer that will come out and educate BOD members to be trainers which will fulfill our mission of education to the community that uses the lands for off-road use. One big requirement is that they need folks to be CPR and first-aid certified. There are a couple of places that do this; they include scuba dive shops and the Boy Scouts. Todd may even get his instructor certificate so that he can teach us and then we can get the United 4WDA trainer to come out and train us.
Additional Business:
 Utah 4X4 Club has invited U4WDA to do our September Meeting in Moab on Friday, September 17 at 7PM at the Gravel Pit Bowling Lanes. They will provide refreshments. Since they have met the requirements, and this is one of the goals to hold some of our meetings in other locations throughout the state, a motion was made to accept this invitation and have our meeting early and in Moab on this date and at this time. This motion was seconded and voted on unanimously.

Thanks for posting this Tacoma.

:eek:

Treasurer’s Report:
 Jack Johnston reported that the general fund has $18,295, the Open Access fund has $2769, and the supplies fund has $392.
 A motion was made and seconded to offer $500 from the open access fund to go to the Canaan Mountain Defense Fund to build a promotional website with links from U4WDA such that other people can start sending money to help Dan Jessop with his lawsuit. This was voted on unanimously.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I haven't paid much attention to any Moab plans... so not sure if it was published anywhere.. but that meeting is open like the others as far as I know.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I haven't paid much attention to any Moab plans... so not sure if it was published anywhere.. but that meeting is open like the others as far as I know.

Well, that's a problem. That's great that they want to move the meeting around, but those of you that are U4 BOD need to let members or people interested know. It does no good to plan this, but not tell anyone :brett:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
:rofl: well now that you know.... you'll be going, right?

I'll take your point further and say that it does no good to tell people about meetings if no one bothers to show up. If Sandy is too far for people along the Wasatch Front!!, Moab might as well be the moon.

That said, if people FROM Moab or its environs would like to attend, PM Drtsqrl here-- Jeff is awesome and will probably be hitting a trail afterwards.

Last edited:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
:rofl: well now that you know.... you'll be going, right?

I'll take your point further and say that it does no good to tell people about meetings if no one bothers to show up. If Sandy is too far for people along the Wasatch Front!!, Moab might as well be the moon.

That said, if people FROM Moab or its environs would like to attend, PM Drtsqrl here-- Jeff is awesome and will probably be hitting a trail afterwards.

Nope, I won't be attending either......I've already planned out the few trips south I get to make this year and that's not one of the dates. :-\

As for all the regular meetings, I work during each and everyone that is planned. So, no luck there.

Steve J used to post the time and date for the meeting, does anyone do that now?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Steve used to have it in his signature. I should request it to be made a sticky.

I'll add it to my sig... for as many posts as I have, not many people can say they won't see it there :rofl: