UP in trouble over fire in SLC

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3657436

I've worked at that location many times, sad thing is that Union Pacific will more than likely pay for everything the pallet company asks for and more, even if they can't be proven at fault.

That's also another reason I'm doing the job I have, clearing brush from the tracks... :eek:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Y'know, I was wondering if this was going to happen. News kept saying how it was started by a train, blah blah. Ok, sure. So now UP is just going to get screwed regardless, because how could they prove otherwise? I actually feel bad for UP.

And I'm still jealous of that awesome brush machine. Post the pic again!! post it post it post it!!!!

Greg

Admin
Y'know, I was wondering if this was going to happen. News kept saying how it was started by a train, blah blah. Ok, sure. So now UP is just going to get screwed regardless, because how could they prove otherwise? I actually feel bad for UP.

And I'm still jealous of that awesome brush machine. Post the pic again!! post it post it post it!!!!

Some of the work that I've done in that area involved cutting rail with a hydraulic rail saw... sparks flying everywhere. I wondered how easily that place would go up! We're very careful, of course, using spark shields, having pressured water cans, shovels, etc. If the spark indeed was caused by UP, then fine... the company makes enough damn money, a little fire isn't going to put a dent in their funds.

I worked on a fire out on I80, towards Tooele a few yrs ago. It was right by to that closed rest area... the fire was obviously started by a cigarette butt tossed out the window, then crept uphill, towards the tracks. The UHP blamed it on a passing train. :rolleyes: Makes me wonder how accurate their train-fire statistics are.

The machine pics are here- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=520161&postcount=9

It's called a brush cutter, but can bring down much more. :D We had been working in a redrock canyon next to the Gunnison River recently, cutting sagebrush away from the track. Apparently there's some crossings that need to be cleared in Denver, so we're moving up there tomorrow and working this way. :-\

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
:D

They make some CRAZY pieces of equipment for line-clearing and right-of-ways. Most of them are some kind of variant on the "blades on an arm" motif, and they are ALL badass!!!

Remind to come get that tablet!! I got called up to work early. -_-

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The UHP blamed it on a passing train. :rolleyes: Makes me wonder how accurate their train-fire statistics are.

Yeah, really. I'm always a little dubious. :D I haven't seen any sparking trains lately. *shrug*

We had been working in a redrock canyon next to the Gunnison River recently, cutting sagebrush away from the track.

Lucky you! That's perty country right there. I was just discussing the joys of the Black Canyon here about 10min ago. :D

hoxviii

Ford-natic
I was actually running up Bangarter Hwy right after it started burning, got a good 10 or 15 minutes of video, including a couple propane tanks going. It was right after that that they started clearing observers from the highway.

That night I got home and read the news, one of the quotes being from the owner of the pallet company saying "we just want to be sure blame gets placed in the right place" :rolleyes:

Why does everything have to be about blame? Isn't that what you get insurance for. . . .

Justin

Greg

Admin
I was actually running up Bangarter Hwy right after it started burning, got a good 10 or 15 minutes of video, including a couple propane tanks going. It was right after that that they started clearing observers from the highway.

That night I got home and read the news, one of the quotes being from the owner of the pallet company saying "we just want to be sure blame gets placed in the right place" :rolleyes:

Why does everything have to be about blame? Isn't that what you get insurance for. . . .

Justin

Interesting... smells like insurance fraud with that comment. Honestly, how much can a pallet company be worth? Claim the insurance for a payoff, sue the railroad for a boatload of cash, then sell the freshly burned property for big bucks. Sounds like a good retirement plan!

Oh... are you going to upload that video to YouTube? I love watching things burn. :guilty:

hoxviii

Ford-natic
Interesting... smells like insurance fraud with that comment. Honestly, how much can a pallet company be worth? Claim the insurance for a payoff, sue the railroad for a boatload of cash, then sell the freshly burned property for big bucks. Sounds like a good retirement plan!

Oh... are you going to upload that video to YouTube? I love watching things burn. :guilty:

I'm looking for the article with the quote, it was from one on=f the local TV stations.

As for video, i need to break down and buy a firewire cable. . .

My question is, wouldn't it be just as much the pallet company's fault as UP's? The train may have "sparked", but you shouldn't be leaving highly flammable materials lying around- even if your primary product is one of the greatest firestarters known to man.

Justin

Last edited: