Ugrading ignition on 2000 XJ

Sounds simple like plug in a MSD box and some new wires and better plugs. But when i opened the hood the other day to look at the wires and what not I HAVE NONE ! Above the plugs is like a rail that houses a transformer of sorts for each plug and then the whole thing plugs into a dinky connector (4 wires 16-18 guage I think) how do you upgrade this system. O ya and obviously there is no distributor. Not that im having problem i just want more oomp out of the engine. Any ideas ?

cheapzuk

There is actually one coil per cylinder. You might be able to get an upgrade kit for it but I would be suprised if you gain anything from it.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Better plugs??? what do you figure that is....don't buy into those multi prong gimmicks. Your ignition sounds like a COP (Coil on plug/) setup in essence. They are capable of putting out a spark in excess of 100k volts....better than any MSD setup could give you. Also, the factory puts alot of research into plug design and gap specs. So, you probably won't find a "better plug" than stock...my .02

Caleb

BBowski82 said:
Better plugs??? what do you figure that is....don't buy into those multi prong gimmicks. Your ignition sounds like a COP (Coil on plug/) setup in essence. They are capable of putting out a spark in excess of 100k volts....better than any MSD setup could give you. Also, the factory puts alot of research into plug design and gap specs. So, you probably won't find a "better plug" than stock...my .02

I agree with this...isn;t it funny how people think the multi prong setups are so sweet cause they cost 4-5 times more than a factory plug:rofl:

cheapzuk

Multi prong plugs are for plug life more than performance. Also, don't let the guy at the parts store tell you that if you put platnums in they will give you more horse power. Platnums are also use only for plug life and not performance. If you are looking to get more performance from the plug, put in some denso iridiums. Whatever you do don't expect a huge increase in power.