unprepared vehicles on Pritchett Canyon

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
Last week me and my buddies headed out to Area BFE in moab to run coyote canyon. Got there on Saturday to find a lifted rubicon with a driver that said it was his second time taking it out, a old cruiser with 33's and no front locker and a TJ with 37's and stock axles! It was pretty frusterating when I watched them winch the first three obsticals. Might I add there was one CJ that was built at the tail end of there group? But still I dont understand taking those other rigs up that trail!! I walked the trail last year at EJS and it looked really difficult and there was some spots I wasnt quite sure if it was possible. But this time it looked like a highway, at least the first three obsticals, all the holes were filled in. We just turned around at the start. There isnt really enough room to pass on that trail but I guess it was just really frusterating to see that....

Last edited:

JeeperG

We all have the male factor in us about what we can and can't do!
How about quit bitching on a forum and educating?
maybe helping those that happen to break down or need assistance on a trail?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rondo

rondo
:rolleyes: Nobody here is saying that they won't help someone broke down on the trail...
And educating...i don't know, does he go tell them to get off the trail and go do fins and things?
Bitching...what else is the internet good for:D

JeeperG

:rolleyes: Nobody here is saying that they won't help someone broke down on the trail...
And educating...i don't know, does he go tell them to get off the trail and go do fins and things?
Bitching...what else is the internet good for:D

Didn't read the whole thread But YES the WEB is good :D Besides the trail bitching.

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
Well then give us all some education? A rig thats not capable should not be on that trail, it should be on one thats doable for the rig set up, its that simple!! What else is there to educate?

JeeperG

Well then give us all some education? A rig thats not capable should not be on that trail, it should be on one thats doable for the rig set up, its that simple!! What else is there to educate?
Unfortunatly! uncapable rigs end up on trails!

JeeperG

Yeah, why bother to have all the information before making a statment like that. :rolleyes:

Just to confirm, bitching about other people bitching about trails is a perfectly acceptable use for the Internet? :p
I have acceptable information to confirm that web wheeling is the shiznet! YO. :D

Last edited:

Cherokeester

I have seen POS rigs with no lockers make some really hard trails because of good drivers, and I have seen super built rigs suck because the driver blew as well. How do you rate a "capable rig"? It doesn't sound that simple to me.

BEACH

Casey Beach Racing
Supporting Member
Well to me it is a rig that is set up for the trail. Lockers, tires, axles ect... As far as the driver, your right, I as well have seen some pretty set up rigs that didnt do so great because of driver error and vis versa! I guess to each his own! There really isnt a right or wrong answer?

Last edited:

Crinco

Well, we have a scale for our trails that we use and for the most part understand. Why don't we start working on putting together a scale for the vehicles we drive that would be a tool to use to help people understand their rig isn't setup for certain trails?
The "RigRater that I have in my Signature might be a good example of a scoring system to use. Just an Idea.

thenag

How much more clear can you make the sign at constrictor? winch, 2 lockers, expect body damage. there are similar signs at most trail heads in moab too.

nathan
87 bronco with the goods from a 96 f350

thumperdee

I agree! If you are not even close to being prepared, do not take the trail! BUT!!!!! If you are running a prepared rig, but your driving skills are still at the rookie level, how else are you going to get experience without trying it over a few times??

My very first run my b-i-l's took me through Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim and I grenaded my rear drive line. While we were strapping me through the trail, we got called Trail Trash by the Red Rock assXXXXXX's!

Cut some slack Billy Bad Asses! We are all out for some fun, right???

jcanderson33jp

This is a thread that no one is going to be satisfied with. Last weekend I was on rusty nail and we were stuck behind some pretty built rigs for about 4 hours on the first two obsticles. If you have a built rig it doesn't mean that you can defy gravidy. you still need to take a decent line up an obsticle. I wouldn't say that my rig or any of the guys I go with have really built rigs but we still move through the tough trails at a pretty good pace.

mtnxr

I think there are some exception trails (AKA pritchet etc.) and then its up to the driver. We just took my 16 year old son in his 3.5 inch lifted XJ on 31's on fins&things for a learning experiment, then hells revenge and the next day poison spider. We had a great time....didn't have any problem with a pretty mellow rig on 4 rated trails and REAL rookie driver but I took time to spot him where needed and we avoided problems. I have been going to Moab since 1981 (oooo that makes me feel old) the key comes down to being respectful. If you are screwing up and wasting EVERYONES time.....let the rest through and continue playing as hard as you want. We have all seen great rigs and ill equiped rigs get pounded relentlessly but lets face it....its the driver making the decisions. If you are holding things up.....simply slide asside till your not and waste your own time....not everyone elses.... because its fun then. With some $$$ its way easy to buy all the right stuff.......experience creates the drivers and the spotters and there is only one way to get the experience. Have fun....cause thats what this is all about!

Last edited:

Kawi_babe

I just can't believe that Rondo didn't take me with him.... I know that gijohn would have loved to go too...

I have never been close to Pritchet so I don't know but is there a sign that states the equipment needed to make the trail? If not maybe we need to start making signs and posting them with both what the rig should have and maybe an experience meter for the driver too... Heck you could even take and post a picture of Rondo's truck on its lid from letting someone else spot him!

diablokicks

i agree with the play through.... if you want to take your time than let others go ahead of you... god don't any of you learn anything from watching golf? lol jk who watches golf? lol