up for grabs 2004 rubi

1995zj

I'm addicted
HA alright let's see how long I can keep this going....

His first email to me
Name: Seth grant
Email: cs021grant@gmail.com
Ad Number: 10833010
Ad Title: 37" TrXus Competition Compound tires

Hello do you still have it for sale? and how much is the last price?

My response...which he obviously didn't read very well
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in buying my tires.

The tires are in Grand Forks, ND and in case they gets sold i will take care of shipping, total price is $950.

I will ship them with a reliable and experienced shipping company called UPS (http://www.ups.com/)

I will take care of shipping charges, and I think I can have it shipped to you in 3-4 days.

I am a member of eBay's vehicle purchase protection program and by using this service you will get a 3 days inspection period after delivery.

Basically, these are the steps in order to close the deal:
- you make a deposit to eBay, not to me
- the tires will be shipped to you
- you test it for 3 days
- if you accept it, you pay the remaining balance to eBay
- if you reject it, they will refund your deposit and it will be shipped back on my expenses.
Fast, simple and safe process!

All we need to get started and open the eBay case is your name and shipping address.

This is a very simple and risk-free program and you don't even need an eBay account for this!

Thanks
Tyler

His reply
Hello thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right
now,i am buying this for my son and I am glad you accepted my offer.I
can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my
bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it),but i have
it attached to my
PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all
i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments,and if
you don't have a PayPal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at
WWW.PayPal.com,i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent
that will come for the pick
up after payments has been sorted

And my response :)
Hi. Thanks for mailing me back. I am an oceanographer also. I am at sea right now, I am selling this for my son and I am glad you want to purchase them. I can only take payment through PayPal at the moment as I don't have access to my
bank account online (I don't have internet banking with it). I insisted on using PayPal to pay because it is easiest for both parties and it is safe. All I will need is your PayPal email address to arrange the payments, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.PayPal.com. I will be expecting your email. Your agent is not needed to pick up the item because I use a reliable and experienced shipping service called UPS (www.ups.com). Once I have received payments from you, I will ship the item to you and you can inspect it like I stated in my last email.

Thanks,
Tyler

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
IIRC, I saw a news report where scammers had made identical webpages to fool the user into thinking it was their bank website.. You got as far as typing in your account # and pin, then the site just kind of dumped you.. They now have what they need.. The news story showed the real site and scam site side by side and it was quite impressive.

Always make sure you are on an https site when typing in any account info.. Also, take note of what sites your on down in teh lower left..

I wonder if this guy uses the same type of trick, with a cloned website.. ?

1995zj

I'm addicted
The paypal link the dude that emailed me back with was legit. I always scroll over a link to see where it's going to take me when clicking it. He just gave me the legit site though so I could "sign up" for PayPal.

bull7467

The Yellow Jeep Squad
I inquired about an ad for a mini-excavator a while back and got almost an identical response. So, how does this scam work? I presume you pay the deposit, and nothing ever shows up. Does he send you a link to fake Ebay to set up the transaction, and then he cleans out your account?

Typically it is similiar. They say that ebay or paypal will handle the transaction of title/money. Some will send you a link or page that resmbles a ebay purchase page and ask you to wire the money thru western union, moneygram, or offshore bank. Ebay will never handle the transaction or title work. After they have your money, you will almost never see or hear from them again. Almost got dopped on a RZR once, Decided I better get smart.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
You do know that because you email them you'll now win the UK lottery, inherit billions, and need to hold money for African princes on a daily basis now, right?
Wow!!!

I wish I got those emails winning the UK lottery, inheriting billions, or meeting some African princes. All I get is the emails claiming that they can help me with my small penis. It never really dawned on me, but now I look at myself in the mirror every morning with uncertainty. :ugh:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Wow!!!

I wish I got those emails winning the UK lottery, inheriting billions, or meeting some African princes. All I get is the emails claiming that they can help me with my small penis. It never really dawned on me, but now I look at myself in the mirror every morning with uncertainty. :ugh:

Just quoting this so it can't be deleted. ;)

rollover

His pay pal link is not a ligit paypal site. Note the ,i/ after the .com (http://www.paypal.com,i/) that is included. Clone site scamer looks legit but ends up taking you to the cloned scam site.

He/She makes it look like he just made a typo but noway.
"set one up at WWW.PayPal.com,i will be expecting your email."

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
His pay pal link is not a ligit paypal site. Note the ,i/ after the .com (http://www.paypal.com,i/) that is included. Clone site scamer looks legit but ends up taking you to the cloned scam site.

He/She makes it look like he just made a typo but noway.
"set one up at WWW.PayPal.com,i will be expecting your email."
this is true but that link is just a typo. when clicked on it comes up with invalid url. both with i.e, fire fox and google chrome.
3e682cea.jpg