Unibody and no doors

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Soooo, Herzog (at least I think it was your XJ I saw a pic of) et. al. What is the impact of running doorless w/ the unibody? Most of the ZJ crew is afraid of it as they don't think the doors will go on again as a result of the twisting of the unibody. Are the doors that big of a part of the structure? I realize that in a rollover you would deffinately want them on, but is it that big of a deal to take them off for some trail duty?

I really want to run doorless next time in Moab.

Cody

xjc

I give up :(
Iam no expert but that sounds like a wives tale to me. If twistin it up tweeks the body that much, I would think you wouldn't be able to get the doors open afterward. I have an XJ and wouldn't hesitate to run doorless. Besides, all the door is held on with is two little hinges and a pin. That can't provide too much rigidity to the body!

Any way, Thats the view of someone who has never done it.

Ps. I am an engineer but that doesn't neccesarily meen much;):confused:

moabjeeper

Man Down!!!!
I wanted to do that with my cherokee but I could never get the doors off. I only tired once though, but since I dont have a cherokee anymore I cant. I have heard roomers about that but I think they are just wives tells.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by xjc
Iam no expert but that sounds like a wives tale to me. If twistin it up tweeks the body that much, I would think you wouldn't be able to get the doors open afterward. I have an XJ and wouldn't hesitate to run doorless. Besides, all the door is held on with is two little hinges and a pin. That can't provide too much rigidity to the body!

Any way, Thats the view of someone who has never done it.

Ps. I am an engineer but that doesn't neccesarily meen much;):confused:

What he said. :)

Been running Moab and local trails doorless for about 3 years w/ no problems so far.

grinch

inner city redneck
Jason who works at fourwheel parts wholsalers her in utah has been funning his highly modified cherokee doorless and roofless for years....
We also took the doors off my little bros cheorkee and had no problems....

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here is some pictures I posted on NAXJA on the subject of quick disconnect door hinges. They're self explainatory. Just thought I might as well post them here too. :cool:

xj_quickhinge2.jpg

xj_quickhinge3.jpg

xj_quickhinge1.jpg

xjc

Nice! I've seen that mod on zukes but never on a cherokee. Did you do the rear doors as well?

I am just getting started with my Cherokee, well, I guess I realy haven't done alot more than buy some shackles and coils. So I like to see any info I can find.

Oh, by the way, WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE TIRES!!! any what kind of lift do you have, it looks like a custom longarm from your photo.

:) ;) :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by xjc
Nice! I've seen that mod on zukes but never on a cherokee. Did you do the rear doors as well?

Nope, just the front. If I did the rear doors, all of my tools and stuff would fall out. Well, nevermind I have everything strapped down.

Oh, by the way, WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE TIRES!!! any what kind of lift do you have, it looks like a custom longarm from your photo.

Those are 36x12.5x15 TSLs on about 6.5" - 7" of lift, major fender trimming... :D The long arms and crossmember themselves are made from scratch, but the bushings races and johnny joints were cut off of my old RE controll arms and welded on. Works flawless so far. :)

larm2.jpg

xjc

N i c e .... You're my hero:cool:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Just curious, do you compete, are you a member of any clubs? with a rig like that you ought to compete a little bit:D . ( if I looked at you info I would proably find out but I'm lazy that way)

Oh and by the way, If you have any suspension goodies that you have out grown, let me know. I would love to find a used D35 or D30 locker. Skid plates, control arms, etc. would also be candidates for a trade for greenbacks or anything else I could supply. If you need zinc plating or aluminum anodizing I can hook ya up. ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Well, I'm going down to Raelco in a lil' while to see if I can't dig up some quick release harness to fab up to my doors. Then I'll just have to rig up some of those quick release hinges and I'll be set!

Thanks all

Cody