Unimog?

bryce

Richard Crainium
hey can any one tell me a ball park price for a unimog?
I fond one for a screamin deal I think. Give me your input and are they really that good offroad? I think it is an 81 dont know the model# but it runs good and it is classified as a tractor.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
what is the screamin deal? my bro has a pretty sweet one he is trying to get 13,000 for. thats pretty expensive but his mog is in extremely good condition and was built very well, it is a 1961 404 with tons of new parts, new blue paint and a pretty sweet bed he had custom made for it

bryce

Richard Crainium
SUPERFLY said:
what is the screamin deal? my bro has a pretty sweet one he is trying to get 13,000 for. thats pretty expensive but his mog is in extremely good condition and was built very well, it is a 1961 404 with tons of new parts, new blue paint and a pretty sweet bed he had custom made for it

well if i tell you my deal then i cant sell it to you for 4gs more than i am gonna pay

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
oh and "are they really that good offroad?" ive seen a lot of rigs and the unimog is by far one of the coolest offroad vehicles ive ever seen, they are sorta a less manueverable buggy. it will go up anything it will get traction on, we took it to moab a month ago and it made potato salad look like a driveway

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
3 is a sweet deal 5 is pretty good too depending on the condition how many miles are on it? is it gas or diesel? 404? 406? does it have power steering?

bryce

Richard Crainium
I am convinced it is a 406 and i will have to go back and look at it to get any more info since i have only ever seen about 3 mogs i dont know squat about them
i am just doing some research tonight to see how high i dare go with the deal

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It really depends on the model etc, lower end 404's I've seen as low as 4k in fair condition, to around 10k for good shape, but remember most of these are 30-40 years old. You can import them for around 6-7k I believe from europe... don't know about the shipping though. There are several arounf town driving, A couple green ones, a red one, and a sweet yellow one I saw once..

Bart

I think they have a cool factor, but they are not, by any means, a big buggy. They do well for their size, but a built sami, jeep, yota, .... will out do them in Moab. But, if you get it, you would get to hang with the Mog crowd at Safari, just make sure to remember your bag of chips.:rofl:

I suspect I may be able to speak to this with a little more authority than most. I have owned my mog for 7 years now. As far as a price goes, it completely depends on condition, with running 404's going for 4-15K, 406 going for 8-40k, 416 for 12-50k, and 1300 for 18-60k, etc, etc. All of them can come with PTO. All of them except the 404 can come with hydraulics, dump beds, you name it.

The 404 is a different animal from the rest. If you haven't driven a mog, I suggest at least driving one before buying. Like others have mentioned, they are definitely not like a heavy US truck or even built buggy.

While surplus parts are common for 404's, you should be warned that parts for the rest, while available, are expensive. The good news is that they are very reliable when they have been maintained. The main thing to check on used ones is that the tranny and portal boxes are in good condition - lubed up and no water.

I think they are cool, but I am very biased :) Feel free to contact me on or off the board with any questions or tell me a little about the mog for guidance on price.

STPPINZ

I drove this on the Rubicon last summer and it was a blast. The 404.0 is hard to come by.

http://www.expedition-imports.com/workshop.htm

Anything vs a Mog is like compairing apples to oranges. But if you wanted to compair stock vehicles, a Mog would run circles around anything in the US. Any Jeep or Toyota has to put thousands and thousands of dollars to do what a Mog will stock. But there is no "perfect" vehicle for every situation. It does get a bit big in some spots. They are fun to drive though.

Bart

STPPINZ said:
I drove this on the Rubicon last summer and it was a blast. The 404.0 is hard to come by.

http://www.expedition-imports.com/workshop.htm

Anything vs a Mog is like compairing apples to oranges. But if you wanted to compair stock vehicles, a Mog would run circles around anything in the US. Any Jeep or Toyota has to put thousands and thousands of dollars to do what a Mog will stock. But there is no "perfect" vehicle for every situation. It does get a bit big in some spots. They are fun to drive though.

You're kidding, right? I guess it would depend on the terain, but a stock Rubicon Unlimited would kick Mog's butt in Moab. I saw the Cow Mog struggle on the Golden Stairs after my open/open XJ walked the same line. With the clearance and wheel base there are some situations where the Mog would shine, but overall the Rubi Unlimited would out perform it. YMMV.

STPPINZ

As with any truck or trail the thing that matters most is the driver. I think that most forget that most Moab trails were discovered with 4x2 trucks and station wagons. But the Rubi Unlimited with its stock 245/75R is a bit small for most at Moab that I have seen vs a stock Unimog with 37.5 tall tires. Im just talking out of experance with driving both platforms I guess. I can just remeber doing a lot with the Mog I was driving that some $50,000 rigs were having problems doing.

I garantee you will not see a stock anything except a mog or maybe a Pinz on a trail like the Rubicon that does not get extensive body damage.