U4WDA June Trail Cleanup: Jacob City Loop Trail: 6/30/12

U4WDA

Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association
[quote name='U4WDA' date='12 June 2012 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1339537715' post='141360']
What: U4WDA Jacob City Trail Cleanup in conjunction with the Tooele County Trails Committee
Date: 6/30/12
Time: 9am - 2pm
Place: Jacob City Loop Trail
Directions: From Tooele City, proceed south on SR-36 for 6 miles to Stockton. Turn left onto East Silver Avenue and head east and southeast for three mile to Jacob City Trailhead. Follow signage.

Meet at the trailhead parking lot at 9am. If you can't be there at 9am, please still come. We will send later groups out to different portions of the trail.

Tooele County will provide garbage bags and trail maps. U4WDA is looking for a member or member business to donate a Tooele County Dump Pass.

For more details about the trail, see http://www.tooelecountytrails.com/jacob_city_loop.html

For detailed directions, https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1+S+Main+St,+tooele,+ut&daddr=%2B40%C2%B0+25%27+18.18%22,+-112%C2%B0+19%27+13.92%22+%2840.421717,+-112.320533%29&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.480381,-112.303276&spn=0.194811,0.308647&sll=40.53148,-112.296785&sspn=0.006083,0.009645&geocode=FVZyagId5HVO-Sl59XyZ8LxShzFgGpDmG78Txg%3BFVXJaAId6x9O-Q&t=m&mra=ls&z=12
[/quote]

if i remember right the stockton side is a nice wide graded road. the ophir side is the narrow harder one. but it's been a few yrs since i've been up the stockton side.

Gonna try and be there.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
You can easily get a full size truck up to the overlook where the trail splits. You'll get some pinstriping for sure past there though, and there's not room to park very many rigs at that landing.

I'm working that weekend, but I might try and come out anyway.

sabatoa1

Is there going to be a group going up Soldier Canyon side to the bus? If so they will need a couple chainsaws that side is going to be pretty bad most likely an all day adventure.

ret32

So will a full size rig fit on this trail?
You can easily get a full size truck up to the overlook where the trail splits. You'll get some pinstriping for sure past there though, and there's not room to park very many rigs at that landing...
Is there going to be a group going up Soldier Canyon side to the bus? If so they will need a couple chainsaws that side is going to be pretty bad most likely an all day adventure.
To be upfront, I am not that familiar with this trail. I will be doing a pre-run this weekend to make sure I understand for myself all that I've been told. That being said...

A significant portion of the area that will need clean up will be full-size/ 2wd friendly. There are some portions of the trail higher up and going around the back of the mountain that gets narrow and a little bit rough. Certainly there is no need for every volunteer to bring in a trailered rock crawler.

We will be staging at the official Jacob City Loop Trailhead (on the Stockton side) maintained by the County. There is a kiosk and, from my understanding, a pit toilet. A representative of the Tooele County Trails Committee will be on hand to answer questions, provide garbage bags, pass out maps, and help us guide various vehicles to the appropriate locations. We have told the County we expect between 20 and 50 vehicles based on attendance at past clean ups. They did not indicate that there would be a parking problem, but there is certainly plenty of nearby options for overflow parking if needed.

Our goal isn't to get all attendees through the complete loop or to do any trail maintenance/ brush clearing, but simply to remove litter where needed. Tooele County is very concerned about the level of litter and dumping on this trail.

For more information about the trail, see http://www.tooelecountytrails.com/jacob_city_loop.html (click on the printable PDF icon unless you have some kind of radioactive super vision)

For detailed directions to the trailhead, see https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=1+S+Main+St,+tooele,+ut&daddr=%2B40%C2%B0+25%27+18.18%22,+-112%C2%B0+19%27+13.92%22+%2840.421717,+-112.320533%29&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.480381,-112.303276&spn=0.194811,0.308647&sll=40.53148,-112.296785&sspn=0.006083,0.009645&geocode=FVZyagId5HVO-Sl59XyZ8LxShzFgGpDmG78Txg%3BFVXJaAId6x9O-Q&t=m&mra=ls&z=12

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Great information. I am thinking it would be a good day for the family. We are not afraid to pick up litter... :)

I can probably bring a chainsaw if needed. :D

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We will be staging at the official Jacob City Loop Trailhead (on the Stockton side) maintained by the County. There is a kiosk and, from my understanding, a pit toilet. A representative of the Tooele County Trails Committee will be on hand to answer questions, provide garbage bags, pass out maps, and help us guide various vehicles to the appropriate locations. We have told the County we expect between 20 and 50 vehicles based on attendance at past clean ups. They did not indicate that there would be a parking problem, but there is certainly plenty of nearby options for overflow parking if needed.

There's oodles of parking where you're planning on staging.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Kudos to U4WDA for getting the monthly cleanup rolling again! We have a family reunion otherwise we would be in for this. Looking forward to the next one!

Our club went on a pre-run last Thursday. The road is indeed narrow, just wide enough for a JK Wrangler and not much more after the trail splits from the Jacob City mining area. To that area no problem with a full size vehicle. The Lone Peak 4 Wheelers is doing a club ride this Saturday on the front part of the trail to the mines. Because there is no passing other vehicles on the narrow trail, it would be crazy to attempt backing for a few miles on this narrow stretch. You wouldn't even be able to pass an ATV! This trail needs to be made into a one way.

Last edited:

ret32

Our club went on a pre-run last Thursday. The road is indeed narrow, just wide enough for a JK Wrangler and not much more after the trail splits from the Jacob City mining area. To that area no problem with a full size vehicle. The Lone Peak 4 Wheelers is doing a club ride this Saturday on the front part of the trail to the mines. Because there is no passing other vehicles on the narrow trail, it would be crazy to attempt backing for a few miles on this narrow stretch. You wouldn't even be able to pass an ATV! This trail needs to be made into a one way.
Thanks Jeeprassic. I'm going to be out there Saturday as well, although I'll most likely be checking out the alternate route looping down through Dry Canyon. Maybe I'll run into you. The Tooele County Trails Committee map directs users to run the main loop counter clockwise, but I don't think it is mandatory. We can ask them about that at the cleanup.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
The problem you will run into trying to make it one way, is there are several ways to get to and from Jacob City. You can come from soldier cyn, stockton, ophir and dry cyn. All the accesses are not full size friendly, but as with many trails that are narrow and traveled in both directions, there is tight sections but areas that i have gotten a jeep past a k5. The concern i have with people bringing chainsaws there is, some parts of the trails have trees that drape over the trail(like hanging tree) and they have been part of the trail for years. I hope i can make it out to help,sence this is in my own backyard and travel this trail often with my family in my jeep or on our bikes and 4wheelers.
Dwayne

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
The problem you will run into trying to make it one way, is there are several ways to get to and from Jacob City. You can come from soldier cyn, stockton, ophir and dry cyn. All the accesses are not full size friendly, but as with many trails that are narrow and traveled in both directions, there is tight sections but areas that i have gotten a jeep past a k5. The concern i have with people bringing chainsaws there is, some parts of the trails have trees that drape over the trail(like hanging tree) and they have been part of the trail for years. I hope i can make it out to help,sence this is in my own backyard and travel this trail often with my family in my jeep or on our bikes and 4wheelers.
Dwayne

ret32

Dwayne
I don't think "we" want to nor have any say in making it one way. My response to Jeeprassic that "we could ask them at the cleanup," was that we would ask whether the Tooele County Trails Commission has a preference as to one way portions or not, simply out of curiosity.

As to the chainsaws questions, we will not be doing any trail "maintenance." Our arrangement with the Tooele County Trails Commission is to do a trash cleanup, anything more would be at their request only. Even if they did want some minor maintenance done, I seriously doubt they would allow volunteers to operate chain saws under their liability waiver (the Forest Service won't even let you look at a chain saw without having gone through their by-invitation-only training: when on their errand).

Thanks for the info abhaulr1, we hope you can make it out.

Last edited:

ret32

Still looking for someone to donate a dump pass...
[quote name='U4WDA' date='12 June 2012 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1339537715' post='141360']
...Tooele County will provide garbage bags and trail maps. U4WDA is looking for a member or member business to donate a Tooele County Dump Pass...