UHP/LEO i need some info

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
what is plea and abeyance?
i've only been to court once and i got manhandled by the evil judge or more so the attorney lady :rofl:

i am certainly not going to fight the ticket, i never really intended to. the purpose of this thread was to find out if cops could radar like i said.
i was not going 90, but i was speeding. i was just amazed the guy said i was going 90 and actually wrote the ticket for 90 as well.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
what is plea and abeyance?
i've only been to court once and i got manhandled by the evil judge or more so the attorney lady :rofl:

i am certainly not going to fight the ticket, i never really intended to. the purpose of this thread was to find out if cops could radar like i said.
i was not going 90, but i was speeding. i was just amazed the guy said i was going 90 and actually wrote the ticket for 90 as well.

Plea in Abeyance= You plead guilty and pay the fine and the court holds on to the plea for a period of X months. If you recieve no new violations in the period of time and have paid the fines, the charge is dismissed. If you do get a new charge, you then become fully responsible for any santctions the judge wants to impose on the first charge as you have already pled guilty.

trpl xj

Basically you're toast. You can try and fight it but good luck on that. And you've got a bunch of pretty smart people that have replied to you about this. If you want an ever further explaination as to how it all works pm me and I'll tell you a little about it. I am radar and lidar cetified, infact I just got my certification about 2 weeks ago.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Anybody find it disturbing that you can't fight a falsified ticket without getting the run around by the judge? Since when are all officers completely honest with their job? I have my doubts for sure.

If he truely wasn't going 90, then I think the ticket should be dismissed no matter how fast he was going.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i called the justice court today and basically told them i was speeding but i certainly wasn't going 90 mph. i asked if they could reduce the ticket and i got transferred to the attorneys office. the lady was super nice and helpful and talked to the attorney for me. she got back on the phone and said they would reduce it by 5 mph/$75! obviously i was pretty excited of this result since it took about 5 minutes of my time and some niceness :D
we'll see what happens with my insurance co though :-\

Unicorn

'90 Yota
That happened to me in some hick town on the way back from EJS 04' and it was exactly the same situation, same speed and everything!

I was going to drive all the way out there to dispute it. I called to get an extension and instead they put out a warrent. I got pulled over the next day on the southwest side of utah lake and went on a half hour drive in hand cuffs to a smiths to get my bail from an ATM. Not cheap or fun.

When he drove by I had also just been passed by a big rig. I couldn't have been going too fast.

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I recently got a ticket while travelling through North Carolina. 79 in a 55. Within days, I received half a dozen letters from attorneys in the jurisdiction. I selected one of them, called, sent them a check after signing the necessary papers. A couple months later I received a letter stating my citation had been changed to a non-moving equipment violation and no points were to be assessed against my license.

The attorney fees were less than $500 and that included paying the court costs, fines and attorney fees. I didn't have to appear in court so it only took a couple of follow up calls for me to occasionally check the status of the case.

You might argue I paid more than the original ticket fine, but will not have it destroying my driver's and / or insurance records. The insurance company can't raise my rates.

How fast was I really going? My cruise control was set at 62 mph. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
First off, yes they can be in motion and radar you. But ONLY if you are closing on each other.

Back in 2000 (ya I realize it was 6yrs ago) when I was an LEO my radar gun only did moving targets going the other way (behind me going away or coming at me) BUT they DO have at least one unit out there (called a Stalker) that can detect speeds of moving targets that are traveling the same direction (behind or in front). Laser/Lidar does not work in moving mode (at least it didn't 6yrs ago).
Like has been said,
1. ask for proof that the officer is currently certified
2. ask for proof that the radar unit was certified, including the tuning fork(s), (this may not matter in the eyes of the court)
3. Was it raining that day? During my radar certification, I was specifically told not to rely on my gun in "moving" mode (stationary mode will still work) because the "reflectiveness" of the wet pavement and the radar not being able to get a good base line (patrol speed) to subtract from the "total speed".
(Some officers [including my FTO] will tell you that it doesn't realy matter, but if it was in the initial training it may help cast a "shadow of doubt".)

BUT:
4. remember that if you fight it, you are possibly going to be pulling the officer in on his day off (which always seemed to be the case) and this will piss him off and he will come prepared with every note he took and a refreshed memory of all the little details to testify about.:ugh: