U4WDA March Service Project - 3/17/12 - Little Sahara Sand Dunes

U4WDA

Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association
U4WDA invites you to join us for a Service Project at Little Sahara Sand Dunes. We will be working with the BLM to remove Fencing near the Jerico Picnic / Camping Loop. Rigs with Winch and rigging equipment are needed to complete this important project. Participants in the project receive a waived entrance fee. .

When: March 17th, 2012
Where: Little Sahara Sand Dunes - Meet in the Jerico camping loop at 8:00AM
Entrance Waiver requires advance notice to place you on the Waiver List at the front gate: Contact Larry Olsen to get your name on the waiver list or for more information.
Larry@U4WDA.ORG or at (801) 791-8446

Please RSVP to Larry as soon as possible. We will need about 40 volunteers to complete this project.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Cool. I'm planning on doing an over-nighter on the 16th out on the PET and come in from the cherry creek side on the 17th in the morning. I'll be there (unless my rig is having major problems and isn't back together by then).

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I may be bringing 10+ scouts if that's ok. We're looking for a campout for March, and I'd like them to be aware of the importance of taking care of our lands and state and national parks.

U4WDA

Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association
Is there an idea of the amount of time for the project?
Depends on the number of volunteers. Could be most of the day. Of course, if you're only able to help for part of the day, we're happy for whatever time you can give.
I may be bringing 10+ scouts if that's ok. We're looking for a campout for March, and I'd like them to be aware of the importance of taking care of our lands and state and national parks.
Contact Larry (first post) for details. I'm sure we will take any volunteers we can get, he may be able to hook you up with a campsite.

sixstringsteve

It turns out the scouts have another activity that day. I'm still in, but they won't be there.

Last edited:

1TonTom

Poser Offroad Bronco
I will be there, and i'm trying to round up some buddy's to come with. My Bronco is "Under Re- Construction" at the moment so I might ride down with somebody if I can't get anyone to come down.

sixstringsteve

Can we still be of service if we don't have a winch/rigging equipment? Sounds like a good way to get some hands-on experience using winches.

Any idea on the headcount so far?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Can we still be of service if we don't have a winch/rigging equipment? Sounds like a good way to get some hands-on experience using winches.

Any idea on the headcount so far?

Absolutely! Just bring some gloves and good shoes to help pickup stuff.

Also we will be playing in the dunes after we finish the project so don't hesitate to come, it will be fun.

We'd like to get 40 volunteers (anyone helping)
Which shouldn't be too bad. We had more than that on Rattlesnake and in Bountiful.

OLSEN

All, This is taken from my last contact with the BLM volunteer co-ordinator:

"Larry,I am looking forward to working with U4WDA and its members at Little Sahara. Maybe I am naïve, but I am hoping for a great turnout by your group, my managers will be there to see what we can do."

So....here are some answers to the above questions. YES PLEASE COME HELP even if you have no ride, the more the merrier and we need to demonstrate to the BLM that we are serious about OUR lands and the use of them. As of today at 12:27 we have 22 for sure and 7 maybes. This is scheduled for all day Saturday, unless we have ALOT of people and complete it before too late. I am in talks with BLM about getting some perks above and beyond the pure pleasure received from putting on a good business demonstation for them. We may get free vouchers for other recreation areas. I do not like to verbally sweeten any pot without the agreement being signed, but as I said, we are in talks about this. We are close to one week left before this project takes an actual form so please recruite many people. Thi

Last edited:

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok, I have an odd question... I should probably call Larry, but I am betting there are others wanting to ask the same question.

So is the plan to use winches to remove fence posts?

Because if it is I have had better luck using a chain and hi lift if I want to use the fence posts again or just using the truck and chain if I don't care about using the fence posts again.

Also I have no clue what they mean but "rigging equipment", so any clarity would be great.

Hope this makes sense.

OLSEN

Jinx,
Each year different portions of this fencing gets covered and hidden with blown sand, while the formerly covered areas get visible again. If you have spent time out in the area or others like it this will make sense. The fence for this project was originally set to create a 'safe zone' of ....acres for non-motorized use. We will be deconstructing this fence and saving what good wood there is so the BLM 'or us at a later date' can reconstruct this fence into a SMALLER non-motorized area.

The rigging (pullys) and winches are just what you are thinking, the same can be done with a highlift and chain. We need volunteers in numbers, to load and move wood more so that pulling poles up out of the sand. The fence is constructed with rebar that when re-bent 'or straightened' the horizontal poles can be removed from the vertical ones. The BLM is very aware that trying to 'rescue' buried poles will leave many broken, they are also aware that some or alot of buried poles will stay buried until the sand shifts again through the years and makes them visable. This is also a cleanup project in the sense that we will be picking up broken wood out of that area to make it more safe for visitors.

Again, we need more physical help than mechanical so please bring many volunteers. :)

Clear as slightly murky water now?
Thanks!
Olsen, L
U4WDA Board
4WD Enthusiast
Utah Public Lands Advocate

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Jinx,
Each year different portions of this fencing gets covered and hidden with blown sand, while the formerly covered areas get visible again. If you have spent time out in the area or others like it this will make sense. The fence for this project was originally set to create a 'safe zone' of ....acres for non-motorized use. We will be deconstructing this fence and saving what good wood there is so the BLM 'or us at a later date' can reconstruct this fence into a SMALLER non-motorized area.

That's great news! I was there a few months ago playing in the "no motorized vehicles" zone, and the fences were almost 100% submerged in sand. There were plenty of motorized vehicles in the area, and when we explained to them that they have all the sand there except a few acres, they still didn't leave (but that's another discussion for another thread). I'm glad that we'll be fixing this particular piece of fencing, because I use it and I have been noticing how bad that one section has gotten. I'm excited.