Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

sixstringsteve

Cool, thanks for securing the spot for us Brian. We'll look for your rig and pull in there.

Look for:

a green tacoma - sixstringsteve + wife + brother.
a black TJ on 35s - turbominivan
a silver JK on 35-37ish tires - lhracing
a white TJ on 35's - (Kristy's rig)
a black TJ on 37s - Mike (Kristy's husband)
a red 4-door JK on 35s (not yours, our friends from NM)
a JK - Chris
a Green Scrambler of amazingness - Maverick
??? - howardridge

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
If anyone wants it I have a GPX file with directions from Carson City to Loon Lake. It's too big to post up here but I can e-mail it.

Once we get the entire group together we will change. We'll use 16 to meet up together at loon.
You gonna be on 16 on the freeway too? Just in case we roll together.

A couple of my guys came back through there yesterday, took for-e-ver. Maybe Brian can send you a text and say how long to get to Carson City. Apparently it's 8 hours (at 75) to get to where I am leaving my trailer in Dayton (533 miles). Construction zones may add an hour. Then 3 hours to Loon Lake (116 miles).

What route are you taking from I-80 to Loon?

If anyone wants it I have a GPX file with directions from Carson City to Loon Lake. It's too big to post up here but I can e-mail it.

Hwy 50 around the south end of Tahoe?

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Yeah Highway 50 South from Carson City down south around Tahoe which is a drive I'm not fond of with all the hills but it seems to be the shortest route. Google maps says it's 2 hours 48 minutes for the 94 miles from Carson City. Probably tack on up to an hour for construction, towing and slightly underpowered trail rigs.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Another option would be 395 South to 89, and 89 over to 50 which would eliminate the winding roads through the hills between Carson and Tahoe. That would be 107 miles and 2 hours 55 minutes according to google maps.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Another option would be 395 South to 89, and 89 over to 50 which would eliminate the winding roads through the hills between Carson and Tahoe. That would be 107 miles and 2 hours 55 minutes according to google maps.

My vote: I like this idea. Even though it's a few more miles, it sounds like easier going.

Having said that, are we gonna get together for dinner (read: at an actual restaurant) that evening? If so, this may influence our route. Carson City might be too early, for example. Would we rather aim for South Lake Tahoe? Or perhaps gamble with one of the tiny towns in the area?

Yeah Highway 50 South from Carson City down south around Tahoe which is a drive I'm not fond of with all the hills but it seems to be the shortest route. Google maps says it's 2 hours 48 minutes for the 94 miles from Carson City. Probably tack on up to an hour for construction, towing and slightly underpowered trail rigs.

Construction: check
Towing: trailer will be back in Dayton.
Underpowered rigs: Ummm...

My vote: I like this idea. Even though it's a few more miles, it sounds like easier going.

Having said that, are we gonna get together for dinner (read: at an actual restaurant) that evening? If so, this may influence our route. Carson City might be too early, for example. Would we rather aim for South Lake Tahoe? Or perhaps gamble with one of the tiny towns in the area?

Gamble, hehe, you're punny.

Minden is not the recommended route. My PAA has spent a lot of time in the area and recommends South Lake Tahoe over Minden route. The wigglies between Minden and the summit are worse than the wigglies between Carson and Lake Tahoe. Plus, restaurants in South Tahoe.

Also, she recommends getting to the summit while it is still light: awesome view from there. Summit: 38.8128, -120.0307, 7400'

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Gamble, hehe, you're punny.

rimshot2.gif

Minden is not the recommended route.

Okay, fine with me. Let's head through South Tahoe instead.

Plus, restaurants in South Tahoe.

I'm already on board--no more temptation required. ;)

lhracing

I have a slight change in travel plans. My son and I are going to get an earlier start. We should be 1 to 2 hours ahead of the group and will meet up with everyone at Loon Lake. Steve you have my cell phone number give me a call when you get on the road.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Front bump stops done, rear diff leak fixed, front bumper skid staightened out and installed, spare parts for myself and some spare jk parts that won't work on mine bit there are a few other JK's coming so why not, all that is done and a few more little things to do and I am ready.